Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Reflections Auto Detail
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to owning this car, I'd never heard the term "compliance bushing". However, since joining this forum, I've read a number of posts which discuss them. What I haven't been able to glean are the signs and symptoms associated with those needing replacement. So, what are the symptoms of bad compliance bushings and what is the outcome to the rest of the suspension/car if ignored and you continue to drive the car without repairing it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Jack it up and look for cracking/dry rot. If ignored there will b a clunking that gets increasingly worse until the bushing completely fails ruining at least ur day.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
with a 2003 it's certainly cracked. it's not a great design because of how much it flexes, so it has no choice to crack over time. replacing them yourself is a piece of cake with a few tools. there's a couple good write ups around here if you look.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,455 Posts
You will easily see the cracks before you notice any symptoms. After the bushing has cracked all the way around, then you will hear the clunking noises from the control arm hitting the flanges above and below it. My suspension did feel a little more solid after replacing the torn compliance bushings, but maybe it was just a placebo effect. The cracks are a lot more visible with the car jacked up, and the wheel hanging on the suspension.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts