Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me what kind of replacement battery I should buy in order to replace the dead battery in my 2003 accord coupe?

·
Registered
231 Posts
We use Interstate

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Kirkland batteries from Costco has good reputation and high cold cranking current rating, I beleive they are re-branded Interstate batteries.

EDIT: Johnson Control, not Interstate......

·
07 Sdn
395 Posts
Interstate Batteries are made by Johnson Controls. The top models of the following brands are also made by Johnson Controls...

Acura
Autocraft Gold (Advanced Auto)
Duralast Gold (Autozone)
Honda
Kirkland Signature (Costco)
EverStart MAXX (Walmart)
OPTIMA
Alliance Gold
TrueStart (Toyota)
Mitsubishi
DieHard Gold
Mazda
Energizer (Sams Club)
ProStart

Just pick the store or battery sale that will give you the best deal :)

The trick to picking a good battery is the freshness date. ALWAYS check the freshness date printed or etched onto the casing. You want to buy a battery that has a freshness (manufacturers) date as close to the date of the day you are buying it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi,

I would factor in the type of climate you car is in. For example, i live in Canada it gets really cold up here, I decided to get the motormaster eliminator battery, it has a lot of cold cranking amps. Cost me $120 comes with a 10 year warranty

·
Northern Canada
76 Posts
Also, if you have a 4cyl, with the V6 battery tray, hold down clamp and ground cable, you can upgrade to the V6 battery which is much bigger! That is the next mod I am going to do on my 4cyl 06. I also live in Canada, so I need all the cold cranking amps I can get!

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
I wouldn't touch interstate with a million mile long pole. Junk. Way too many issues.

I've had good luck with Delco, some Motorcraft replacement batteries, Optima is good, but damn expensive. I've heard that the duralasts are supposed to be good.

I wish we could get Panasonic replacement batteries here. My '95 Integra's battery lasted 10 years, and was still good when I sold the car.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Get a XS power battery, those things are badass and worth it in anything!

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
12,727 Posts
I wouldn't touch interstate with a million mile long pole. Junk. Way too many issues.
Have they gotten worse over the years? I used it exclusively in my old Camry after the OEM died. Never had any problems and lasted for many many years. But the last time I bought one was probably at least 10 years ago.

Pepboys' ProStart is good. My dad uses it in his van. He's on his 2nd one. After the first one went out (lasted like 4-5 years?), Pepboys pro-rated it when we got the 2nd.

No problems with Duralast either. That's what we put in my friends Civic, but that was only a year ago.

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
Consider Optima also
+1 for Optima. In my 6th gen I replaced my stock battery with an Optima yellow top and it worked great.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
walmart battery is pretty good. Really high CCA vs oem. Also there is a lot more walmart then there are costco *also walmart is open later then costco*. 3 year warranty for 73 bucks FTW

·
07 Sdn
395 Posts
The problems with Interstate Batteries are that they are sold by small dealers and small businesses, and some of them don't keep their stock fresh or they don't store the batteries properly. They then charge you a premium for the battery. Sometimes they'll even give you the wrong battery with the incorrect CCA just so they can make a sale.

Walmart batteries, Autozone and Advance auto are good at keeping their stocks fresh and stored in the back of the store where only people looking for car batteries would find them, and if they don't have your battery you're gonna have to try another store :)

Again, learn how to read the manufacturers date on the battery so that you get a very fresh one!! Anything over 6 months to a year you don't really want unless you are desperate.

Tires are another thing that some bad small businesses will sell you that are outdated and bad even though the look new. Learn to read the dates on tires too before you buy, if its older than 3 years don't fork your money over.

·
Registered
35 Posts
+2 for the yellow top, i got three in my 03 coupe, one for the car and two on a relay for the system...plus its always good to upgrade the wires and altenator, just for good measures....

·
Registered
30 Posts
I replaced my 6 year old OEM battery with a Kirkland brand last winter. It was well rated on Consumer Reports and the price was fair. Each battery has a manufacture date code so I was able to select a "fresh" one right off the shelf.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts