Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
RoopsPhoto.com
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have a 03 Accord 4 cylinder. Yesterday, while driving, my battery light started flickering on and off randomly. I pulled over and went to get my battery and alternator tested at Advance Auto. The battery and alternator both passed the test, even with the light on inside the car.

I then continued my journey. Initially, it continued flickering on and off for about 20 minutes, but for the next 1 1/2 hr, it didnt come back on.

Is the signs of a 'dying' alternator? I have to take another 7 hr trip in the next 2 weeks. I do not want to be stranded, but I want to figure out the source of my problem.

On this same trip, my AC vent tube was clogged so bad that my entire passenger side was soaked with water, which went all the way to the rear of the car. I would not think this is related, but I figure it doesnt hurt to ask.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
If the alternator was dying...chances are a code would get stored. Advance Auto could probably check for that.

I would check for ground strap corrosion or loose connections to the battery / body first before assuming the alternator is dying.

·
RoopsPhoto.com
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the alternator was dying...chances are a code would get stored. Advance Auto could probably check for that.

I would check for ground strap corrosion or loose connections to the battery / body first before assuming the alternator is dying.
The CEL light did not come on. I do have a basic code reader. Would a code be stored and not show up as a CEL light?

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
The CEL light did not come on. I do have a basic code reader. Would a code be stored and not show up as a CEL light?
Sometimes yes. Some codes will show up as "pending" and not trigger a light. This happened to me with the MAF unplugged or something like that. Took driving around for a half mile before the code switched from pending to a CEL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts