Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am guessing this is something to do with the direct injected nature of the vehicle.. but i get some black dots all over the back of the car. I keep my car pretty darn clean, and this is annoying.

Would a catch can help alleviate part of this ?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes, if you're seeing black dust or "soot" on your car near the exhaust, it's most likely due to the direct injection nature of the car. DI engines, similar to diesels, emit more particulates or black carbon than conventional engines. I've noticed that my tailpipe is pretty much impossible to keep clean compared to my previous car.

Admittedly I don't know much about catch cans but I don't think that will change anything. The soot is from incomplete combustion and not related to your PCV system.

·
Registered
59 Posts
yes, soot... and this issue has led the mfrs to use the false exhaust tips on many cars. Ford designed a muffler tip on the Explorer Sport that appears to exit from the rear (actual tips, not a false port) but the fumes/soot actually dumps straight down, not back

·
Registered
94 Posts
yes, soot... and this issue has led the mfrs to use the false exhaust tips on many cars. Ford designed a muffler tip on the Explorer Sport that appears to exit from the rear (actual tips, not a false port) but the fumes/soot actually dumps straight down, not back
Wish they had done something like this on the Accord. The soot still blows right through and around the "finishers" Mine actually gets pretty bad. You can see lots of black residue above and around the tips. Wonder if there is a turn down that could be added without cutting anything.

·
Registered
675 Posts
With all the supposed benefits of direct injection, there seems to be a disproportionate number of hidden disadvantages.

·
Registered
303 Posts
With all the supposed benefits of direct injection, there seems to be a disproportionate number of hidden disadvantages.
Yeah it's interesting that Honda hasn't made changes since the first gen of DI engines. I know Toyota "duel injection" ie Port and Direct to combat this issue and some cars have particulate filters...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I haven't noticed this on the 1.5. I'll pay more attention when "hand washing" season comes around.

Most of the soot goes out the tail pipe, in any case, so a catch can can't help with this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 26,000 miles on my 2018 Accord EX 1.5L and have not noticed any "soot" on the back end of it, but I definitely have seen it on other cars. My car being white, it ought to show it very clearly but doesn't. Lucky? A decent amount of highway mileage? Frequent washes? Just not sure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just took a pic of my rear end. Been raining and most of the black residue has washed off.

Didn't notice it much when it was warm out. 2.0t....def needs a wash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would say it's normal? The dealership definitely will! Just shy of 13k miles on my 19 1.5 sport. I was also concerned when I noticed this after a trip to the mountains. I wash every 2 weeks and first 6k miles I noticed nothing then took a 500 mile trip to high elevation with some spirited driving (ran Deals Gap up and down a few times) and had a significant amount of soot on the bumper. My first thought was it was burning oil. I have noticed some every couple weeks now. Plenty have re-assured me this is the nature of a turbo car and not to be concerned. I have the warranty so I guess I'll run it till there is no compression if it is an oil burning issue. Will probably install a catch can to reduce the amount of oil going through the combustion chamber. I will be interested to see if that makes a difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts