Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2015 Accord EXL, nothing done to it at all. I have had 5 gas fillups, 3 in town and 2 on the road (I70 and I15) from Colorado to Las Vegas. My town MPG was 33.9 which I thought was very good and I wanted to see what I got on the road. Well on a 1000+ mile trip (very little driving in Vegas) I got 33.5. What gives?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was on interstate all of the way. 80 mph posted for most and 65-75 on the rest. I went the speed limit but not over.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My 2004 accord exl 6cly got 22 in town but 38 to 42 on road trips. Same speed.
The city number I can buy but I'm not buying that you were getting 38 to 42 MPG at 80 MPH in a car that was rated at 27 MPG highway. Not unless you were traveling down some massive hills or were hypermiling that thing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got 42 miles per gallon only once I'm going down to Texas. I got anywhere from 34 - 40 on trips all over the US. I always felt my mpg were very good forba 6. But with the 4, I think my mpg was very low.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The city number I can buy but I'm not buying that you were getting 38 to 42 MPG at 80 MPH in a car that was rated at 27 MPG highway. Not unless you were traveling down some massive hills or were hypermiling that thing.
He didn't say he was going 80. My '06 6-speed sedan got upper 20's around town. Beauty of being and to shift when I want and using 6th gear and coasting to lights. I generally got 35 -37 on the hwy going 70 and higher at 60. The car was not rated that high.

My current Accord actually does better on the freeway at 70 than on the 50-mph road near my house. I lose 2 mpg just exiting the freeway and driving 4 miles at 50 and 2 miles at 35.

OP, I think the 80 mph speed would be the difference. Good city mileage and mpg may get better with a few more miles on the car.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Op, are your mileage numbers hand calculated at the pump?

It seems that you're getting right on the money for 80 mph. If I'm cruising at 80, I'll get right around 33 without much variation. Do the speed limit, set cruise control, and turn Eco mode on. If you do that, I guarantee you'll break 40 mpg.

Phenomenal city driving, op.

·
2006 sedan Die Right
17 Posts
One thing about cruise control for mileage, shut the stupid thing off when climbing hills. Better to slow down slightly as you climb (I tend to build up a bit of extra speed before hitting a hill) than have that moron gearing down and keeping to the set speed limit all the way up a hill.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I was on interstate all of the way. 80 mph posted for most and 65-75 on the rest. I went the speed limit but not over.
You're good. I do regular road trips CO to east coast. That's about the same mileage I get running 80 for hours in CO and Kansas. Five over in further eastern states with mostly 70 speed limits and regular metro slower speeds interrupting routinely nets me about 36. My local mileage with highway commuting gets me somewhere around mid-30's. Lower when all in town surface streets. I4 really doesn't get better at speed highway mileage than the V6.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2013 Accord I4 with CVT. I just completed my first road trip of 2300 miles. It got 41.9 mpg for the whole trip. I am quite satisfied with the mileage this car gets. I do
use the ECON mode when on a trip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts