Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup Guys,

My wife owns a 2000 Accord EX V6, for some reason the car kicks when placed in reverse from any gear when its cold. I dont have the problem when i place it back on park or drive after having it in reverse and i dont have the problem when the car is already warmed up. This only happens when its cold. I think it might be a bad motor mount but i'm not sure which one. Has anyone had this problem? Can anyone offer some feedback? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dont know if you already know but our V6 trannys are prone to die... i dont think it would be a mount only because it doesnt do it when its warm. if its a bad mount it will do it all the time not just cold.. Check your fluids would be my first option. even try a fluid flush and new fluids.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
metrick1235 thanks for your reply. Yes i was aware of that. I just find it strange that it doesnt do it all the time. I asked a couple of people including my mechanic who believes its a bad mount. He noticed that the top left (passenger) side motor mount was bad and requested that i replace that one first. However i will still check the fluids. Thanks

Has anyone on the board encountered this problem?

·
Super Moderator
4,311 Posts
It's probably the rear mount. When mine went bad the car would slam in reverse. It happens less when the car warms up because the RPMs are a little lower once the car is warm. I had to replace all 3

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your feedback. I took the car to my mechanic yesterday, after having me switch gears he stated the mounts may be bad. He said the upper passenger side mount was definitely bad and should begin by replacing that one first.

I tried checking the Transmission fluid i noticed i was receiving different readings so I double checked myself on the process by confirming with the manual. The manual says to check the fluid level with the engine at normal operating temperature. Furthermore it says to shut the engine off. However ive always done it leaving the engine on. I dont recall ever shutting the car off to check the transmission fluid. Can anyone confirm this?

I recall having this exact problem with my previous car, a 99 eclipse spyder. Only it would kick going from reverse into drive and only when the car was cold due to the high idle. Once i replaced the top right motor mount the problem stopped.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
The intermittent slamming into reverse is an early sign of pressure issues within the trans. The '98 here, on it's second trans with more than 100k on it (265k total on car) is doing that slam only once in a while when cold.

You can check the mounts by doing the following:

Get it warmed up.

Place the car in drive as normal, left foot on brake, step down on accelerator with right foot quickly about 1/2 way and immediately release. You can have a helper watch the engine or if it's bad enough, you'll feel the engine rise out of the engine compartment. Some movement is normal, but if it jumps up, then back down, the front rad side, lower mount is bad.

Now, place it in reverse, do the same as above. If the engine rolls up from the back and thumps back down, the rear side center mount near the firewall is bad.

Both the front and rear mounts are vacuum controlled hydraulic on the gen 6 V6.

The timing belt, or right side mount, isn't hydraulic, but can rip, usually you'll feel vibrations, some movement or clunking, it's not really a full weight carrying mount.

The trans should be checked at either temp, after the car is started, run through all gear ranges, put in park and shut off. Check the level within 1 minute after shut down.
Cold the level should be at least at the minimum dot, hot it can be slightly over, but not more than a half "dot" above it. Hot is trans temp of 180 degrees or more. Cold is anything from about 100 down.

If you haven't done a fluid change in the trans in more than 30k you should. Get it very hot, and drain it. Fill it with 3qts, run it for a bit through the gears. Dump it again. Do it 3 or 4 times to get complete clean fluid.

On the first drain, note what's on the drain plug's magnet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts