Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
.Net developer
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im hellapissed off. rangers just lost game 4 and i needed to get some printed for work and my inks out. i hop in my ride about to head up to wal mart to get some ink, start it up, turn on the lights, and come to find out my left headlight is out!!! now im furious!! i know its nothing life threatening, etc but i guess its bc the rangers lost that im ticked.

if it turns out my ballasts is out and i have to buy a new set, can somebody out there tell me what brands are good so that i can look into them? or is this a common problem / setback in having HID lights up front, or was it bc the brand i had was some no-name brand? it was working perfectly for about 4 months and i had no complaints till now.

i was also looking into these headlights that i saw on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories) and was wondering if any of you guys have ordered these before, or if u guys had any feedback regarding these headlights. would these be brighter than HID lights (6000k) or do you think these CCFL lights are cheap and not be as bright? reason i ask is bc my boy ordered these for his car a long time ago and he said he ended up selling them the next day bc they werent bright. just wanted to get you guys opinions/comments. thanks everyone... :)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
for the ballast go with one of the vendors on here.

For the headlights get a retro. E*** headlights functionally ****s. The only good thing about them is that they look kool.

If you have a coupe just slap on an HID kit and it will still be better then the ebay one. As for CCFL just buy some and put it in yourself.

·
Hollaway24
293 Posts
Those lights are ok and all HID ballest are about the same sometimes you get good ones sometimes you get bad ones.. But if i see you coming down the road ill honk ..lol..With your one car light

·
kirin
32 Posts
if u really care about the quality of the ballast and bulb i would recommand Phillips, but just FYI me and many friends of mine are all using just cheap aftermarket ballast and bulbs.

I had my cheap HID ($150CND) installed few days after i bought my car and light bulb burned out once only. Spend about $50 and replaced 2 bulbs. Never had any issue with the ballast.

I would say i am pretty happy with the $ i spent and the time they last.

Again, this is only personal openion

·
kirin
32 Posts
those head light do looks nice, but i was not brave enough to give it a shot.

Please post pics if you do get them. i've searched for pics in this forum and i did not find any. :thmsup:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Either Retrosolutions or DDM Tuning.
Retro is a little pricey but they do have a lifetime warranty.
DDM Tuning also has a lifetime warranty and they have fairly cheap sets.
I have retros right now in my lows, but I may go with DDM tuning for my fogs in the future.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
Either Retrosolutions or DDM Tuning.
Retro is a little pricey but they do have a lifetime warranty.
DDM Tuning also has a lifetime warranty and they have fairly cheap sets.
I have retros right now in my lows, but I may go with DDM tuning for my fogs in the future.
Please don't put HID kits in fog lights. The glare for oncoming drivers will be immense and you won't improve your seeing distance one bit.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
^ not if you cap the bulb like retro offers..i have them in my fogs and aimed down..they dont have glare or blind traffic. and they help with side vision sidewalks etc

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
^ not if you cap the bulb like retro offers..i have them in my fogs and aimed down..they dont have glare or blind traffic. and they help with side vision sidewalks etc
The capping does next to nothing for reducing glare in fog lights. Even aimed down you have glare from your fog lights. It's a matter of the laws of physics. First you have a hell of a lot of lumens. Then you have the small reflector. The you have a HID burner producing light in all the wrong places. Then you have the close-to-the-ground mounting of the lights themselves. Put these together and there's massive glare. I've tested HID kits in my fog lights and there is glare, lots of it, and capping the bulb does nothing to mitigate the problem. And doesn't aiming the lights down defeat the purpose of the supposed upgrade? With the fog lights being so low to the ground, any time you increase the distance of the beam projected from them you automatically increase glare.

Even 3000K HID burners have spikes of blue in the SPD. These blue spikes, with the lamp being low to the ground, cause glare.

How did you determine there was no glare. Hopefully not just by looking at the lights - the human eye is a very poor instrument for detecting glare. Unfortunately, at the same time, it's very susceptible to glare that may not be registering with your brain but is very much reducing the seeing distance of yourself and of oncoming drivers. The ONLY way to determine safe levels of glare is with special equipment.

Did you know there's two types of glare. Disability glare and discomfort glare. Which one do you think you are seeing when you evaluate the glare using just your eyes?

As far as helping with side vision - if you're going more than ~15mph anything that fog lights illuminate to the side is irrelevant because you're not going to be able to stop in time to avoid hitting anything that you may see. Even the stock H11 bulbs in my fog lights give extra (and, as I wrote, unusable) light to the sides of the car. Don't need HID kits for that. And did you know that too much light in front of the car, as you surely have with 55W HID kit in your fog lights, is actually going to reduce your nighttime seeing distance?

·
.Net developer
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im ok with HID's on any lights on a car as long as they are properly aligned and not loose to where they flicker in your rearview when they hit a bump. what makes me furious is when a jacked up truck that has HID fogs and headlights get behind you and since your car is lowered, they tailgate on purpose to see your reaction and act dumb. just my opinion... :paranoid:

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
im ok with HID's on any lights on a car as long as they are properly aligned and not loose to where they flicker in your rearview when they hit a bump. what makes me furious is when a jacked up truck that has HID fogs and headlights get behind you and since your car is lowered, they tailgate on purpose to see your reaction and act dumb. just my opinion... :paranoid:
While I respect your opinion, do you realize that there's no way to properly aim halogen lamps with HID kits?

·
Registered
968 Posts
well i have a retro set and one side is messed up right now. Im going to get a set from another site that cost about the same.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
my friend drove my car around the block while i stood outside and wasnt blinding..there was glare of course but not enough to squint or be uncomfortable or say woah look how much glare there is etc. i also turned the fogs off and on and even aimed down they help light up the road more.i also like the look of matching fogs and lowbeams. to each their own i guess

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
my friend drove my car around the block while i stood outside and wasnt blinding..there was glare of course but not enough to squint or be uncomfortable or say woah look how much glare there is etc. i also turned the fogs off and on and even aimed down they help light up the road more.i also like the look of matching fogs and lowbeams. to each their own i guess
To each their own, yes, as long as you're not impacting other drivers. And I guarantee you are causing glare to other drivers despite your tests, tests which if you'd have understood my prior post you'd know are useless and meaningless. I mean, how can you possibly think that standing in the road and looking down at on oncoming car is the same as being subjected to glare while sitting in the driver's seat of oncoming traffic? But I guess matching low beams and fogs are more important to you than road safety. :dunno:

·
Registered
968 Posts
I would say good sets to get are from Retrosolutions or from xenondepot which are both sponsors of this site. I just ordered a new set from XD and will let you know how it is. My RS set is only half working after 6 months. Either should be good and they cost about the same with XD costing you a bit more.

·
Hollaway24
293 Posts
I would say good sets to get are from Retrosolutions or from xenondepot which are both sponsors of this site. I just ordered a new set from XD and will let you know how it is. My RS set is only half working after 6 months. Either should be good and they cost about the same with XD costing you a bit more.
Putt you pom poms up little cheerleader :joker:

·
Registered
968 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've had my ddm tuning ones since march this year, i like them alot.. No issues.. Ra ra ra :banana:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I would say retrosolutions are not reliable. Most of my friends and I bought them thinking they would be good. Either our ballasts or bulbs died within a year. Its also a hassle to fulfill the warranty. Oh well? I would rather go with DDM.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts