Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Honda Accord EXL and the battery constantly drains. The battery tests good, the alternator tests good. Has anyone experienced issues with a battery drain, if so, what was the problem...

·
HK Moderator
13,928 Posts
Aftermarket radio, dash cam, alarm, tail lights, fog lights, etc...?

There are some good YouTube videos from Eric The Car Guy on pulling fuses one at a time to see if that stops the draw- and that is how to find out your parasitic draw fault.

Or do you sit in a parking lot with the engine off and listen to 20 minutes of music on your lunch break, then drive 1.2 miles back home at the end of the day?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Did you or the previous owner install any aftermarket electronics? If installed improperly they can cause what's called a parasitic battery drain. They are constantly drawing just a little bit of current. The suggestion to remove the fuses while testing the battery connections with a multimeter is a good one. I can't remember the exact steps, but there is mention above about some helpful YouTube vids.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have a 2009 Honda Accord EXL and the battery constantly drains. The battery tests good, the alternator tests good.
What is "tests good", what are the numeric values? Voltage and CCA

Has anyone experienced issues with a battery drain, if so, what was the problem...
Yes, the battery was old and undersized to begin with. I replaced the 51Rs on both my accord and crv with 24Fs. I also have a bluetooth obd scanner which does not shut off when the car is off. It is not impossible that your battery is dead, not enough information. It is also not impossible that the short drives are too short to charge the battery.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
How old is the battery? I assume it is a 51r. If it happens intermittently, it is possible it is a bad AC clutch relay, or one of the fan relays. Are the fans running on the car after you turn off the key?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts