Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1997 EX. Included the year in case there was any difference in the type of leather used.

·
Premium Member
1,734 Posts
It doesn't...any smooth leather is the same. Suede leather is an entirely different cleaner.
Use any good leather cleaner/conditioner...many to choose from and usually, the higher the cost the better the product.
I use Meguiar's and it has worked well.

·
^^vv<><>BA
12,314 Posts
I don't think the seats are real leather. A cheap and effective cleaner would be Woolite. Dilute it with water, 1 part Woolite to something like 8 parts water. If you want it stronger (dirty leather), then do 6 or 7 parts water.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think the seats are real leather.
Actually the seats are real leather, it was an option on the EX during that time period.

Thanks for your help.

It doesn't...any smooth leather is the same.
I read that some leathers have coatings (dont know what year it started) that don't require the (regular) application of conditioner. I think the idea is/was that most people are too lazy or absentminded to apply conditioner once or twice a year. The leather on my car's driver's seat is beginning to crack. Possibly not kept up by the PO.

Thanks for your help!

·
8th Gen Believer
3,895 Posts
I've used Lexol Cleaner and Lexol Conditioner on a Volvo, Mercedes and two Accords.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Title says it all.

Looked in the archives but didn't see anything.

Thanks in advance!
I have a 97 EX. It has a combo of leather and vinyl seats. In the summer it got too hot to sit on them so I just put seat covers on( Sheep skins)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good idea, especially in Arizona

Evidently, there are four types of leather used in car seats. Does anyone happen to know which leather type was used in the 1997 EX?

·
ChoppednTubbed
458 Posts
It doesn't...any smooth leather is the same. Suede leather is an entirely different cleaner.
Use any good leather cleaner/conditioner...many to choose from and usually, the higher the cost the better the product.
I use Meguiar's and it has worked well.
I've used the pictured product, and it does an excellent job cleaning and conditioning.

And, I don't really think that a higher price is usually indicative of a better product. Shop around a bit, and you will see the same product at numerous different prices both high and low.

Good luck with getting your seats back in shape.
I have a 97 EX. It has a combo of leather and vinyl seats. In the summer it got too hot to sit on them so I just put seat covers on( Sheep skins)
I hear you on the leather seats, but isn't putting sheepskin covers on it like jumping from the frying pan into the fire (lame analogy I know....first thing that came to mind). Sheepskin can be extremely warm. Granted, your not wearing it, but I think there is still a heat factor sitting on it.

In all seriousness, I know the sheepskin is extremely comfortable, and it looks cool, too. If it works for you in the summer, that's awesome.

·
2011 LX-S Coupe Automatic
166 Posts

LEXOL BABY!!!!

I have been using Lexol cleaner and protctor since 1981. They are great on anything leather like your seats. And like your wife's expensive purses, saddles, chaps. Back then,, the only place to purchase the Lexol, was at the Mercedes Benz parts counter and was very expensive.

Good luck.
Dimitri

1 - 14 of 14 Posts