Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d like to preface this thread with a heart felt thank you to the DA members who’ve given me spots of advice or guidance since I joined. You’re selflessness and kind words have helped me start this project off on a path that I am very proud of, and very eager to see to fruition.

Back in late June 2013, my wife and I found ourselves in need of replacing both our main family hauler, and a secondary commuter. After an exhaustive search we stumbled across a local dealer with our perfect “his and her combo” (the commuter idea went straight out the window, that Accord was MINE), and with a bit of haggling (8 hours worth, really) we ended up bringing them home.

An ’07 sedan, with a K24 and a 5AT … Taffy White with black cloth interior. She’s a Canadian SE, so the steering wheel and gear selector are leather wrapped, and the sunroof and 6 disc in-dash radio are also in place. There were 160,000 kms on the clock (173,000 at the time of posting). I immediately nicknamed her Betty White, because she’s my “golden girl” who exudes class and commands a little respect … my daughter "gets it" and loves my car almost as much as I do.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For the first few weeks, I was very content with my “new to me” Accord, but in the back of my head there was always that slightly uneasy feeling from not knowing how the previous owner cared for the car. The only thing that ever truly really bothered me about the car was the wheel centre caps (and they still do, replacements are coming).

So began my search of the interwebs for “how to’s”, and the one site that kept popping up in the majority of my searching was DA. So I joined, and mostly just creeped on threads, and bookmarked the 7th gen FAQ thread. I’d spend hours each night pouring over every little bit of maintenance info I possibly could.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then I read about PlastiDip. In all honesty, I had never heard of, or been exposed to this product, and once I tried it the first time, I wanted to dip everything I could get my hands on … I got bit hard by the dip bug.

Things like my grill got the “two-tone” treatment, of matte black on the bottom, with “smoke” for the upper chrome portion.

Then matte black on the front H emblem and side mirror housings.

Some more matte black on the rear logos, with “smoke” on the tails and third brake.

And finally, a splash of colour under the hood.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After I finally got the PlastiDip bug out of my system, I came across a thread over in the 8th gen forums talking about using Gutter Guard from Home Depot to DIY yourself a protective screen for your air conditioning coil (Rick’s posted a much better one for 7’s since, and if it’s not part of the new owner sticky, well it should be)

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=128914

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometime after getting the maintenance up to snuff on Betty, and PlastiDipping the Bejebus out of her, I discovered the “classifieds” section of the forum, and was lucky enough to befriend a fellow west-coaster doing a part out. I made an 800 mile round trip one Saturday with a friend from my softball team down to Portland and back … with 2 border crossings in ended up being a 14 hour ordeal.

The ’08 TSX intake manifold I picked up on that trip wasn’t quite where I needed it to be on the clean scale, so one afternoon I went to town on it … thinking I’d be installing it fairly soon. (the rag was new, bright yellow when I started)

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And then, as it does from time to time, life kind of got in the way of my tinkering on Betty for a while … but eventually, my imagination got the best of me when I found out about the “ELM 327 OBD II Bluetooth scanner” and started searching for tablet install ideas.

I ended up rigging a Galaxy Tab 2 7” into the lower pocket cubby ;

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142906

I know it’s placement, and fitment, are both arguable to some of the other members – but I love it … it's easy to throw on when I need GPS or want Torque monitoring things, and easy to take off for a complete stock look when I have to street park downtown Vancouver.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some point during this past fall I had ordered a JDM front emblem. Perfect fit, pins and all ... it was advertised for an '06-'11 Civic Si Coupe.

So I cleaned all the PlastiDip off the grill and gave it a nice rattle can paint job. Gloss black on the bottom, and body matching Taffy White on top.

I had also removed the PlastiDip off the side mirrors, for continuity with the white up front (hey, it made sense in my head at the time), and also removed the little black hood trim piece after the picture.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another steal of an EBay purchase arrived, this time a set of “slim” style window visors, and a pair of mirror housing covers, the later of which arrived chrome and I quickly painted gloss black. Since the black paint fumes where flying, I decided to redo the grill all gloss black (I like the look better personally)

I had dropped my keys in the parking lot at work (and stepped on them - early morning pre-coffee) so I ordered an OEM replacement backing;

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mod I just finished last weekend on my girl was a lot at once … an ’08 TSX IM and TB (complete with coolant bypass) along with an HPS SRI installed. This was easily the best 4-6 hours I’ve spent wrenching on this car. On a very basic level, there’s something fundamentally rewarding, especially as a car guy, when you pull off any sort of “swap” and everything goes right. No overheating, no vacuum leaks, no crap ass gas mileage after words … just a big fat useable powerband that makes daily driving Betty that much better.

*during the start of the tear down – stock IM and TB are still on, but intake tubing/box/resonator are all completely gone.

*scraping the throttle body’s mating surface clean of the old gasket

*a clean car part is a happy car part (midway through the cleaning)

*almost there … the breather tube that run of the head and over to the intake … I had trouble with, because the TSX IM and TB combo pushed the intake’s “ports” toward the driver side fender about 2”

*done, but not final for the intake tube … it’ll be going under the knife once some piping arrives to better align it to where it should be sitting

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And, of course, so far everything done to Betty White – has been “Bill F***ing Murray” approved ;

So , next up in the coming weeks will be some body pieces I’ve been working on for a while, lip, skirts, decklid spoiler.

Then the install of the TL-S bars, and possibly a new set of springs, when a new set of wheels go on (hopefully this spring, maybe sooner depending on how long the current tires hold up)

·
I love plastidip
258 Posts
I thought I saw some plastidip. Looks good man.

I got the bug a little worse. I plan doing a full dip when the weather warms up. Just gotta get her sent to the body shop for a new bumper. I want to get rid of pin stripes too.

I almost did my tsx intake manifold black, but I didn't want to wait for it to be painted. I also gave it an initial cleaning with that gunk stuff. I ended up just sand blasting it nice and clean.

·
Fear The Turtle!
2,166 Posts
Betty looks fantastic, I look forward to seeing her as she ages... I think you should tone it down on the underhood shots though, shes much more modest than that!

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I almost did my tsx intake manifold black, but I didn't want to wait for it to be painted.
I used a high temp black enamel, and I had a space heater going beside the table, it literally only took minutes to dry.

Betty looks fantastic, I look forward to seeing her as she ages... I think you should tone it down on the underhood shots though, shes much more modest than that!
Well, she does get a little ... uninhibited ... when she gets that 91 gas from Shell. :lmao:

·
Fear The Turtle!
2,166 Posts
Haha yea...I forgot to mention earlier:

-Love the removable tablet mount, lets you get data when you want and not have it stolen when you want.
-My favorite is the blacked out grill with the red emblem, especially with the Inspire fogs it really brings everything together.
-Can't wait to see it with the lip kit and rear spoiler on...no rear lower lip though? Might look "incomplete" without one...I don't even know if Honda made one but just my opinion.
-I generally don't like the JDM emblems on Accords, but it just looks right on Taffy white. I say you either remove the plastidip and dark chrome the back "ACCORD" emblem (sorry, I hate plastidip) and get a JDM matching rear emblem. They probably don't make one that fits in the holes perfectly but you just cut the pins off the back of the JDM emblem and use the mounting tape to hold it. See if the Si sedan or coupe rear emblem is about the same size.
-I wasn't interested in doing a TSX IM/TB swap but I'm getting more interested. Thanks for that, jerk.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha yea...I forgot to mention earlier:

-Love the removable tablet mount, lets you get data when you want and not have it stolen when you want.
-My favorite is the blacked out grill with the red emblem, especially with the Inspire fogs it really brings everything together.
-Can't wait to see it with the lip kit and rear spoiler on...no rear lower lip though? Might look "incomplete" without one...I don't even know if Honda made one but just my opinion.
-I generally don't like the JDM emblems on Accords, but it just looks right on Taffy white. I say you either remove the plastidip and dark chrome the back "ACCORD" emblem (sorry, I hate plastidip) and get a JDM matching rear emblem. They probably don't make one that fits in the holes perfectly but you just cut the pins off the back of the JDM emblem and use the mounting tape to hold it. See if the Si sedan or coupe rear emblem is about the same size.
-I wasn't interested in doing a TSX IM/TB swap but I'm getting more interested. Thanks for that, jerk.
Antime son, anytime ...

Actually two steps ahead of you there Mike !!

- I've been keeping my eye out for the lip that I can "modify" to work, but the fellow I got the pieces from didn't have a rear lip on his either and it didn't look odd ... we'll see ...
- I agree with you on the JDM emblems, if Betty wasn't Taffy White, I wouldn't have done it (maybe on black body, but regardless)
- I actually have the rear emblem, it just needs a good wetsand polish, and I plan on debadging the rear once I put this on
- the IM, TB and SRI cost me about $140 all said and done, so for me the cost/effect was WELL worth it - it's made me love the daily drive that much more.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I started reading the thread and was like "Oh cool! Story time!" There should be more threads like this that display progress. Especially the way he worded it, just makes this forum feel all the more like one big family.

Betty is looking good, and I too look forward to watching her age! Maybe your daughter will be driving it after you! Maybe :p

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Auto Guide.

·
Ballin' on a budget
484 Posts
I started reading the thread and was like "Oh cool! Story time!" There should be more threads like this that display progress. Especially the way he worded it, just makes this forum feel all the more like one big family.

Betty is looking good, and I too look forward to watching her age! Maybe your daughter will be driving it after you! Maybe :p

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Auto Guide.
I should probably merge Stella's two build logs in to one then eh.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There's finally a break in the rain today, so I wanted to seize my chance at getting my deck lid spoiler on the car and was hoping to put on the front lip as well ;

So, after I got that spoiler fixed in place - and because my youngest has been helping me clean the car - I noticed that in the sun light, the Duplicolor "Taffy White" I've been using is CLEARLY not the same clarity or brightness of white as the rest of Betty ... ? ... I had checked colour during the painting process a few times, but never when the car was completely sparkling clean and under sunlight.

The body pieces all received 2 coats Duplicolor grey sandable primer (150 grit initial, primer, then 600 grit clean up), followed by 4 coats Duplicolor Taffeta White (followed by 1500 grit wet sand), and finally 3 coats Duplicolor clear (with a 2000 grit wet sand right before final coat) has appears to have a slight yellow (think slightly yellowed teeth) to it compared to the rest of the car. It's slightly off, as in maybe 1 or 2 shades on a paint chip kind of difference ...

Maybe Betty's hide is just a bit sun bleached after 7 years, so fresh stuff is looking a little off ?

So now the DIY'er in me is thinking of going with black for the lips and skirts, and just letting the spoiler be. And the perfectionist in me is thinking of taking the pieces to a body shop and having them sprayed to match by a pro ...

I guess what it really boils down to, is that I notice it, but at 10 feet away you can't tell.

·
Fear The Turtle!
2,166 Posts
My opinion: don't have the lips contrast. If you can live with it, keep all of the lips and spoiler the color they are, if you can't, have them professionally sprayed.

BTW: did you use the bolts for your lip spoiler too or just the mounting tape? I just used the mounting tape. no issue in 8 months so far.

1 - 20 of 251 Posts