Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always loved my 96 Accord and ever since the motor went in it I've always wanted to fix it or buy another one. It's probably one of my favorite cars ever made. Well, I bought one with a strong motor, but the body is a little rough. I planned to just drive it as a beater to/from work, around town etc. This way I could stop putting soo many miles on my TL. My goal is to put as little money as possible into this thing. Well, not long after getting it the differential bearings started making noise. It's a pretty loud growl. You can also feel the play where the axle goes into the transmission.

I looked around and found a few transmissions at a junk yard for a reasonable price, but I'm really dreading the labor of putting it in. Either I pay a shop an outrageous price or I tackle it myself. Neither do I really want to do. So I'm considering just driving it until it dies? Any harm in this? My only fear is that I've seen rear ends lock up on trucks when the bearings failed. Is this a concern on these? I don't want the front wheels locking up while I'm going down the highway. I'm basically just wondering if it's something I need to fix immediately, or if it's something I should just keep driving until it dies since I'll be replacing the transmission anyway. If the car lasts another 3-4 months, I'll be ecstatic with it and feel like I got my moneys worth. Anything past that would just be a bonus.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts