Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed how dirty my engine bay was the other day when I changed my airfilter. I've seen people at carwashes just hosing down their engine bay but I'm afraid doing so will do harm?

So, what would be the best and safest way to clean the engine bay?

Thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I always clean under the hood at the carwash, with the engine running using low pressure.
Never experienced any problems.

·
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always clean under the hood at the carwash, with the engine running using low pressure.
Never experienced any problems.
Any reason why you keep the engine runnin? Also, most carwashes I go to they only have high pressure hoses.

·
youtube.com/justahondaaccord
1,639 Posts
I use cd2 engine detailer leaves a nice shine and removes virtually all dirt, you can get it at autozone.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I use cd2 engine detailer leaves a nice shine and removes virtually all dirt, you can get it at autozone.
+1 ... probably 4-5 can's of the stuff on my product shelf, stocked up when it went on sale. Use of it and Aerospace 303 keeps my engine clean for long periods of time.

·
Registered
656 Posts
So yall just spray and wipe? My engine is over due for a cleaning.. lol

·
I snapped my G string....
3,865 Posts
Get some Engine Degreaser. Let it sit for 10 mins then wash it down with water. Just don't spray the alternator too much. Start the engine and let it idle for about 10 min or just drive for 10 min. Wipe off the excess water. I use CD2 Engine detailer to make it shine.

Before:

After:

These are old pics.
No need to worry if you have painted you engine cover. It will not damage the paint.....

CD2 Engine Detailer..

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I wash my engine bay everytime i was my car...
I use Bleachwhite then i pressure wash the engine...
Keep engine running, avoid spraying too much...

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,915 Posts
Wet it down (hose on spray pattern) then use Amazing Roll off cut 50% with water applied from a spray bottle. Give it 5 minutes to set then spray it off. Use a brush for tough areas, and rinse it again. Dry it well (I use a gas powered leaf blower) then use Stoners More Shine or CD2 (more expensive) to make it look like the day it came off the assembly line. I charged $45 for this service and folks paid it gladly.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
1,015 Posts
wet with water, spray on SprayNine, let sit for 4-5 min, spray off.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
What is the reason for leaving the engine running?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have been concerned on what should I do, it states that you should cover all your sensor and alternator with a plastic bag, there are many sensors that are hard to reach. and there are sensors that I dont know where they are located :dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
533 Posts
I noticed how dirty my engine bay was the other day when I changed my airfilter. I've seen people at carwashes just hosing down their engine bay but I'm afraid doing so will do harm?

So, what would be the best and safest way to clean the engine bay?

Thanks.
I don't! I had too many bad experiences in the past with this, alls I do is that when I wash my car, & come time to dry it, I pop open the hood & wipe things down with my microfiber towel I use to dry the rims with.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,915 Posts
I have been concerned on what should I do, it states that you should cover all your sensor and alternator with a plastic bag, there are many sensors that are hard to reach. and there are sensors that I dont know where they are located :dunno::dunno:
You keep worrying about your sensors and I'll keep washing my engine like I have for 40+ years. Common sense goes a long way here. In all that time ONCE I had to spray WD40 in a distributor cap to get the car started......back when they had them. If you're that scared of it then just wipe it down with Windex and a towel, no insult intended.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You keep worrying about your sensors and I'll keep washing my engine like I have for 40+ years. Common sense goes a long way here. In all that time ONCE I had to spray WD40 in a distributor cap to get the car started......back when they had them. If you're that scared of it then just wipe it down with Windex and a towel, no insult intended.
thank you RtexasF for the advice I will post pics when I get it detailed :naughty:

·
Registered
104 Posts
i guess i can ask a car wash to do this because i'm selling the car and will take pictures afterwards but i'm still going to drive it for a day or 2 ..how dirty can it get after a few days?

·
6,322 Posts
i guess i can ask a car wash to do this because i'm selling the car and will take pictures afterwards but i'm still going to drive it for a day or 2 ..how dirty can it get after a few days?
I wouldn't trust any old carwash to do this. Find a good detailer in the area. www.autopia.org to find one in your area. I know there is one but can't remember the name off the top of my head.

As the old saying goes "If your going to do it then do it right or not at all".

Edit: Here's the one I was thinking of:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55311

1 - 20 of 23 Posts