Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
8th Gen Believer
4,066 Posts
I fixed mine with a pair of socks. In 8th gen sedans you can crawl into the trunk, see the metal supports the shelf rests on, then insulate them from each other.

·
2nd Accord
111 Posts
How did they fix yours? I had Honda apply the TSB but it didn't work and mine still rattles regardless if music is playing or not. Can you provide in detail what they did to fix the issue?
All I can tell you is they said they applied foam tape. They did not give any detail.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My issue is that the rear deck, around the third break light (bump), is hitting the window regardless if the audio is on or not. It's all temperature related. The rear deck warps, and rattles happen all over the place. And when you take it back to the dealer, the conditions aren't right and they can't see the issue.

·
Reverse
144 Posts
I agree with the above concept.
I have chased down back deck rattles many times now and added adhesive felt or padding in lots of places. The spots that I've worked with don't make noise, but somewhere else does when the temperature changes significantly. On a cold morning the plastic might rattle against the glass and then later it the day it won't.

I have performed the recall procedure as directed and it has done better than some other attempts, but it hasn't been a total fix for me after the weather changes.

If it's working great for others, I'm glad, but it's not maybe a complete fix for all. :)

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T
4 Posts
TSB 19-044 "2018 Accord: Rear Tray Rattles" was released on April 23, 2019.

The TSB currently applies only to a range of 2018 models equipped with a subwoofer.
First post on the forum is dedicated to the rattle I have lol.

I set up a service appointment for this Saturday morning to have Honda address this. I do have a 2.0 Sport which makes mine different but Im wondering if they can do this.

Just called to confirm and the service advisor looked the TSB up and mentioned that they will check my VIN but yet also said they should be able to diagnose this when I arrive.

I just wanted to know if you all think I will have any success and luck in this.

I just had a kicker subwoofer installed and I do have the power turned down to about 3-4/10th's but when I turn up the volume to 23 thats when the rattle actually starts occurring.

My car is certified pre owned so its under warranty based on the age and mileage as well.

Just want to know if you all think I have a chance of getting them to perform this TSB.

Any insight will help

·
Still Night Pearl 2020 Accord 1.5T Sport
11 Posts
First post on the forum is dedicated to the rattle I have lol.

I set up a service appointment for this Saturday morning to have Honda address this. I do have a 2.0 Sport which makes mine different but Im wondering if they can do this.

Just called to confirm and the service advisor looked the TSB up and mentioned that they will check my VIN but yet also said they should be able to diagnose this when I arrive.

I just wanted to know if you all think I will have any success and luck in this.

I just had a kicker subwoofer installed and I do have the power turned down to about 3-4/10th's but when I turn up the volume to 23 thats when the rattle actually starts occurring.

My car is certified pre owned so its under warranty based on the age and mileage as well.

Just want to know if you all think I have a chance of getting them to perform this TSB.

Any insight will help
I took mine into Honda and they said it was my rear window tints. I ended up stuffing some foam insulation along the back and I havent had the sound/rattle since. I put it in between where the window meets the rear deck, specifically the middle brake light. Used a hanger to stuff it in there.

·
Registered
2019 Platinum Pearl White 2.0 Sport 6MT
157 Posts
2018 Accord Touring. Back deck of window rattles during heavy Bass songs. Have not been able to pinpoint it yet.
Is it just when you play music? I had a rwal bad rattle from just driving on bumpy roads...took it to my local dealership, and they fixed it for me under warranty.

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T
4 Posts
I took mine into Honda and they said it was my rear window tints. I ended up stuffing some foam insulation along the back and I havent had the sound/rattle since. I put it in between where the window meets the rear deck, specifically the middle brake light. Used a hanger to stuff it in there.
Gotcha. I really want it to look clean. I have a small piece of black foam back there currently between the brake light and the window but I dont want it there. Trying to have it as clean as possible, but ill keep this as a backup option.

My windows are also tinted but it was tinted from the Honda dealership it was sold from itself so hopefully they dont give me that answer 🤞

·
Still Night Pearl 2020 Accord 1.5T Sport
11 Posts
Gotcha. I really want it to look clean. I have a small piece of black foam back there currently between the brake light and the window but I dont want it there. Trying to have it as clean as possible, but ill keep this as a backup option.

My windows are also tinted but it was tinted from the Honda dealership it was sold from itself so hopefully they dont give me that answer 🤞
Honda dealerships don't tint their cars. They use a third party to do it. I was able to stuff the foam in the crack with the hanger so you cannot see it. I bought some real thin rope like foam and it worked great.

·
Super Moderator
1,744 Posts
Honda dealerships don't tint their cars.
Some do. My closest Honda dealer has an employee that tints windows all day long. They've been tinting their own windows for years. My second-closest Honda dealer subs that out to a local tint shop.

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T
4 Posts
Some do. My closest Honda dealer has an employee that tints windows all day long. They've been tinting their own windows for years. My second-closest Honda dealer subs that out to a local tint shop.
Prob what mine did. I have the paperwork for it as well.

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T
4 Posts
Update:

Went to dealer and they wont diagnose because of the aftermarket subwoofer. I explained that the issue is the same regardless of if it’s a touring model subwoofer or aftermarket (the rear shelf vibrates regardless ) but they weren’t budging.

Crazy how they have a solution for this but won’t apply it unless they have certain requirements. Was worth a try.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Update:

Went to dealer and they wont diagnose because of the aftermarket subwoofer. I explained that the issue is the same regardless of if it’s a touring model subwoofer or aftermarket (the rear shelf vibrates regardless ) but they weren’t budging.

Crazy how they have a solution for this but won’t apply it unless they have certain requirements. Was worth a try.
Because they don't want to deal with people complaining later that they broke something. They want to follow Honda's guides to the dot because then they can hassle Honda if anything happens.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is what i used to stuff between the rear deck and window to help fix the rattle. I just used a wooden ruler to shove it down below the line on the rear window so it could not be seen from the outside. I am just not very keen on the dealership tearing my car apart to fix it when I was able to fix it on my 08. They scratched the crap out of my trunk lid to replace a taillight that was accumulating water on the inside. Needless to say I will be taking my car to a different dealership for service in the future.
I know this post has aged, but my 2018 EX-L also rattles annoyingly from the rear. I went ahead and got some of this backer rod. My only concern is, my windows are tinted, as well. Have you had, or do you foresee any problems with this foam in contact with the tint and causing the tint to be damaged? If not, I'm willing to give this a shot.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know this post has aged, but my 2018 EX-L also rattles annoyingly from the rear. I went ahead and got some of this backer rod. My only concern is, my windows are tinted, as well. Have you had, or do you foresee any problems with this foam in contact with the tint and causing the tint to be damaged? If not, I'm willing to give this a shot.
I also have tinted windows and haven't had issues with it. The places to focus on are the outside corners of the package tray where the window curves. I am going to order some Kilmat and line the rear deck and the plastic package tray.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts