Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
I would think either would be good, but the NGK is OEM. The double iridium name is just a marketing term, that same construction is used in the NGK plug as well.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mousab Hussain

·
Registered
2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
1,573 Posts
NGK easily.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yes, I'd stay with the OEM plugs. The car's computer "expects" the electrical characteristics of the NGK plugs and it can easily work badly with any other brand, due to small differences that cannot be compensated for by the fixed programming in the computer. And, the NGK plugs have a typical service lifetime of 100K - do you really expect to improve on that?

- Jack

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
For most late model cars it's best to use the OEM plug. Just an FYI - the plugs for our 1.5 turbo engines are expensive!
The OEM ones from Honda are but there was a recent thread about this. You can get pretty much the same NGK plug at parts stores for half the price.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have first hand experience with both NGK OEM and replacing with the Bosch Double-Iridium in my 20 Accord Hybrid EX-L. NGK bias here -- all of our other cars I have installed NGK. However due to the very high cost for NGK replacements for my HAH, decided to try the Bosch Double-Iridium 96328 as replacements. Do note that I did find Bosch 96328 made in Germany (not Vietnam/Russia/China) and the quality is flawless.

With over 59K on the OEM NGK, I was not expecting much of a difference moving to the Bosch. Wouldn't you know -- smoother acceleration, especially at high RPM and overall slightly more responsive. Gas mileage has improved slightly over two gas tanks so far (44.6 vs 43.7). The gap on the NGK OEMs are at 0.43 vs the new Bosch at 0.40 -- wonder if that may be contributing to this slightly improved performance. Connected my OBDII scanner and found no misfires over 600 miles so far. The Bosch currently is much less expensive compared to the NGK which must be Honda OEM.

Cautiously recommending the Bosch Double-Iridium as suitable replacements for the Accord/HAH 10th gen -- just be sure to source German-made Bosch plugs.

(The Bosch 96328 are specifically for the Accord Hybrid current gen)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The Bosch currently is much less expensive compared to the NGK which must be Honda OEM.
As I mentioned in the post right above yours, the NGK does not have to be the Honda OEM plugs. There is a more available one out there.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Unfortunately not for the 2018 - 2022 Accord Hybrid. NGK DILZKAR7D11S is not available (yet) at parts stores.
That is the OEM plug number. I'm sure a plug probably does exist at parts stores, just with a different number. That's how it is for the 1.5T. You have to compare the actual plug specs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why change the spark plugs ?
I checked the plugs in my 2001 Acura CL after 8 years and 160K miles and they looked good as new.
I did the same thing with my 2010 TSX at 150K miles and they looked good as new pretty much.
In both cases the cars were running perfect and the MPG had not gotten any worse...so I left he plugs in and sold each car aft approx. 220K miles...

Never had issues with plugs in any of the cars or motorcycles I've owned in the 50 years I've been driving.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Why change the spark plugs ?
Because they have a service life and a service interval. Just because they happened to work fine for you does not mean replacement is not needed.

·
Registered
'18 Accord Touring
51 Posts
I replaced mine at 110,000 miles on my '18 Touring and the old ones looked EXCELLENT! The gap was unchanged, zero oil or residue, they were just about perfect, which made me quite happy. I used the OEM NGK's, and if anyone even considers letting the dealer replace these, please smack them in the head. This is a ridiculously easy task that anyone can do in under one hour.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my '18 EX-L 1.5L with 135k miles on it, and just this weekend, at 142k, it started having bad misfires under load, enough to put the car into limp mode. Checked OBD-II and saw P0301 code. Decided to change the plugs. Bought the ILZKAR8J8SY 4-pack at O'Reilly for $64. Put a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner down the gas tank too.

The cylinder 1 plug was difficult to extract, I almost needed a breaker bar. High resistance on the threads putting the new one in as well. The other three were no trouble. Took it out for a test run and the misfire was gone.

Picture attached – no prizes for guessing which plug was causing the misfire.
Household hardware Automotive exhaust Nickel Cylinder Gas

1 - 18 of 18 Posts