Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 2nd time in one month that the battery died after a big storm. My 2005 Accord is parked outside the garage, with all windows shut. I guess some circuit issues. Is there anything easy to check/fix DIY before I have the dealer investigate?

The battery is brand new from Costco. (I replaced a new one last winter, and replaced it a month ago when it died after a storm.)

Currently it reads 2.1mA with all door closed.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very similar to this one:
Battery Issues. (dead battery after it rains only...fine otherwise ) HELP! - Honda-Tech

Maybe a short? how to check comon short issues? A month ago when this first happened, I pulled out all fuses, they all seem fine. I replaced with a brand new battery from Costco. I was also after a heavy rain. I have been driving daily since then, and no issues at all, until the heavy rain last night.

The stereo has not been working properly after I accidentally left the window open about 3mon ago on a rainy night. Maybe this is related to the short.

·
Elvira
3,681 Posts
Very similar to this one:
Battery Issues. (dead battery after it rains only...fine otherwise ) HELP! - Honda-Tech

Maybe a short? how to check comon short issues? A month ago when this first happened, I pulled out all fuses, they all seem fine. I replaced with a brand new battery from Costco. I was also after a heavy rain. I have been driving daily since then, and no issues at all, until the heavy rain last night.

The stereo has not been working properly after I accidentally left the window open about 3mon ago on a rainy night. Maybe this is related to the short.
Driver door window left open may have soaked switch pod and now every time it rains the corrosion gets affected with moisture (high resistance short and may not pop a fuse). Pull the fuse for the windows and door locks,anything in the door, and check parasitic draw. Remember the draw will be high for some time after shutting off the engine. Approximately 15 minutes or so depending on options, alarms,etc

What got wet first time you forgot the window open?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With a more accurate multimeter, here is the draw on the battery:

Doors closed, 0.8A
Doors closed, with interior light fuse removed (fuse 6), 0.4A
Doors closed, with back-up light fuse removed (fuse 7), 0.6A
Doors, closed with both removed 0.2A.

I checked the floor mat, there is no obvious water leakage.

I found there is some water remaining on the windowshield drainage on the passenger side. Is this normal?

Under the hood, the front left corner has some water left as well. (just under the remaning water on the windowshield.

3 mon ago, when the windows were not closed, the panel was wet, the floor mats wer a little wet as well.

Attachments

·
Elvira
3,681 Posts
.2 mA is high as were all the draws you measured.

maximum draw in quiescent "sleep" mode should not be more than .030 mA. .050mA would be the max.

Little experiment I found the draw was actually .009mA after everything went to sleep after 30 minutes.

Those light circuits may have a lot to do with the high draw.

·
Elvira
3,681 Posts
.2 mA is high as were all the draws you measured.

maximum draw in quiescent "sleep" mode should not be more than .030 mA. .050mA would be the max.

Little experiment I found the draw was actually .009mA after everything went to sleep after 30 minutes.

Those light circuits may have a lot to do with the high draw.
My Lord why didn't someone catch me on this post. :headbash:

It should read...

.2A (200mA) is high as were all the draws you measured.

maximum draw in quiescent "sleep" mode should not be more than .030A (30 mA). .050A (50mA) would be the max.

Little experiment I found the draw was actually .009A (9mA) after everything went to sleep after 30 minutes.

Better late than never. Sorry for the misinformation.:headbash:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts