Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
1,901 Posts
Is it even possible to lock up the wheels of a car with functioning ABS? After all isn't that the function of ABS, to prevent wheel lockup, which is consistent with what I've always heard, that ABS actually increases stopping distances. Or am I misinterpreting what you said?
No, it is not possible. ABS takes you to the point of lockup, which occurs due to loss of adhesion between tire and surface. I'm interpreting the point of lockup - when ABS kicks in - to be the equivalent of actual lockup. You're right, it's not, and I should specify "to the point of lockup".

·
1,901 Posts
I'm thinking EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads. How do you all feel about slotted rotors? I was thinking slotted and dimpled..but I realize that will take away a good bit of surface area away from pad/rotor contact.
Many, many posts by yours truly on this. It's like running your pads over a cheese grater - noisier, faster wear, more dust. But they do look cool. Speaking of cool, they have no meaningful improvement, if any, in cooling efficiency. It's theoretically possible holes could prevent an air hockey puck effect in which pad offgassing floats the pad, but very unlikely to happen in real life.

Like EBC Red Stuff a lot. Have run them on my wife's car. Better initial bite than Akebonos and quiet, but seem to have poorer holding power at a stop (i.e., easier to roll with the EBCs). Good choice IMHO

·
Registered
377 Posts
Show me the pads!

"I'm thinking EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads. "
"Like EBC Red Stuff a lot."

Show me EBC Red or Green FMSI 1654 pads and where to buy them.

I once tried GreenStuff and I liked OE better.

The best pads I ever used were Axxis ULT, but the eat the crap out of rotors in a hurry. I had Carbotech 1521 pads on my 2008 Civic Si and liked them, but they are pricey, and Carbotech does NOT make pads for 9th gen non-LX cars.

·
Registered
275 Posts
"I'm thinking EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads. "
"Like EBC Red Stuff a lot."

I once tried GreenStuff and I liked OE better.

The best pads I ever used were Axxis ULT, but the eat the crap out of rotors in a hurry. I had Carbotech 1521 pads on my 2008 Civic Si and liked them, but they are pricey, and Carbotech does NOT make pads for 9th gen non-LX cars.
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3071A0A0.aspx

·
Registered
275 Posts
Many, many posts by yours truly on this. It's like running your pads over a cheese grater - noisier, faster wear, more dust. But they do look cool. Speaking of cool, they have no meaningful improvement, if any, in cooling efficiency. It's theoretically possible holes could prevent an air hockey puck effect in which pad offgassing floats the pad, but very unlikely to happen in real life.

Like EBC Red Stuff a lot. Have run them on my wife's car. Better initial bite than Akebonos and quiet, but seem to have poorer holding power at a stop (i.e., easier to roll with the EBCs). Good choice IMHO
Thanks for this information. I'm guessing a OEM type rotor that withstands heat a bit better would be the best choice. I bought a pair of rotors (front/back) like that from R-1 concepts a long time ago and was very pleased with them.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Fail!

1KDH: http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3071A0A0.aspx

WRONG!

That listing is for "Front Pads - Full Set - FMSI: D1506" (wrong pads) and "Rear Pads - Full Set - FMSI: D1336" (wrong pads).

Correct pads for 9th gen non-LX: FMSI Front 1654 Rear 1451

·
Super Moderator
10,063 Posts
Some long-time forum members probably have a drinking game around any time I say this: if you want to stop your car faster, get grippier tires.
I'm a firm believer of this, no amount of fancy or bigger brake rotors, pads, or stainless steel brake lines will do you any good stopping a car if the tires are crappy. There have been enough times over the years where I got away from being involved in an accident because my tires (see my signature) saved me rather than squealing into impact.

the reason i want to change my brake pads is... well they make sounds!!! since i bought the car from the agency. it made like a sound i can't describe it... after 10k km it came back!

some ppl told me to change the brake pads. i want to change it but i don't know what to change it to...

help? i don't think i want to buy the OEM ones. i want something better... i usually drive fast. i face traffic everyday tho. so it rly depends on...
I use Wagner Thermoquiet ceramic pads on my Accord, very good performance, no squealing, very little dusting that is not visible, and super long wearing. This link gives you an idea how people feel about these

·
Registered
126 Posts
When I had my 7th gen coupe, my rear pads were wearing before the front pads, about every 2.5 years. I switched to Hawk pads for both front and rear, and found they wore twice as long. Performance was great and they didn't squeal like the OE pads tended to do. I will probably use Hawk pads on my 9th gen sedan when the time comes.

·
Registered
377 Posts
No you won't!

I will probably use Hawk pads on my 9th gen sedan when the time comes.

Because Hawk doesn't make them for the 9th gen non-LX Accord.

·
Registered
275 Posts
For me it's not a matter of stopping faster. I don't like brake vibration. That is the only reason I would consider different pads and or rotors.

·
Registered
983 Posts
For me it's not a matter of stopping faster. I don't like brake vibration. That is the only reason I would consider different pads and or rotors.
Well you better disconnect your ABS. Because nothing vibrates more then when ABS kicks in.

If you are having a vibration on normal braking then indeed something is wron and I would say a warped rotor.

When I need pads I will change to slotted rotors and the pads recommended for them.

Last I bought were StopTech Cyro slotted and hawk pads and they work like a champ in that application.

Since I am on a fixed income I want to wear OEM out first then get aftermarket for those parts.

It gives the aftermarket world time to catch up while I wear out OEM and get my moneys worth out of them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well you better disconnect your ABS. Because nothing vibrates more then when ABS kicks in.

If you are having a vibration on normal braking then indeed something is wron and I would say a warped rotor.

When I need pads I will change to slotted rotors and the pads recommended for them.

Last I bought were StopTech Cyro slotted and hawk pads and they work like a champ in that application.

Since I am on a fixed income I want to wear OEM out first then get aftermarket for those parts.

It gives the aftermarket world time to catch up while I wear out OEM and get my moneys worth out of them.
Just to confirm... I am speaking of vibration from warped rotors. I work as a service writer for Honda. Many Honda's have this issue, and it's not so much from aggressive driving. I have bought better material rotors in the past from R-1 concepts, and over a couple of years, never had a problem with brake vibration from warped rotors "or pad deposit build up on the rotors, as some explain."

·
Beast mode!
323 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I could buy aftermarket rotors and pads now but I'm going to wait till spring and go nuts. New stop tech rotors and hawk pads are definitely on the list. Can't wait :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes, you will wait. Yes, we have no bananas.

hawk pads are definitely on the list. Can't wait

Apparently you haven't read through this thread. There are NO Hawk pads for 9th gen non-LX cars. At least not yet.

·
Banned
6,569 Posts
Some of you may want to consider getting a big brake kit if you are going to go with STOPTECH rotors.

STOPTECH rotors run $200+ I believe and goods pads about $60+ which leads to the reasoning for getting a BBK since it's a few hundred more.

The BBK I'm putting together should cost around or less than $500 using FastBrakes brackets, 350Z rotors, eBay SS lines, OEM spec pads, RL 4-piston calipers.

·
Beast mode!
323 Posts
I never considered those.. I'll check it out though. I'm guessing it's a good upgrade from stock?

·
Banned
6,569 Posts
I never considered those.. I'll check it out though. I'm guessing it's a good upgrade from stock?
Absolutely! More braking power, less fade, better feel, more consistent pedal pressure, more bite, more confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
275 Posts
hawk pads are definitely on the list. Can't wait

Apparently you haven't read through this thread. There are NO Hawk pads for 9th gen non-LX cars. At least not yet.
I'm sure he read the thread. He's probably going to wait and see if they become available in the near future. The link I sent you from autoanything is deceiving..as it does list the sub model for EX, EX-L etc., but does not specify between 4cyl and 6cyl.

After your posts, we get it..the pads are not available.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Oh no you don't "get it"

It does list the sub model for EX, EX-L etc., but does not specify between 4cyl and 6cyl.

1. Autoanything does list EBC Red Stuff pads for non-LX 9th gen. I get it.
2. The FMSI numbers are NOT correct. They MAY fit, but are not the Honda specified pads. I wouldn't use them or recommend them.
3. 4 cyl AND 6 cyl non-LX 9th gen front pads ARE the same.
4. Rear pads are the same for ALL 9th gen Accords.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/SearchOptions.aspx?Search=SKU&SkuNo=45022-T2G-A00
http://www.bernardiparts.com/SearchOptions.aspx?Search=SKU&SkuNo=43022-TA0-A80
Click on "Vehicles on which this part can be used".

Unless you are posting just for the sake of putting yourself out there, please do your homework first.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It does list the sub model for EX, EX-L etc., but does not specify between 4cyl and 6cyl.

1. Autoanything does list EBC Red Stuff pads for non-LX 9th gen. I get it.
2. The FMSI numbers are NOT correct. They MAY fit, but are not the Honda specified pads. I wouldn't use them or recommend them.
3. 4 cyl AND 6 cyl non-LX 9th gen front pads ARE the same.
4. Rear pads are the same for ALL 9th gen Accords.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/SearchOptions.aspx?Search=SKU&SkuNo=45022-T2G-A00
http://www.bernardiparts.com/SearchOptions.aspx?Search=SKU&SkuNo=43022-TA0-A80
Click on "Vehicles on which this part can be used".

Unless you are posting just for the sake of putting yourself out there, please do your homework first.
I'm sure when you saw that link you knew it was a honest error (I was trying to help.) The way the brake pads are presented on the (autoanything) webpage, one could easily mistake that the pads will work for a non-LX vehicle..that IS how it is listed correct? Thank you for doing your homework, and letting everybody who may not understand know..THESE PADS DO NOT WORK ON ANYTHING BUT A LX. I also wonder when you say they may fit but are not Honda specified..why does the website list the EX, EX-L trims as a option. We do many upgrades that are not particularly Honda specified..I just put a TLX sway bar on my Accord....

21 - 40 of 90 Posts