Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
How much more is your car payment going to be and additional insurance?

You are going up 4K + ?

I would keep what you have.

Benz's are NOT what the used to be.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wanan get a 5 year finance and lower the payments down , i have 3 years left on my accord coupe its 836 a month with insurance

if i get the benz my payments would be around 600 a month instead of 836 with the new finance

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
A Benz is made to Lease not buy. Buying a Benz is Cheap, maintaining it is a whole nother story. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
In the long run, there is NO WAY the Benz will save you money. The longer loan means a higher total cost. The Benz also has lower reliability with expensive repair and maintenance costs. If you're forced to keep the car for the full five years, it will probably have well over 120,000 miles, at which point repairs and maintenance will become an issue. If you want the Benz, buy it because you like it and not because you think it is cheaper.

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
i wanan get a 5 year finance and lower the payments down , i have 3 years left on my accord coupe its 836 a month with insurance

if i get the benz my payments would be around 600 a month instead of 836 with the new finance
WOW. $836/month is a house payment.

The Benz will cost more in repairs.

Try to refinance what you already have.

I don't care for any new Benz. They used to be high quality and now are just like any other mass produced car.

·
Second gear slammer!
461 Posts
honda all day, parts are cheaper more reliable, and benz's are junk nowadays, if anything get a 1995 190e manual. much nicers car, you can get em for like six grand mint no miles. blah blah.....just get the honda, theyre great cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I vote to keep the Honda. I just left a 12 year relationship with BMW to come back to Honda for the increased reliability and lower total cost of ownership. I will give you this - I recently sat in a C350 and really liked it. I still like BMWs of course, but the difference between premium gas and regular, and the miles I drive, plus the Gen8's good looks (and potential for mods) made the decision a fairly easy one.

Why not refinance the Accord to get the payments down instead of switching vehicles?

·
Registered
26 Posts
$836/month is a house payment? Where do you live? Out of nowhere 20 years ago?:D

It's around $2500/month average here and $4000/month for somewhat decent house.:thumbsdow Which I would have to get one within like 2 years. I'm not looking forward to house payment and all the other things I have to buy(lawn mower, trimmer etc) and added taxes, utilities etc. :thumbsdow

The Benz will cost more in repairs.

Try to refinance what you already have.

I don't care for any new Benz. They used to be high quality and now are just like any other mass produced car.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Also 50K is a ton of miles for an 08, meaning the car was driven hard and was possibly a fleet and/or rental vehicle. Buying an ex-fleet car can have its benefits, but you really have to scrutinize the vehicle.

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
$836/month is a house payment? Where do you live? Out of nowhere 20 years ago?:D

It's around $2500/month average here and $4000/month for somewhat decent house.:thumbsdow Which I would have to get one within like 2 years. I'm not looking forward to house payment and all the other things I have to buy(lawn mower, trimmer etc) and added taxes, utilities etc. :thumbsdow

You can have a decent 3/2 house 40 minutes NW or N of Atlanta for that.

You must live in CA. Housing is INSANE there.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
This is almost scary. I just crunched some numbers. An $836/m payment translates to a $175,000 mortgage. If you add in your 20% down payment, that will buy a $218,000 house/condo. A large number of people who live a $500,000 to $600,000 house today probably bought it 15 years ago for $250,000 and their mortgage is probably ~ $1,000/m. So $836 isn't that far away. To buy the same $500,000 house today, you'd need $100,000 down payment (20% down) and a $400,000 mortgage which would be about $1,900/m. That is a sobering thought!

·
09ACCORDCOUPE
599 Posts
Refinance the Accord for a lower APR and keep it. You'll save time and money at the repair shop, money on the loan and a whole lotta aggravation.

·
Registered
722 Posts
honda all day, parts are cheaper more reliable, and benz's are junk nowadays, if anything get a 1995 190e manual. much nicers car, you can get em for like six grand mint no miles. blah blah.....just get the honda, theyre great cars.
where can you find a car that old with no miles...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ran some numbers. If you refinanced your current loan of $16,000 for 48 months at 6% interest, your payments would only be $375.00 per month.

German cars are great to drive. Upkeep is amazing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here in northern Indiana, $836 will get you a nice house. People on the coast have no idea how cheap it is to live in the midwest. I would keep the Honda. It will last longer and you can use that time to save up for a new car. But, at $836 you probably already rolled a couple loans into each other. I would stop playing the game, buckle down and pay it off. Then decide on what car you want. IMHO

·
Blacked Out Dream
43 Posts
if you could get a AMG I would say hell yeah lol

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I ran some numbers. If you refinanced your current loan of $16,000 for 48 months at 6% interest, your payments would only be $375.00 per month.
Good point! I ran some additional numbers. If you refinanced your current loan for 36 months (the same timeframe remaining on your current loan) at 6%, the payments would be $487. This begs the question, what are the terms of your current loan and what do you pay for car insurance?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fortunately/unfortunately I live in small town in PA. Average cost of house here is around 500-700k and that's because of economy. That same 500-700k houses used to be around 1.5mil like a year or two ago. There are still plenty that costs 1-5mill around here though with bad economy.

You can have a decent 3/2 house 40 minutes NW or N of Atlanta for that.

You must live in CA. Housing is INSANE there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
$836/month is pretty high even with insurance.

I got mine last April? EX sedan and I think I pay around $480/month or so with insurance. Not sure which one you got but I got 5 year loan.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts