Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was painting my house and i moved my car far but then the wind picked up and it picked up the paint with it and took it all the way over to my car. whats the best way to get it off my windows and black paint?

you cant even see it unless you are up close. and it is dark brown small speckles of paint.

thank you

Note: 9th gen accord sedan EX-L

·
Registered
509 Posts
What we do in our body shop is use foamy glass cleaner and a razor blade on the windows. On the body you can use paint thinner just wash it off after.

·
Elvira
3,681 Posts
If it is water based latex and not too long on the paint, use soapy water and wash the car.

Oil based probably needs the paint thinner as @Antonovich uses.

Same thing happened to one of my cars and since it was water based latex on a waxed surface it washed right off after a little soaking with soapy water. It was only on for a few hours though.

·
@milmast
1,160 Posts
Paint thinner and a microfibre towel will probably be your best bet. It will not damage your paint but it will remove all of the little paint overspray that is on your car. You can use it on your windows, paint, headlights & tail lights. Wash the car afterwards as Antonovich said and give the car a nice wax afterwards. The paint thinner will strip the car of any waxes so be sure to put some on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the information guys!

The paint has been on for a good 4-5 months, i didn't notice it until later on. I kept telling my self i was just going to take it to a professional to buff the whole car out and that will take it all off. but i think i have some paint thinner.

I know their are different kinds of paint thinner, any one in particular?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I would try clay first. It's all I've ever needed in the past. Is it heavy overspray or just light fine mist?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I have used a product called goof off, it works very well. I have also used WD-40.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would try clay first. It's all I've ever needed in the past. Is it heavy overspray or just light fine mist?
just small speckles of brown

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
just small speckles of brown
I'd go with clay or substitute. Locally you can get Meguiars or Mothers clay bar kits. Eagle 1 also has a synthetic clay mitt sold at Advance Auto, but you would have to come up with some kind of lube to use that (one ounce of dawn to 31 oz of water in a spray bottle would probably work). The clay kits include lube.

Mineral spirits would probably be the next step.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Here's a nanoskin sample for you. By the description, I would say he used the nanoskin scrub pad medium grade on a dual action polisher. Nanoskin to the rescue!

·
Reflections Auto Detail
1,247 Posts
Given the fact you were painting your house, I'm going to assume it's latex paint. If it is, and it's been on your car for that long, the mineral spirits/paint thinner isn't going to do anything but remove the wax, any tar you might have on it and maybe even a bug carcass or two. Do not use Goof Off! It can and will soften the clear coat wherever it's applied if left on long enough.

There are two methods you can use to remove the overspray. If the first one doesn't work (which it should) the second one will. Neither is harsh or harmful to your finish nor will either leave any marks that will need to be removed by machine.

Method 1. Nanoskin sponges.
Nanoskin sponges are an alternative to clay and are much faster at getting the job done. With clay bars, you have to keep the area lubricated ahead of the bar to avoid marring the finish and allow the clay to skate along smoothly. Also, if/when you drop the clay bar on the ground you must throw it away and cease using it. If you drop the Nanoskin sponge, you can simply rinse it off and get back to work. Also, the sponge attached holds the lubricant you choose to use and is easily squeezed out as needed to keep the area lubricated. They also last about 15 times longer than a clay bar. You can get the combo pack which includes 2 sponges - fine grade and medium grade - for around $25. 00 US delivered.
AUTOSCRUB Sponge Combo Pack - Medium Grade & Fine Grade - AUTOSCRUB System - PRODUCTS
If the Nanoskin sponges don't completely remove the overspray due to the age and/or thickness, you'll need to use the a more aggressive method outlined below.

Method 2. Ceramic/Smooth stove top cleaner.
Ceramic/Smooth stove top cleaner employs micro-abrasives which are suspended in a gentle lotion-like cream that's much gentler than polishing compound and acts more like a cleaner than a compound. It's engineered to remove the toughest, burnt-on things without scratching or otherwise damaging the surface of glass-top stoves. The cleaning agents will go to work on the overspray, softening and loosening its grip/adhesion to allow you to wipe it off.

Both methods will require reapplying wax/sealant.

These two methods are recommended for those who don't have access to a dual action, random orbital polisher and the knowledge required to safely and effectively operate one to remove contaminates from their vehicle's finish.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Given the fact you were painting your house, I'm going to assume it's latex paint. If it is, and it's been on your car for that long, the mineral spirits/paint thinner isn't going to do anything but remove the wax, any tar you might have on it and maybe even a bug carcass or two. Do not use Goof Off! It can and will soften the clear coat wherever it's applied if left on long enough.

There are two methods you can use to remove the overspray. If the first one doesn't work (which it should) the second one will. Neither is harsh or harmful to your finish nor will either leave any marks that will need to be removed by machine.

Method 1. Nanoskin sponges.
Nanoskin sponges are an alternative to clay and are much faster at getting the job done. With clay bars, you have to keep the area lubricated ahead of the bar to avoid marring the finish and allow the clay to skate along smoothly. Also, if/when you drop the clay bar on the ground you must throw it away and cease using it. If you drop the Nanoskin sponge, you can simply rinse it off and get back to work. Also, the sponge attached holds the lubricant you choose to use and is easily squeezed out as needed to keep the area lubricated. They also last about 15 times longer than a clay bar. You can get the combo pack which includes 2 sponges - fine grade and medium grade - for around $25. 00 US delivered.
AUTOSCRUB Sponge Combo Pack - Medium Grade & Fine Grade - AUTOSCRUB System - PRODUCTS
If the Nanoskin sponges don't completely remove the overspray due to the age and/or thickness, you'll need to use the a more aggressive method outlined below.

Method 2. Ceramic/Smooth stove top cleaner.
Ceramic/Smooth stove top cleaner employs micro-abrasives which are suspended in a gentle lotion-like cream that's much gentler than polishing compound and acts more like a cleaner than a compound. It's engineered to remove the toughest, burnt-on things without scratching or otherwise damaging the surface of glass-top stoves. The cleaning agents will go to work on the overspray, softening and loosening its grip/adhesion to allow you to wipe it off.

Both methods will require reapplying wax/sealant.

These two methods are recommended for those who don't have access to a dual action, random orbital polisher and the knowledge required to safely and effectively operate one to remove contaminates from their vehicle's finish.
Thanks brother! Thanks everyone for the advice. Good info. I will try these methods out and get back to you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts