Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I took my '06 Accord to rust-proof at Krown (a Canadian chain). Afterwards I found out what a terrible job they did with the drilling - one of the plugs doesn't even fit flat on the surface. I had to spray extra rust proofing around the plug so the water wouldn't seep through the hole every time I wash my car.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

Thanks!
Eric

Attachments

·
7th Gear
3,424 Posts
Take it back and make them do it right.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in Toronto with pretty bad winter and roads are salted 5 months of the year. So rust proofing is necessity.

·
Super Moderator
7,848 Posts
Your first mistake was getting rust proofing.
Disagree, my 10 year old 1996 Integra had no rust when I sold it in the typically susceptible areas like rear wheel arch, bottom of door corners, tail gate opening etc. as compared to many similar model year Integra, I have to attribute this to me spraying the thin liquid type rustproofing such as Krown or Rust-Check every fall.

OP, pop the plastic plug off to see if there is anything obvious, it maybe a plug that was installed crooked, maybe caught an edge of the plug etc.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Disagree, my 10 year old 1996 Integra had no rust when I sold it in the typically susceptible areas like rear wheel arch, bottom of door corners, tail gate opening etc. as compared to many similar model year Integra, I have to attribute this to me spraying the thin liquid type rustproofing such as Krown or Rust-Check every fall.

OP, pop the plastic plug off to see if there is anything obvious, it maybe a plug that was installed crooked, maybe caught an edge of the plug etc.
Well what do I know:lmao:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I still don't even understand what's getting rust-proofed? Are there holes in the body where water can get into things like door panels?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@thisaznboi88
about CAN$130

@ikethegreat
to get to the inside of the panels

@jdmorg
exactly - because salt water can get in during winter

·
Registered
595 Posts
@thisaznboi88
about CAN$130

@ikethegreat
to get to the inside of the panels

@jdmorg
exactly - because salt water can get in during winter
Soooo through these little holes and through application of the product, the whole inner door panel is completely rust proof?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Maybe this whole conversation is going over my head, but this all sounds like snake oil to me. I don't think I've ever seen a car made in this decade that had those kinds of rust issues.

As for road salt and grime, sealant, wax and a good spray down of the undercarriage in the spring. Some of the drive-through tunnels around me even have the undercarriage spray option. I spring for that and then just scoot out before the soap starts falling (those soaps can be harsh for wax)

·
4,637 Posts
In the US a thick goop is used and should be avoided at all costs. Up North it's thin like WD-40 and is widely used since it works very well. Not sure why the good stuff hasn't migrated South but probably has something to do with patents I'm guessing.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just don't understand it as I've never heard of it before. What about things like the window and door mechanisms? The speakers? The wiring? Is everything coated?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just don't understand it as I've never heard of it before. What about things like the window and door mechanisms? The speakers? The wiring? Is everything coated?
They stick a long tube inside the panel through the hole and spray. The windows usually don't get coated but not sure about other parts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts