Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 4cyl accord is almost at 230K and runs great. Although the starter has shown no problems yet I want to be proactive and change it so it does not leave me stranded somewhere since it is not a quick job. Is there a particular brand, or rebuilt vs new argument to be made?

I know there are threads about rebuilding it, but I am unable to find OEM or what I think are quality parts. Perhaps I could install a temporary while I rebuild the OEM starter.

·
HK Moderator
13,928 Posts
Chris! C'mon man you can rebuild the Honda starter on your kitchen table in 20 minutes.....Follow JohnNH write-up. Or if you want the "V6 upgrade", follow t-rd write up.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm aware of the rebuild write ups. As stated above I am not confident in any of the aftermarket rebuild parts unless others have long term usage reviews to share.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you want something temporary, grab a junkyard OEM starter, you're better off than with an aftermarket one

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just ordered the OEM brush set for $60 shipped. Shouldn't be too bad.

·
Super Moderator
6,304 Posts
The best aftermarket option is a used OEM starter. Anything OEM used is better than a new aftermarket part

Here is one used for just 55k miles

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
FWIW when the rectifier fried in my alternator I took the alternator down to the local rebuild shop and then went straight to the JY and got one and slapped it in. The rebuilt alternator is now sitting in my garage doing nothing. I wish I had not spent the $100 to rebuild it. JY alternators are $30 all day long.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have gave up my original alternator, but autozone had one on the shelf and it takes 10 minutes to replace. Maybe I'll get a used OEM alternator one of these days. I'm not so worried about it since it works and I know I can do it quick.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Good Luck with the rebuld.

I'm kind of torn on the starter though. It looks like a bunch more work and this is a case where I'd rather spend the $100 and not have to worry about it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Had an AAP starter for last 5 yrs, no issues
Same. No issues with re-manufactured one since 2016. The OEM starter was never that great in the first place as its one of the most common failure points on this forum just behind A/C issues. I wouldn't buy a used one. Just get a remanufactured one or rebuild your own.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 05 4cyl accord is almost at 230K and runs great. Although the starter has shown no problems yet I want to be proactive and change it so it does not leave me stranded somewhere since it is not a quick job. Is there a particular brand, or rebuilt vs new argument to be made?

I know there are threads about rebuilding it, but I am unable to find OEM or what I think are quality parts. Perhaps I could install a temporary while I rebuild the OEM starter.
should take more than an hour to disassemble starter, clean, check the gear. Really starter not that complicated. Usually a good cleaning will extend it.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Wow, I thought I was crazy replacing parts before their time. I had a 2000 SE go to 283K on the original starter and I currently have a 2005 EX that just passed 200K with the original starter. Both were 4 cylinders. I have never had to replace either a starter or alternator in either vehicle. Honda starters, at least in my experience, are rarely replaced, if ever.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Accord 4cyl 2.4L LX-SE
3 Posts
Chris! C'mon man you can rebuild the Honda starter on your kitchen table in 20 minutes.....Follow JohnNH write-up. Or if you want the "V6 upgrade", follow t-rd write up.
V6 starter upgrade!
I've never heard of this...a 4cyl's starter can be upgraded to the V6 starter? They're different sizes...please explain. I planned to rebuild my 4cyl starter this weekend but I didn't know anything about a V6 starter upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
6,304 Posts
I've never heard of this...a 4cyl's starter can be upgraded to the V6 starter? They're different sizes...please explain. I planned to rebuild my 4cyl starter this weekend but I didn't know anything about a V6 starter upgrade.
You missed the inside jokes here.

Chris was always installing parts from the V6. All of us old timers all know this

·
HK Moderator
13,928 Posts

·
Don't drink and drive
5,158 Posts
Old joke we threw around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts