Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have been wondering what this black substance is on my tailpipe. It has started getting worse since the summer as I was my car every week and it comes off when I wash it. Attached is a picture of it and this is after a week. I have a 2010 4Cyl

Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Auto part Muffler Pipe

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
Soot. It's much worse when you've removed one of the cats (which I have). I just spray painted it black because I was getting annoyed with cleaning it weekly.

Pics: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105681

You can still see the soot, but it's much less noticeable. (note: you have to use high temp paint).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Soot. It's much worse when you've removed one of the cats (which I have). I just spray painted it black because I was getting annoyed with cleaning it weekly.

Pics: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105681

You can still see the soot, but it's much less noticeable. (note: you have to use high temp paint).
Is soot a normal thing for this car? I have never had any issues with the 07 at my house with that.

·
4,062 Posts
Is soot a normal thing for this car? I have never had any issues with the 07 at my house with that.
Yes. I've seen it on other Accords in the parking lot at my work.

EDIT: I will add that your soot buildup does seem excessive assuming an OEM exhaust setup. Cheap fuel or maybe a little bit of oil consumption?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes. I've seen it on other Accords in the parking lot at my work.

EDIT: I will add that your soot buildup does seem excessive assuming an OEM exhaust setup. Cheap fuel or maybe a little bit of oil consumption?
Especially if that is only a weeks worth. I haven't washed my car in a month and don't even have that much build up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi guys,

I have been wondering what this black substance is on my tailpipe. It has started getting worse since the summer as I was my car every week and it comes off when I wash it. Attached is a picture of it and this is after a week. I have a 2010 4Cyl

View attachment 103401
This is normal on Accords actually most cars in general actually.. Could be anything from gas to additives to oil to running rich.. It's not an issue though.. There is one but underneath the chrome exhaust tip and it slides right off to reveal a regular looking ugly pipe lol.. Take it off and use steel wool or chemicals or just hot water and soap and give it a clean and throw it back on..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't spray it. The solution is simple.

1. Spray it with water when you're washing your car to get the surface dirt off.
2. Get a microfiber towel (that you don't care about getting dirty with).
3. Go to your local auto store and buy a can of Mothers® Mag & Aluminum Polish.
4. Damp a little bit of the polish onto your towel, rub against it to your exhaust tip until it turns black.
5. Keep rubbing and it will polish itself off, shiny as new.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Yes. I've seen it on other Accords in the parking lot at my work with oil soot on tailpipe.

There is always going to be some(light but noticeable) black soot on the bottom portion of the tail pipe and that is because VTEC and Honda engine uses some odd ounces of oil during an OCI due to VTEC crossover and the associated oil use of it, as a result. I know on my V6, is obviously does but surprisingly it happens on their I4 engines as well ..well not so much since the I4s also have VTEC. Heck, the only one I know for sure that didn't was my LS-S 96 Integra. Ironically, that was the one people were bolting on Turbos to. Fast forward to 2014, and Honda just released some news on low deplacement turbo engines!

Once the light black increases to where it covers the entire radius of the lower half of the tail pipe, that is when your car may be using more oil which could indicate an issue with well worn spark plugs meaning you might be 100k or more (I'm at 140k) ON THE ORIGINAL SPARK PLAUGS as well as PREMATURE SPARK PLUG degradation due to manufacture defect in design.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Seen this on my wife's 2012 Accord LX-P ever since we bought it new. I just wipe it up when cleaning the car. Her car is 100% stock and rarely goes into VTEC.

I get this on my 2013 Civic Si as well, also stock, and lots of VTEC time :) .

·
Registered
295 Posts
Happens on my car, and my car only burns maybe half a quart between changes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I was at the dealer today to pick my boss up as he left his car for service and one of the techs I know said that it's probably burning a little oil(I checked the dipstick and it was a little ways under the full line) he said just keep checking the oil and I shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Side note. I have looked around to see if I could find any high mileage 8th gens on the forums. What is the life of these engines. Not to bash this engine but my 94 seems so much stronger. It has over 200k and doesn't burn a drop of oil

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
4,062 Posts
I know there's some people around 100k miles. I think a few are in the 120k range too. Don't think there's much higher than that yet.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you see multiple quarts being lost between changes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts