Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2019 Accord 2.0 Touring
101 Posts
I was the first employee hired at the first satellite store of Discount Tire in Flint, Michigan in the mid 60's. I now live in Atlanta, and still buy all my tires at Discount Tire (and always have) because I know they hire the right people, and they stand behind their work.
Do you really want to save $5 at some discount place on a $1,000 purchase? That's the dumbest idea I've heard here yet, IMO.

· Fellow V6 Supremacist following the WiiMaster
Pair of 8th Gen Sedans - V6 & I4
265 Posts
Discount Tire versus the Sam's/Wal-Mart route, from personal experience.

Really tough to convince Sam's/Wal-Mart that they sold you a bum tire (even when you can see obvious belt problems as the mounted tire is spinning and wobbling itself to a stop on the balancing machine). C'mon, people, my family's riding on this set of tires!
(Yes, I had to shame them into removing it and putting on a good one ... I hope they returned that obviously defective tire).​

Discount Tire actually inspects your tires when you come in for rotation / re-balance. Twice I've had this happen:
"Hey, the tread face is damaged, right up to the sidewall ... there's a nail, too ... obvious non-repairable road hazard, and you bought the road hazard insurance."

Immediately, the guys at Discount Tire said "Can you stay just a little while longer while we find a replacement?" In both cases, same tire mfgr & model, had a new one on faster than I could finish my coffee. It's like they view their job as an important piece in the overall driving safety picture.

Just to add, the nail (or in once case, thick piece of steel wire that looked like a nail) ... neither was deep enough to cause an actual leak, but their reasoning was that it pushed into the sidewall belt, they didn't want to chance it from a safety perspective.

Cost a little more? Yes, but the service at Discount Tire has been superb.
  • My pair of Odysseys have been to them a few times in their 220,000+ miles of road time
    • ...and only once to Sam's/Wal-Mart ... never again.
  • One of our 8th Gen Accords just got shod with Michelin Cross Climate 2's at Discount Tire, with excellent advice on choosing the correct tire size.
    • I was going to go with 215/55R17 for my Acura TSX wheels +1 setup, but they steered me to an OEM 225/50R17 size ... glad they did! My choice would have looked malnourished inside the fender wells.
Glad that Discount Tire built some new stores in my state. My 2nd Gen Acura TL is up for some new 215/50R17 performance tires soon, and I know exactly where to go.

OF

· CORB52
49 Posts
Discount Tire versus the Sam's/Wal-Mart route, from personal experience.

Really tough to convince Sam's/Wal-Mart that they sold you a bum tire (even when you can see obvious belt problems as the mounted tire is spinning and wobbling itself to a stop on the balancing machine). C'mon, people, my family's riding on this set of tires!
(Yes, I had to shame them into removing it and putting on a good one ... I hope they returned that obviously defective tire).​

Discount Tire actually inspects your tires when you come in for rotation / re-balance. Twice I've had this happen:
"Hey, the tread face is damaged, right up to the sidewall ... there's a nail, too ... obvious non-repairable road hazard, and you bought the road hazard insurance."

Immediately, the guys at Discount Tire said "Can you stay just a little while longer while we find a replacement?" In both cases, same tire mfgr & model, had a new one on faster than I could finish my coffee. It's like they view their job as an important piece in the overall driving safety picture.

Just to add, the nail (or in once case, thick piece of steel wire that looked like a nail) ... neither was deep enough to cause an actual leak, but their reasoning was that it pushed into the sidewall belt, they didn't want to chance it from a safety perspective.

Cost a little more? Yes, but the service at Discount Tire has been superb.
  • My pair of Odysseys have been to them a few times in their 220,000+ miles of road time
    • ...and only once to Sam's/Wal-Mart ... never again.
  • One of our 8th Gen Accords just got shod with Michelin Cross Climate 2's at Discount Tire, with excellent advice on choosing the correct tire size.
    • I was going to go with 215/55R17 for my Acura TSX wheels +1 setup, but they steered me to an OEM 225/50R17 size ... glad they did! My choice would have looked malnourished inside the fender wells.
Glad that Discount Tire built some new stores in my state. My 2nd Gen Acura TL is up for some new 215/50R17 performance tires soon, and I know exactly where to go.

OF
Wish I had a Discount Tire nearby. I check my tires after installation or rotations and knock on wood no problems with my local club yet. They are not great but you can buy a good brand with from them and they do honor the warranty.

· Registered
50 Posts
I've always purchased my tires from Costco. Free tire rotation and road hazard. Their tire selection is somewhat limited, but I always get the Michelins when they are on sale.

Reactions: EXLV6

· Registered
9 Posts
I I bought a set of Continental Control Contact Touring tires from Discount Tire. I'm pretty happy with them. (Tires and the dealer)

Quiter than the OEM Goodyear Eagles the car came with.

Of course, I picked up a nail in one with less than 50 miles on the odo after I bought them.

Discount Tire plugged it and rebalanced the wheel quickly.

· Registered
346 Posts
Always use Discount Tire. Also never pay the advertised price. They generally will make a great deal, just takes a little talking at the counter with the sales guy, or a great conversation on the phone. More often than not you can get their Certificates thrown in on the deal and the price in most cases ends out being approx $200 less than originally quoted at the start of my dealing.

Discount is very good with follow up rotates and balancing for life. Appointments are adhered to. Flat repairs are done quickly and correctly. Only gripe I have is I always have to check the tire pressures the next morning as they are always 2-4# off manufacture specs, 33# on the Accord ELX.

· Registered
4,064 Posts
Craigslist. Just bought 4 Michelins for my 2005 off Craigslist for $200. 8/32 tread still on them.

Can't remember the model of Michelins but when I priced them they retail for $150 each.

· Registered
1,996 Posts
Always use Discount Tire. Also never pay the advertised price. They generally will make a great deal, just takes a little talking at the counter with the sales guy, or a great conversation on the phone. More often than not you can get their Certificates thrown in on the deal and the price in most cases ends out being approx $200 less than originally quoted at the start of my dealing.

Discount is very good with follow up rotates and balancing for life. Appointments are adhered to. Flat repairs are done quickly and correctly. Only gripe I have is I always have to check the tire pressures the next morning as they are always 2-4# off manufacture specs, 33# on the Accord ELX.
Yeah, I don't know where they come up with their inflation pressures. I was at a Discount tire yesterday. They worked on two of my tires. After they were done and I looked at the charge slip they had 30 PSI for the OEM inflation pressure on my 2017 Toyota Highlander. The pillar sticker very clearly calls for 36. In general, whenever I have anybody mess with tires/rotations, I always recheck pressures and lug torques at home.

· Honda Enthusiast
I drive a BMW now. 🇩🇪
3,852 Posts
Discount Tire. Is there anywhere else? Maybe a high end performance shop for exceptionally specialized cases, but Discount Tire can get just about any tire and guarantees the lowest price (with the exception of Firestone tires). Same with the website Discount Tire Direct. I have bought every set of tires and wheels from them.

· Registered
44 Posts
Find a place you can buy pull offs. Inspect them all. I got 4 for my accord sport that way for $200. 1 pair of Firestone Firehawks, and 1 pair of Goodyear. Each appeared to have less than 1000 miles on them. Still had new tire smell.

· 2016 Accord LX
51 Posts
I have been using TireRack for years. They ship the tires directly to my service station, I never even see them until they are on, and include free hazard insurance. TireRack sells a set of four Continental DW06 Pluses for $680 including delivery and insurance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts