Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to paint the calipers.
So struggle to decide black or red or even gray with white honda decal :dunno::dunno:
What do you guys think?

a nice pic of a black car and gray rim with black, red or gray calipers will be appreciated.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Definitely black as it can kind of blend in and look subtle. I think anything else looks ridiculous if you don't have brembo's, wilwoods, stoptech, etc. I can't stop laughing when I see someone with 24's and TINY factory brakes, but they're painted. WTF

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
On my 7th Gen with Acura wheels, I went black calipers and silver brackets. Super fast if you spend ten minutes taking the brackets off and properly supporting the calipers.

Because the brackets were off, I painted them away from the car- 4 coats. The calipers themselves I left attached to the car, supported them properly, and just gave them five coats. Did all of this within 2 hours. If your car is new-ish, the calipers should be easy and quick to clean. If they are older and have gone through a few Chicago winters with road salt, you'll spend 20 minutes to clean each caliper properly.

Next morning, I reassembled everything and used new brake lube. I've used Rust-Oleum Hi Temp Engine paint for years with great results...$5 a can. I also did my Nissan 240sx brakes.

Search for member "glen e" for his caliper painting. He is a legend on here.

·
Registered
884 Posts
^THAT is tasteful. Red is too "look at me". That's especially bad when there isn't really anything to look at.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Thank you kind Sir....this Accord is a 4 cylinder, 100% stock, so if I painted the calipers "notice me" red I suspect my friends would have given me a beat down.

And I would have deserved it.

A cousin just dropped $85,000 on a BMW 5 series (all wheel drive) and I noticed those calipers and brackets were two slightly different, but tasteful shades of silver. This from the factory.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On my 7th Gen with Acura wheels, I went black calipers and silver brackets. Super fast if you spend ten minutes taking the brackets off and properly supporting the calipers.

Because the brackets were off, I painted them away from the car- 4 coats. The calipers themselves I left attached to the car, supported them properly, and just gave them five coats. Did all of this within 2 hours. If your car is new-ish, the calipers should be easy and quick to clean. If they are older and have gone through a few Chicago winters with road salt, you'll spend 20 minutes to clean each caliper properly.

Next morning, I reassembled everything and used new brake lube. I've used Rust-Oleum Hi Temp Engine paint for years with great results...$5 a can. I also did my Nissan 240sx brakes.

Search for member "glen e" for his caliper painting. He is a legend on here.

thanks for the pic.
just wondering, why do a lot of you guys only paint the bracket instead of the whole thing?

my car is only 3 weeks old. so i probably just need to wipe it.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
@hisoka: Three weeks old? Yeah, you can probably just wipe off the caliper and bracket as there is no surface rust on yours.

I paint the "whole thing", and not just the brackets. The calipers on this 7th Gen were coated with surface rust. I good wire brushing got rid of it all, then sprayed it down with brake cleaner. Since I used brake cleaner, I HAD to disassemble the brake pads from the caliper, and the caliper from the bracket and re-lube the back of the pads and their "ears" anyway.

And since it was all coming off, I left the metal shims unpainted.

Honda brakes are the easiest I have ever worked with. I can take a brake caliper, brake bracket, and rotor off in 15 minutes using just hand tools.

I wish I had done this when I first got this car, as the cleaning took longer than the painting!

Again, search for "glen e" and his write up on painting new calipers. You WILL receive compliments and it is so easy and cheap to do.

·
Banned
113 Posts
Thank you kind Sir....this Accord is a 4 cylinder, 100% stock, so if I painted the calipers "notice me" red I suspect my friends would have given me a beat down.

And I would have deserved it.

A cousin just dropped $85,000 on a BMW 5 series (all wheel drive) and I noticed those calipers and brackets were two slightly different, but tasteful shades of silver. This from the factory.
My dad has a 535i xdrive(4wd) it was brand new 55k not 80k guess he must have optioned it out or gotten a 550...

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I would buy the MGP covers RED because I have a Black&Red theme going on right now.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
My dad has a 535i xdrive(4wd) it was brand new 55k not 80k guess he must have optioned it out or gotten a 550...
550 x-drive m sport, all options....he is a urologist and drives cars for five years. As a small business owner, he can depreciate the car and write it off....It was $84,6XX out the door. House is paid for, retirement secured, and all three kids had their college loans paid off and are home owners....

He spared no expense...

So does your dad's car have painted calipers?

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
550 x-drive m sport, all options....he is a urologist and drives cars for five years. As a small business owner, he can depreciate the car and write it off....It was $84,6XX out the door. House is paid for, retirement secured, and all three kids had their college loans paid off and are home owners....

He spared no expense...

So does your dad's car have painted calipers?
Yeah, but he has to look at numerous wieners, some diseased, day in and day out. Are all those material things worth it? I don't know (just sour grapes).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts