Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has the best front brake rotors? Does brembo make an Oem type for an 08 4-cyl EX-L? Mine keep warping from the wife's heavy foot! Where is the best place to get rotors?

Thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
Have you tried Napa? I'd think it would be smarter to buy something like this at a physical store for the warranty so you don't deal with shipping wait times incase of a claim.

·
Banned
1,951 Posts
you want the best? lol get a big brake kit. its a little under 1500 though. or get EBC slotted rotors and good brake pads. honda oem brakes and rotors are trash

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I just installed powerstop slotted and drilled rotors after finding a good deal on them.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have heard good things about the plain EBC rotors.

·
ツ
1,784 Posts

·
Running NYC
1,315 Posts
Any of the EBC "stuff" pads you wont go wrong. I got green stuff along with their rotors. Wayyyyyy better then oem wayyyyy better

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thats a lot of money. I get stock oem rotors for 18 bucks each so 32 bucks total
Where did you get your rotors?

Autozone o'rielly, advanced auto, and napa have front rotors for at least 49.95 each + tax,

where did you get your OEM front rotors for 18 + 18 for 32 dollars for both?

·
Banned
1,951 Posts
i meant 36 lol. i get them from an automotive warehouse in my city that carries oem equipment for every car that i get discounts from

·
Registered
458 Posts
Any of the EBC "stuff" pads you wont go wrong. I got green stuff along with their rotors. Wayyyyyy better then oem wayyyyy better

Curious though.. Are Honda rotors that happy? Buying slotted rotors i wouldn't expect a huge difference unless upgrading pads abduction brake lines but rotors i find all the same unless u get bbk

·
Michael
3,336 Posts
Curious though.. Are Honda rotors that happy? Buying slotted rotors i wouldn't expect a huge difference unless upgrading pads abduction brake lines but rotors i find all the same unless u get bbk
I'm sure it isn't at all necessary, but I noticed a difference in slotted. The extra airflow results in temperatures hundreds of degrees cooler as a result during city driving. That can affect a lot, including warping and stopping power. Warmed brakes stop well, but hot brakes don't.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
How are the powerstop rotors? They are so cheap for drilled and slotted i thought the quAlity would be shitty
i've only read good things. i think the way to stay away from are the powerSLOT

·
1,901 Posts
I'm sure it isn't at all necessary, but I noticed a difference in slotted. The extra airflow results in temperatures hundreds of degrees cooler as a result during city driving. That can affect a lot, including warping and stopping power. Warmed brakes stop well, but hot brakes don't.
Hundreds of degrees? Really? Did you read that or measure that? What do slots do that vented solid face rotors rotors don't? And here all along I've been told the slots and vents were for a) water removal; b) better venting of offgases from the cooking pads; and c) looks. Since c) was told to me by a braking engineer for a long-running American production two-seat sports car, I'm going with c). If you had to drill over 100 1/4" holes through a 1.25" thick prototype reinforced silicon carbide rotor, as I did, you'd ask the engineer why they were needed, too.

And where exactly do you drive? Look elsewhere in this forum for a discussion of a Car and Driver article from 2008 on torture testing of braking systems. Even in daily drivers like a Passat or Malibu, it takes repeated 100-0 mph panic stops (by repeated I mean 10 stops, with 30 seconds standing after each stop) to induce meaningful fade. Modern OEM braking systems are that good.

Further, drilled/slotted rotors are noisier and wear pads faster due to a modest "cheese grater" effect.

"Warped rotors" are in fact uneven buildup of the wear layer on the rotor surface caused by local variations in rotor metallurgy, NOT "potato chipping" of the rotors themselves. Even after being turned, metal rotors are too stiff to "warp" as is often believed.

I've always liked Brembo blanks, but ran into availability issues. I've been very happy with NAPA Ultra Premium rotors. They're Raybestos relabels. NAPA charges more, but, last time I bought, offered a lifetime warranty (vs. two for Raybestos). Also mine were Made in USA.

And don't get me started on big brakes. . . .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts