Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone. I have a 93 Honda Accord I bought from the original owner (little old lady) 2 months ago. The car has 110,000 miles on it. I replaced the battery and alternator since it has been sitting for the last two years not being driven. I have also done other necessary tune ups but those are irrelevant (oil change, brakes, plugs etc etc.)

My issue is, while I am slowing down to a stop sign or stop light my battery light comes on. If I am cruising about 50 mph and let off the gas to start slowing down it doesn't come on. It comes on when I push in the clutch and put my foot on the brake. I have noticed that when I get to 40 mph and slowing down it comes on. If I am sitting at a stop light with the clutch pushed in and I hit the gas pedal the light goes off.

Does this sound like a faulty alternator that I just replaced? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Possibly a bad alternator, the device that turns the light on is the electronic regulator inside the alternator. My question would be what does the voltage measure in the electrical system when the light comes on.

First thing to do in any electrical problem, verify the battery cables are clean and tight. Verify the ground cable to the car from the battery is clean and tight as well. Verify the ground connections from the engine to body and the transmission to the body are in place and clean and tight.

It could be you have diodes out in the alternator and when the RPMs drop there is not enough current to charge the battery.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
What brand alternator, some elect. parts from auto zone, etc. can be problematic. I had a similar issue, it was corrosion in the middle of the battery cable. Slit the cover, inspect, wrap back up with elect. tape

·
8th Gen Believer
3,885 Posts
Check that the tensioner isn't seeping onto the alternator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good afternoon everyone. I have a 93 Honda Accord I bought from the original owner (little old lady) 2 months ago. The car has 110,000 miles on it. I replaced the battery and alternator since it has been sitting for the last two years not being driven. I have also done other necessary tune ups but those are irrelevant (oil change, brakes, plugs etc etc.)

My issue is, while I am slowing down to a stop sign or stop light my battery light comes on. If I am cruising about 50 mph and let off the gas to start slowing down it doesn't come on. It comes on when I push in the clutch and put my foot on the brake. I have noticed that when I get to 40 mph and slowing down it comes on. If I am sitting at a stop light with the clutch pushed in and I hit the gas pedal the light goes off.

Does this sound like a faulty alternator that I just replaced? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
You state "It comes on when I push in the clutch AND when I put my foot on the brake" I once had a 86 Nissan that died when the clutch pedal was depressed. A ignition wire under the dash was making contact with the clutch pedal , causing a short! The diagnosis and repair involved a careful inspection of the wires under the dash area and mending them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts