Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the title sums it up. but, i would really appreciate all input or factual data & even experiences with or in regards to the best replacement bulbs for my low beam projector bulbs & the drl's, which turn into my high beams, if im not mistaken. any help on the situation & its resolution would be much appreciated. i do not want an HID kit. Thanks. :dunno:

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Anything besides an HID is useless. If you dont want HID's then keep what you have. Why are you messing with DRL/High beams?

·
Registered
682 Posts
i would look into the Philips HIR bulbs. I have them in my car for the low beams and it is noticeably brighter than the standard halogen. They require some minor modification to the bulb base to work in a 9006 socket, but it is no biggie. Since it is still a halogen bulb, you dont have to be concerned with blinding other drivers (often an issue with HID retrofits). The bulbs are about 20-30 bucks a pop. While they are pricey for a halogen bulb, they are much higher in quality than comparable HID kits at this price range.

See here

http://store.candlepower.com/ph3rdge90h.html

·
User Approved
26 Posts
HIDs are over-rated, are costly and are more trouble than they're worth.

I'm running an H9 conversion bulb in my lows and a set of Toshiba 9011 HIR bulbs in the DRL/highs. Both bulbs fit with a minor mod to the plug (H9s) and the tabs and provide excellent lighting - 60% or more brighter than stock with no glare or hot spots.

There are several threads about these bulbs on this forum. I got the H9s at AutoZone for about $15/ea and the Toshibas on Ebay for about $70 shipped. I'm very happy with them.

·
User Approved
26 Posts
i would look into the Philips HIR bulbs. I have them in my car for the low beams...
The sedan uses different low beam bulbs, otherwise this is an excellent suggestion (yep, have a set of those on another car). The Couple low beam bulb is the same as for the fogs, which is an H11. Like I said above, the H9 is a simple conversion and will throw a lot of light out - more than the HIR bulb will in the sedan.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
HIDs are over-rated, are costly and are more trouble than they're worth.

I'm running an H9 conversion bulb in my lows and a set of Toshiba 9011 HIR bulbs in the DRL/highs. Both bulbs fit with a minor mod to the plug (H9s) and the tabs and provide excellent lighting - 60% or more brighter than stock with no glare or hot spots.

There are several threads about these bulbs on this forum. I got the H9s at AutoZone for about $15/ea and the Toshibas on Ebay for about $70 shipped. I'm very happy with them.
59 bux is costly? my ebay bulbs never failed me. they have 2yr warranty too. How much were youre HIR bulbs? More work is sanding the bulbs so the fit...lol. If HIR bulbs were so good why are luxury vehicles using HID/LEDS lights instead? While your bulbs blow and you are buying another set, on avg HIDs rarely blow if used as directed. So get HID...

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
59 bux is costly? my ebay bulbs never failed me. they have 2yr warranty too. How much were youre HIR bulbs? More work is sanding the bulbs so the fit...lol. If HIR bulbs were so good why are luxury vehicles using HID/LEDS lights instead? While your bulbs blow and you are buying another set, on avg HIDs rarely blow if used as directed. So get HID...
Strongly disagree. Evidence on this very forum and on hidplanet says that HID kits are far more likely to fail than halogen bulbs are to burn out.

Then there are two people on this forum who have gone from hid kits to H9 halogen bulbs in their coupes only to find more usable light and better placed light with the H9 than with the hid kits. And if you understand the physics of hid kits in halogen lights you'll know why this is true.

I will agree than OEM HIDs rarely fail but the experience of others with HID kits says this is just not true of hid kits. Sure some people will have no issues with them but, as I said, a Chinese hid kit failure is far more likely than a halogen bulb failure.

And let's not forget that HID and LED in high end cars have optics designed for those light sources. The Accord does not, not even the coupe with its halogen projector headlights. OEM HID and LED can have advantages over halogen headlights but not necessarily. The HIDs on the TSX, for example, are just plain terrible. They're worse than many halogen reflector lights.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
Anything besides an HID is useless. If you dont want HID's then keep what you have. Why are you messing with DRL/High beams?
You've obviously never driven with H9 bulbs in the coupe or you wouldn't be saying that anything other than cheap Chinese hid kits are useless.

Read here

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
Markus,

For the I4 sedan, would there a a replacement that you recommend for low beams? Thanks.
Philips 9012 HIR bulb available from Candlepower Inc. It's what I have in my sedan and they're just as good as the hid kit I tried. The HIRs have the benefit of not producing the glare that the hid kits do.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Philips 9012 HIR bulb available from Candlepower Inc. It's what I have in my sedan and they're just as good as the hid kit I tried. The HIRs have the benefit of not producing the glare that the hid kits do.
Great, thanks. I am not oppose to aftermarket HIDs; but, reluctant due to the possible glare.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
Great, thanks. I am not oppose to aftermarket HIDs; but, reluctant due to the possible glare.
If it wasn't for the glare (and the far too bright of a foreground and mal-distribution of light) HID kits might make some sense. From experience I think you'll find the Philips 9012 (not the Toshiba 9012) to be better than any hid kit.

·
need 6 speed!
3,489 Posts
Strongly disagree. Evidence on this very forum and on hidplanet says that HID kits are far more likely to fail than halogen bulbs are to burn out.

Then there are two people on this forum who have gone from hid kits to H9 halogen bulbs in their coupes only to find more usable light and better placed light with the H9 than with the hid kits. And if you understand the physics of hid kits in halogen lights you'll know why this is true.

I will agree than OEM HIDs rarely fail but the experience of others with HID kits says this is just not true of hid kits. Sure some people will have no issues with them but, as I said, a Chinese hid kit failure is far more likely than a halogen bulb failure.

And let's not forget that HID and LED in high end cars have optics designed for those light sources. The Accord does not, not even the coupe with its halogen projector headlights. OEM HID and LED can have advantages over halogen headlights but not necessarily. The HIDs on the TSX, for example, are just plain terrible. They're worse than many halogen reflector lights.
you're kidding me right? just because you said this i know you have no idea what you're talking about. the tsx projectors are to die for, theyre the best on the market. when retrofitters are looking for clear lens projectors, nothing gets better than the tsx.

and also everyone else who says hids are costly and fail out on you, well im running DDM tuning hids for over 2 years now, never burnt a bulb, never burnt a ballast. comes with lifetime warranty and i believe theyre on sale for $35 for 35w.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
you're kidding me right? just because you said this i know you have no idea what you're talking about. the tsx projectors are to die for, theyre the best on the market. when retrofitters are looking for clear lens projectors, nothing gets better than the tsx.

and also everyone else who says hids are costly and fail out on you, well im running DDM tuning hids for over 2 years now, never burnt a bulb, never burnt a ballast. comes with lifetime warranty and i believe theyre on sale for $35 for 35w.
No I'm not kidding. The TL projectors are some of the best on the market. The TSX are terrible. My sister has a TSX and, if you don't believe me, head on over to hidplanet and see what they say about the TSX projectors. So it turns out I do know what I'm talking about, so there. :D

And like I said, not ALL hid kits will fail. But the failure rate is higher than the failure rate of halogen bulbs.

·
need 6 speed!
3,489 Posts
i believe hidplanet runs TRS which they also sell the tsx-r clear lens. taken from the website.
TRS said:
By far the most popular clear lens from TRS, the TSX-R is renowned for its versatility. It's ability to transform and strongly improve the output on a wide range of low beam and bixenon projectors is unmatched

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
i believe hidplanet runs TRS which they also sell the tsx-r clear lens. taken from the website.
The TSX-R is not a TSX. It's a replica with slightly different optics. And a lens alone does not make a headlight. It's the lens, the light source, and the bowl and shield all working together that make the light work. Just because the TSX may have a good lens doesn't mean the system (lens, bowl, shield, etc. combined) is a good headlight.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts

·
need 6 speed!
3,489 Posts
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=61
TSX projectors are wildly popular for their sharp beam pattern, rainbow color flicker effect, and better than average light output. No other low beam unit has out-sold the TSX because of their reputation for excellent performance, OEM clear lens, and easy installation.
so worse than most halogen headlights but yet wildly popular for sharp beam patterns?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts