Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My newest Accord problem, my car is an EX with single zone climate control. I was driving with the AC on, blower at like 15% speed on the knob. Suddenly out of nowhere,my blower motor sped up to like 75% max speed. I tried to turn it off (setting fan knob to off) and it wouldn't do anything, still stuck on the same speed. Turning the knob all the way would make the fan speed up to the highest level, but turning it down would make no effect below 75% speed. I pulled over, shut the car off, as soon as I turned the ignition to II, blower would speed up while set to off.

I got home 40 mins ago and left the car on for a while with the fan switch to off, eventually it started to go up and down until it went off. The fan worked normally through all speed ranges after this. While the problem was going on, I would set the fan speed to OFF, the AC compressor would turn off, which leads me to believe the control knob was indeed sending a signal. The blower would continue at the same speed blowing ambient temp air.

Any ideas on what might cause this issue? Here I am hoping its a one time thing but maybe someone can chime in.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
The climate control is electronic, disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes and reconnect, you may be able to reset the climate control computer.

You've got nothing to loose, and it's free.

While not the same thing, my electronic throttle control went screwy this summer, CEL came on and engine had next to no power, I can barely get the car to move at 5 miles an hour, disconnected and reconnected the battery, the car has been working perfectly fine for the last 4 months, the OBD-II reader shows absolutely no codes now, not even any pending codes.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion Avio.

Toaster, the AC is set to recirculate. Hardly problem solved. The Blower itself was ON, as in spinning, powered, high speed, blow your hair off speed while the fan knob was OFF. I drove the car today and it didn't happen. I will reset the battery tomorrow just in case.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had a similar problem on my '98. It was a simple fix in my situation: it was a loose fan setting control knob. I simply pulled it off and saw a metal clip inside the back of the knob that got misaligned. So what had happened was that even though it looked like it was on the 'off' position, in reality it was on the fan#1 position instead, so naturally the motor was always on even though in the off position and the ac would kick on when set with the defrost even with the engine off. I twisted the metal clip of the back side of the knob to the correct position and inserted a piece of wood so it would not go off alignment again. I'm not sure how your knob is on your car.

You could have an issue in the climate control area (harder to repair), however, given that your fan just exploded to high all of a sudden, I am suspecting your resistor to the blower fan motor could possibly be shot. I hope this is the case for you. The resistor controls the fan settings and if one of the coils of the resistor unit is shot, it will change resistance of the other settings and cause wacky fan problems you described. If this is your problem, this is fairly an easy fix, too.

I have no idea on your specific car where the resistor unit is. I saw mine and it's clearly visible and accessible from under the glovebox. I never had to touch it as my fix was the faulty knob. But it looked like a 5 min job to replace. Anyway, have a peek at this link and see if you can pull the resistor unit and look for a blown coil as clearly shown in one of the pictures in the link. In newer cars the resistor is much better and you may not see it "blown", so you will have to test with a multimeter. If you get to this point and can't figure it out let me know and I can walk you through. Here is the link:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2082345

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a similar problem on my '98. It was a simple fix in my situation: it was a loose fan setting control knob. I simply pulled it off and saw a metal clip inside the back of the knob that got misaligned. So what had happened was that even though it looked like it was on the 'off' position, in reality it was on the fan#1 position instead, so naturally the motor was always on even though in the off position and the ac would kick on when set with the defrost even with the engine off. I twisted the metal clip of the back side of the knob to the correct position and inserted a piece of wood so it would not go off alignment again. I'm not sure how your knob is on your car.

You could have an issue in the climate control area (harder to repair), however, given that your fan just exploded to high all of a sudden, I am suspecting your resistor to the blower fan motor could possibly be shot. I hope this is the case for you. The resistor controls the fan settings and if one of the coils of the resistor unit is shot, it will change resistance of the other settings and cause wacky fan problems you described. If this is your problem, this is fairly an easy fix, too.

I have no idea on your specific car where the resistor unit is. I saw mine and it's clearly visible and accessible from under the glovebox. I never had to touch it as my fix was the faulty knob. But it looked like a 5 min job to replace. Anyway, have a peek at this link and see if you can pull the resistor unit and look for a blown coil as clearly shown in one of the pictures in the link. In newer cars the resistor is much better and you may not see it "blown", so you will have to test with a multimeter. If you get to this point and can't figure it out let me know and I can walk you through. Here is the link:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2082345
Thanks, I've read about the resistor causing this also. The problem did not occur today either (reset the battery per Avio's suggestion). My battery is kind of old, so I was thinking maybe when the car's ELD system turned off the alternator maybe low voltage had some part. Everything is working great right now. If I get any issues I will change the battery then check resistor (in that order) it's located under the glove box on these also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts