Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this very random problem where if I sit in my car and listen to music for a few minutes, the battery will "die". The keyless entry system will still work and lock and unlock the car but it won't start. But here's the real kicker. When I had someone come and jump it later on, it started right up. This has happened twice and been to Majestic Honda once and they have no idea what it is so far. Any ideas?

Also another question, is it possible to jump start the car by popping the clutch still. That was gonna be my last resort if nobody could come jump my car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I have this very random problem where if I sit in my car and listen to music for a few minutes, the battery will "die". The keyless entry system will still work and lock and unlock the car but it won't start. But here's the real kicker. When I had someone come and jump it later on, it started right up. This has happened twice and been to Majestic Honda once and they have no idea what it is so far. Any ideas?

Also another question, is it possible to jump start the car by popping the clutch still. That was gonna be my last resort if nobody could come jump my car.

It sounds like your battery has a bad cell. The battery has a separate warranty and the dealer should replace the battery on a pro rated basis. Any automobile supply store or the dealer can check your battery.

·
Registered
924 Posts
i had the same problem with my battery. i replaced it with a larger 24f battery. i think it boils down to the tiny battery that honda put into the car. i also run a basslink powered sub so it tended to kill my battery fast if i sat in the car with it off listening to the radio. usually car batteries that are still in good condition will build up a enough of a charge to start the car after they sit for a while which is probably what you are experiencing.

not sure about popping the clutch on this model yet. do you have a keyed ignition or the smart key? not sure if that makes a difference. i know on my 7th gen popping the clutch worked but with my smart key 6mt im not sure, i havent tried it yet.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
As far as I know, this is still possible (I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work) and one more of those things about manuals that can be a life saver under the right conditions.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You will be covered under warranty for the battery. Shouldn't be dying this quick on you and despite what many say, the battery size/output is plenty adequate for this car so don't worry about thinking you need to upgrade. You do get a bad one or so in every batch and honda won't hesitate to drop in a new one.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Some have replaced their battery at day one because of bad experiences with tiny Honda batteries. Most don't have a problem but when i replace my stock battery it will be with a bigger (more powerful) one. Remember, Johnson Controls makes 80% of batteries in the US and a significant portion world wide so brand "prolly" doesn't matter. I am partial to Autozone's Duralast based on it's 10 year old performance on an old MB Diesel I had.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I had similar issue Xmas Eve day. Worked 1/2 day, drove home and had my sunroof popped. Noticed it after walking into house so went back out, turned on ignition to 2nd level via my start/stop button & closed roof. Forgot to shut down ignition due to no key (still gettn used to no key still I guess). 90 minutes later went to start car & it wouldn't. All other functions worked, but still had to jump start the car. I was shocked this happned after only 90 minutes. Must be under-powered battery like some have mentioned?? Anyway, idiot me will have to be more careful moving forward

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yup, Johnson Controls is the big manufacturer and the other is Exide. I do like the optimas and that is typically what I put in now when OEM dies.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Yup, Johnson Controls is the big manufacturer and the other is Exide. I do like the optimas and that is typically what I put in now when OEM dies.
Optima is owned by Johnson Controls. Production was moved to Mexico in 2009 and quality has suffered since. Optima is living on its well-earned reputation from batteries made before 2009 (when production shut down in Colorado and moved to Mexico).

The newer Optimas? No way.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
In June 2013 Exide again filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection with the aim of cutting debt and implementing a restructuring plan to better compete in the market (Exide Technologies, Case No. 13-11482, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Delaware).

http://www.exiderestructuringinfo.com/maincase.php

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
A friend of mine swears by Interstate batteries. He buys them at Sam's Club or Walmart.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok because majestic said everything was fine and nothing seemed unusual. They thought it may have coincided with a previous tsb on the keyless entry system but there weren't sure but the guy was really awesome about it. I'll have to drop it off again.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
A friend of mine swears by Interstate batteries. He buys them at Sam's Club or Walmart.
Intersate is a family owned distributor of batteries made by Johnson Controls. Interstate is a marketing company that markets a good battery. JC also makes WalMart batteries and Die Hard. There are only a few automotive battery makers in the world. If you guess Johnson Controls as the maker, it's a safe bet you'd be right.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Optima is owned by Johnson Controls. Production was moved to Mexico in 2009 and quality has suffered since. Optima is living on its well-earned reputation from batteries made before 2009 (when production shut down in Colorado and moved to Mexico).

The newer Optimas? No way.
Just like Cannondale bikes now being part of a Taiwan conglomerate that is the largest bike maker in the world. They mae the cheap $49 Wal Mart bikes up to $5000+ Cannondales. JC has made Optimas for a long time, I was not aware of a quality drop from CO to Mexico production. Some have said Mexican VWs are not as good as German VWS. I wonder is US Hondas are not as good as Japanese Hondas?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sam's Club sells Duracell, Energizer, and Optima batteries.

WalMart sells Champion, and Everstart batteries.

Interstate batteries are not sold at Sam's or WalMart.

All are made by Johnson Controls.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Sam's Club sells Duracell, Energizer, and Optima batteries.

WalMart sells Champion, and Everstart batteries.

Interstate batteries are not sold at Sam's or WalMart.

All are made by Johnson Controls.
i thought the duracell brands at sams were made by east penn? same company as jc?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Johnson Controls supplies Ford Motor company, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu with original equipment batteries.

Johnson controls also makes some or all of these batteries as well. Interstate Battery, Sears Die Hard Battery, Costco Kirkland Battery, WalMart Everstart Battery

Acura, Advance Auto Parts, Autocraft, Western Auto, Tough One, Alliance, American Hardware, Ames, Varta, Blains Farm & Fleet, Battery Alliance, Bosch, Carrefour(Europe), Champion, Amara Raja Batteries LTD(Joint venture with Johnson Controls India).

Varta, Optima Batteries, LTH, and Heliar are all battery manufactures owned by Johnson Controls.

East Penn makes the DEKA brand. Duracell brand at Sam's Club is Johnson Control.

·
Registered
924 Posts
East Penn makes the DEKA brand. Duracell brand at Sam's Club is Johnson Control.
hmm...my duracell from sams says manufactured by east penn right on the top.

·
Registered
49 Posts

I think this happened to me... When you try to start does the lights go blinky and doesn't start?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts