Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

New to the forums, hope to be more active here if things go as planned. I'm going to look at a 2005 Accord 6-Speed Manual in the next week or so. It looks like it has been well-maintained, and has 89k miles on it. Seller is asking $5800 for it, which is consistent with the area. I'm really excited, I had a Prelude years ago and loved it, nothing beats a reliable Honda with some pep behind the pedal! Of course, I plan on taking the car to a Honda dealership for pre-purchase inspection.

Anyways, I've been reading up on these models and the only somewhat consistent problem I've found is the third gear sticking, and the spark plug slipping and blowing out the threads in the head. The former problem was officially addressed 2 years ago by Honda, and I'm not too worried about that as I don't consider it catastrophic, and there's a decent chance of getting a goodwill payout from Honda if it starts to act up.

The blown out cylinder head, however, I do see as catastrophic. I've read the sticky post and as much information as I can about the issue, and it seems like the common conception is to check the cylinders every so often, and just keep your fingers crossed, as the issue does not seem to effect everyone. That is about the extent of the information I could find on it. So, I'm wondering, what do you guys think? Is there any other better preventative measures? Replacing the stock plugs enough to get it off my mind, or will replacement plugs still blow? Some people seemed to think it was an issue with the torquing on the fifth cylinder, some seemed to think it was an issue with the head itself.

So my question is, should this be a deal breaker? Is there enough of a concern to warrant searching for a different model year? I'm in no rush to buy. Or can I avoid it safely by replacing stock plugs?

Also, if there's anything else to be aware of, let me know! Sorry for the huge wall of texts, and thanks for the help!

· Registered
106 Posts
The plugs aren't the problem. You are clearly scared so you should just walk away and get the 4 banger then hope it doesn't hemorrhage oil and end up needing the t-chain replaced. Either that, or get a Dodge.
ill have to agree with him not too sure about the dodge part but yea just take your time look around if u cant find a good one just go for an i4 with either atomatic or manual however you like it. but if you are buying the one you are talking about look into the cost of repair cause you never know that problem could turn into a big one

with the 6 cylinder one you need to take care of the timing belt and it might need replacing at some point and if u get an i4 the timing chain would not need replacement unless you lose oil and it jumps a tooth so i4 comes with you taking a bit more care of it

· Registered
400 Posts
Hey all,

New to the forums, hope to be more active here if things go as planned. I'm going to look at a 2005 Accord 6-Speed Manual in the next week or so. It looks like it has been well-maintained, and has 89k miles on it. Seller is asking $5800 for it, which is consistent with the area. I'm really excited, I had a Prelude years ago and loved it, nothing beats a reliable Honda with some pep behind the pedal! Of course, I plan on taking the car to a Honda dealership for pre-purchase inspection.

Anyways, I've been reading up on these models and the only somewhat consistent problem I've found is the third gear sticking, and the spark plug slipping and blowing out the threads in the head. The former problem was officially addressed 2 years ago by Honda, and I'm not too worried about that as I don't consider it catastrophic, and there's a decent chance of getting a goodwill payout from Honda if it starts to act up.

So my question is, should this be a deal breaker? Is there enough of a concern to warrant searching for a different model year? I'm in no rush to buy. Or can I avoid it safely by replacing stock plugs?

Also, if there's anything else to be aware of, let me know! Sorry for the huge wall of texts, and thanks for the help!
OK sounds like a good price and low miles considering the year. Take it to the Honda dealer if you like for the inspection. I did before I bought mine at 99k miles. Of course, there are several things that they will tell you that you will need to do, change all the fluids and belts. The dealer will let you know what these things are. However, the things that most likely need to be replaced are tires, and alignment. Those two things will make the biggest difference in the daily drive.

· Super Moderator
5,219 Posts
A 6-6 with low miles for $5800? I'd go for it. Can you bring it down to $53 or so? Your bargain chip is the upcoming timing belt job. Good luck!

· BRWNFLSH now
7,640 Posts
My 03 V6 has never had a problem with any of the plugs blowing out. A guy I trust said to torque the plugs to 22 footpounds (instead of 13 as the manual states). I torqued my plugs to 15 footpounds and haven't had any issues, now at 132k miles. It's a great car, IF it's been maintained right.

· Registered
5,377 Posts
The plugs aren't the problem. You are clearly scared so you should just walk away and get the 4 banger then hope it doesn't hemorrhage oil and end up needing the t-chain replaced. Either that, or get a Dodge.
He's right. The plugs aren't the problem. It's the engine. I'd take his advice and get the 4 banger. Yes... you can "hope it doesn't need a timing chain" (simple oil maintenance is all it needs), but the timing belt of the V6 is a guarantee.

Yep, I have an i4 with 192K and a Dodge with 266K. Worked out great!

· 8th Gen Believer
5,660 Posts
I put 200k miles on my 03 V6 and never, ever had an engine problem. We won't talk about the AT.

Reactions: Catfisha

· Super Moderator
5,219 Posts
get the 4 banger then hope it doesn't hemorrhage oil and end up needing the t-chain replaced. Either that, or get a Dodge.
He's right. The plugs aren't the problem. It's the engine. I'd take his advice and get the 4 banger. Yes... you can "hope it doesn't need a timing chain" (simple oil maintenance is all it needs), but the timing belt of the V6 is a guarantee.
A never ending cycle

Attachments

· Registered
143 Posts
I dont understand...

Does the car in question have a blown #5 or not? If not, and the seller is asking $5800 with less than 100K, the OP should be ass beaten via Singaporean caning for not buying it and dithering on the internet about BS.

By the way, when you write "blown #5" that makes me thing of a failed piston or otherwise dead cylinder. A plug blowing out is a relatively simple fix.

· Registered
348 Posts
Have your independent mechanic or Honda dealer look it over, it's well worth it for a thorough look-see. How's the body, any obvious rust?

Good luck in your decision. That car has less miles than my 2007 and is a V6, I'm envious!
Yet, whatever decision you make - ensure you have it completely looked over and run far away if the seller won't allow that.

· Registered
12 Posts
I have had a few of these 2003-2007 Accord V6's (4 to be exact), our latest one was sold with 297,000 miles still running and driving and the only thing we ever had to replace in regards to your worrying was #5 coil pack. I see this post is very old and for some reason it showed up as recent when I logged in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.