Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
2018 Honda Accord 1.5 turbo:
As of now 77,000 miles (almost 78,000) I'm the second owner.
The first owner put 39,000 miles on it. Every time the car needed work, while in my possession, it went to a Honda shop.
I'm not sure about the previous owner, but I'm sure I can find that information.
Just recently, back in July it started having some issues.
First, it started with a hard start and engine would shake for about 3 seconds. Then it settles and seems to be okay, but I would hear liquid pouring somewhere. (This can all be heard and felt within the car) at this point there weren't any check engine lights on, oil level and color looked okay, coolant level was normal and it drove fine.
For a little bit. About 2 weeks after this started the second issue popped up. At about 45-50 miles per hour the car won't accelerate, the check engine light comes on and it starts giving several prompts.
1. Tire Pressure Monitor System Problem 2. Emissions System Problem avoid heavy acceleration and high speeds
3. Brake System Proble
4. Vehicle Stability Assist System Problem 5. Adaptive Cruise Control System Problem
6. Lane Keeping Assist System Problem
7. Collision Mitigation Breaking System Problem
8. Road Departure Mitigation System Problem
All ending with see your dealer.
Scanned it and the code was P0303. Oh, simple fix, replace the spark plugs. That's what I hoped, knowing it could be more. Also, this had me wondering why spark plugs on a Honda would be going bad at 77,000 miles. It worked, for a day. So then the ignition coils were replaced. And that fixed it. So I thought, kinda. I was still thinking in the back of my head, why?
Well now, I have my answer. It had continued to have the rough started and the fluid rushing in sound for the last few months. I drove it as little as I possibly could as I knew there was a deeper issue. I just wasn't sure what and didn't have the money to go hunting/fix it.
Problem number 3, it comes up with a warning that the engine is too hot to drive. Yes, the temperature gage was all the way up to H. Then before the car could be pulled over to a safe location it went back down and the warning message went away. I was less than 5 miles from home and drove it there to sit until I could get it to the shop after the weekend.
The shop came back and told me that I had hydrocarbons in the coolant system! NO! In a Honda? With only 78,000 miles? Very odd. Then he proceeded to tell me that he is just as caught off as I am, so he had dome some googling and found that the 1.5 turbo is causing all sorts of issues. Oil dilution is one and similar issues as my 1.5 turbo. He also said that some only had 22,000 miles.
So now, I'm looking at a possible blown head gasket, cracked head or block. It's just sitting in my driveway collecting dust while I'm still making the payment.
I bought this car because I know that this doesn't happen to Hondas. Hondas are supposed to run until your children can drive them. I'm really disappointed and frustrated.

· Registered
1 Posts
This reply is late considering the initial post date but I also have a blown head gasket on my 2018 Honda Accord 1.5. Parts are not available anywhere, not even direct from Honda. My dad is very good friends with a Honda mechanic and he said that the blown head gasket is a huge problem with those engines and they’ve actually had one sitting there for 2 months because they can’t get parts to fix it. That’s at the service Dept at the dealership. He ended up telling me that for now to use the sealant that you put in your coolant because he has no idea when parts will become available. I couldn’t even get a new thermostat since they are also not available but we did get the sealant and followed the directions to a T and after fighting some air bubbles in the line and my car wanting to overheat, everything is running great. Of course I’m just waiting for the next issue since there is always an issue with this car. It would be great if they could fix the tire pressure light since that damn thing is constantly on no matter what you do. Braking on turns because it sees a shiny sign is also an issue. I’m pretty over it. The mental stress of getting to work on a very long commute wondering if my car is going to breakdown is just to much. Honda use to be great but not anymore.

· Registered
1 Posts
2018 Honda Accord 1.5 turbo:
As of now 77,000 miles (almost 78,000) I'm the second owner.
The first owner put 39,000 miles on it. Every time the car needed work, while in my possession, it went to a Honda shop.
I'm not sure about the previous owner, but I'm sure I can find that information.
Just recently, back in July it started having some issues.
First, it started with a hard start and engine would shake for about 3 seconds. Then it settles and seems to be okay, but I would hear liquid pouring somewhere. (This can all be heard and felt within the car) at this point there weren't any check engine lights on, oil level and color looked okay, coolant level was normal and it drove fine.
For a little bit. About 2 weeks after this started the second issue popped up. At about 45-50 miles per hour the car won't accelerate, the check engine light comes on and it starts giving several prompts.
1. Tire Pressure Monitor System Problem 2. Emissions System Problem avoid heavy acceleration and high speeds
3. Brake System Proble
4. Vehicle Stability Assist System Problem 5. Adaptive Cruise Control System Problem
6. Lane Keeping Assist System Problem
7. Collision Mitigation Breaking System Problem
8. Road Departure Mitigation System Problem
All ending with see your dealer.
Scanned it and the code was P0303. Oh, simple fix, replace the spark plugs. That's what I hoped, knowing it could be more. Also, this had me wondering why spark plugs on a Honda would be going bad at 77,000 miles. It worked, for a day. So then the ignition coils were replaced. And that fixed it. So I thought, kinda. I was still thinking in the back of my head, why?
Well now, I have my answer. It had continued to have the rough started and the fluid rushing in sound for the last few months. I drove it as little as I possibly could as I knew there was a deeper issue. I just wasn't sure what and didn't have the money to go hunting/fix it.
Problem number 3, it comes up with a warning that the engine is too hot to drive. Yes, the temperature gage was all the way up to H. Then before the car could be pulled over to a safe location it went back down and the warning message went away. I was less than 5 miles from home and drove it there to sit until I could get it to the shop after the weekend.
The shop came back and told me that I had hydrocarbons in the coolant system! NO! In a Honda? With only 78,000 miles? Very odd. Then he proceeded to tell me that he is just as caught off as I am, so he had dome some googling and found that the 1.5 turbo is causing all sorts of issues. Oil dilution is one and similar issues as my 1.5 turbo. He also said that some only had 22,000 miles.
So now, I'm looking at a possible blown head gasket, cracked head or block. It's just sitting in my driveway collecting dust while I'm still making the payment.
I bought this car because I know that this doesn't happen to Hondas. Hondas are supposed to run until your children can drive them. I'm really disappointed and frustrated.
Just took my 2018 Hybrid 2.0 in with the exact same prompts collision, tire, hill holding, brake... Basically every code the vehicle could throw.. 211 miles left on extended warranty. Sounds like it may now be a 3600 pound paper weight. Ugh!

· More cars, more problems
487 Posts
It strikes me as odd that most of the people reporting head gasket problems made one or two posts then never came back here. Maybe just a “I need to vent about this car problem wherever I can” type deal. I’m not putting too much weight on such posts myself.
Yep, this thread continues to be the "one post wonder" thread.

The post by nhesseltine24 particularily interesting since the font being used is Segoe UI: a font not available in the editor on this forum, but the editor will insert fonts when text is pasted in from something like Microsoft Word, which Segoe UI just so happens to be the default font.

· Registered
2019 Platinum Pearl White 2.0 Sport 6MT
356 Posts
Yep, this thread continues to be the "one post wonder" thread.

The post by nhesseltine24 particularily interesting since the font being used is Segoe UI: a font not available in the editor on this forum, but the editor will insert fonts when text is pasted in from something like Microsoft Word, which Segoe UI just so happens to be the default font.
Yeah, i tend not to respond to an OP who starts this type of a discussion as their first post because i feel like those are the people that just blast forums and then ghost. At least join in on a thread or two before you start your own thread.

That being said - ms office has always defaulted to Calibri font (yuck) for me. So, the first thing i do whenever i get a new computer is change the office apps' default font to Arial.

· Registered
1 Posts
I got a 2018 1.5 sport was driving downhill and all the lights on my dashboard came on I took it to the shop paid 210 for them just to check it to tell me I have to pay 5,000 for a head gasket replacement due to my 3 cylinder misfiring due to having coolant in it honestly I’ve had this car for a year and just got out of warranty and I don’t know what to do I’ve been taking good care of the car

· original owner 2018 accord lx
2018 accord lx 60,320 miles
29 Posts
I also have a blown head gasket as told by dealer. 2018 accord lx, just out of warranty, 60,320 miles, brought to dealer for $172 diagnostics due to misfire (p0301) code and lots of stupid error messages on driver info screen. Dealer tech noticed low coolant in resevoir and stated on report, "start with head gasket replacement", $4100. I'm like wtf? This car has been babied and never overheated. I've taken very good care of this vehicle and never had issue other than dumb tpms misqueues and faulty anti-collision sensing issues at over passes and along side vehicles on curves (mainly on highways). Before bringing it to dealer, read the code, swapped ignition coils and spark plugs, no change in misfire on cylinder 1. Radiator was full but the resevoir was empty. I had never added coolant in 4 years so didn't really think twice about why it was missing, what, maybe a cup of fluid. I've owned honda's a long time, since '87, and never had engine problems of any significance. Bought this car thinking 10 years trouble free. Wrong. As it turns out, this earth dreams 1.5 turbo is poorly designed and very problematic. Check u-tube for civic tuners having the same exact engine . . . they analyze failures. Weak and undersized head bolts, undersized connectiing rods, and if oil dilution was a problem, all bearings are scored - in short, engine destruction. I do not know of any preventive maintenance for avoiding a blown head gasket other than making sure it does not overheat. This engine is either poorly designed or has significant manufacturing defects. I've seen hundreds of comments on u-tube for this same issue.
I opened a case w/honda customer support . . . they only want to cover 1/2 the cost . . . I say BS. This experience has turned me against ever buying another honda (sadly).

29 Posts
It strikes me as odd that most of the people reporting head gasket problems made one or two posts then never came back here. Maybe just a “I need to vent about this car problem wherever I can” type deal. I’m not putting too much weight on such posts myself.
if you are skeptical about posters informing you about 1.5t problems, do your own research on youtube. You will find hundreds if not thousands of comments from honda 1.5t owners complaining about head gaskets, fuel injectors, turbo failures, oil dilution. Especially follow honda tech channels (mechanics who work at a honda dealers) where they are now seeing a large number of customers post 60k miles who have blown head gaskets. The dealers claim to figure out the real issue after hitting the customer w/new spark pluts, ignition coils, fuel injectors replacements. I believe Honda has a real issue w/the 1.5t earth dreams engine.

· Registered
2021 Accord Hybrid Touring
59 Posts
if you are skeptical about posters informing you about 1.5t problems, do your own research on youtube. You will find hundreds if not thousands of comments from honda 1.5t owners complaining about head gaskets, fuel injectors, turbo failures, oil dilution. Especially follow honda tech channels (mechanics who work at a honda dealers) where they are now seeing a large number of customers post 60k miles who have blown head gaskets. The dealers claim to figure out the real issue after hitting the customer w/new spark pluts, ignition coils, fuel injectors replacements. I believe Honda has a real issue w/the 1.5t earth dreams engine.
Im not completely discounting these posts but it’s just somewhat annoying that folks join a forum, make one or two (maybe up to ten) posts about an issue then disappear without following up on the resolution. I can understand the frustration with a large life purchase have big problems but I figure if a person is going to post about the issue they could perhaps also take the time to follow up.

· Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone had blow head gasket issues with their 2018 Honda Accord? We have our car at the dealership now and they are saying we have a blown head gasket (possibly) and once we give them to ok to fix they will pull it apart to see if it also has a cracked engine.

I have been looking through sites and found that several other people are having the same issue with the 2018 (mostly turbo) Honda accord but Honda will not do anything/issue a recall until enough people complain.

So is anyone else having the same issue? Have you documented it with Honda? What is the best way to document with them in hopes that there is a recall if this is a common issue that is happening?
I have a 2018 Accord with 70,000 miles on it. I’m the only owner. Out of no where the head gasket went and all fuel injectors. How. I service it every 3000 miles. It never over heated and always change the oil. Now Honda dealer wants $5000 to do a head gasket. I see I’m not the only one going thru this. It seems like every 2018 or new is having the same issue. If everyone is having the same issue then how is it the owner fault. I won’t be buying another Honda. Seems like they just want your money and stick you with a lemon. Now I have a $11,000 vehicle that I’m still paying on in my drive way. Don’t have the $5000 to fix a vehicle that should of lasted a lot longer than 4 yrs

· Registered
4 Posts
I know this thread is years old, but I just got a call from our dealership that we have a blown head gasket. 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid, 80,000 miles. Only symptom was an extreme drop in temperature overnight, started car and it was shaking. After warming up, shaking stopped and car drove normally. Happened twice in 2 days, let it rest for a day and then drove it 70 miles to our closest dealership (where we bought the car) without any issues, lights, shaking and 2 days later this is our answer.

· Registered
3,111 Posts
@IzXx @s.nicholas - Contact Honda USA and open a case directly with them. Others with blown '18 head gaskets have gotten some help with repair costs from Honda.

Make sure you have docs to show all routine maintenance service has been done, should Honda ask for it, and keep track of case number, dates, names etc of all contacts with Honda.

They probably won't cover the entire repair but asking is free and you might be able to negotiate a higher amount than their first offer, and/or possibly including loaner while yours is in the shop.

Hope they'll cover at least some of the costs....

· Registered
4 Posts
@IzXx @s.nicholas - Contact Honda USA and open a case directly with them. Others with blown '18 head gaskets have gotten some help with repair costs from Honda. Make sure you have docs to show all routine maintenance service has been done, should Honda ask for it, and keep track of case number, dates, names etc of all contacts with Honda. They probably won't cover the entire repair but asking is free and you might be able to negotiate a higher amount than their first offer, and/or possibly including loaner while yours is in the shop. Hope they'll cover at least some of the costs....
Thank you!

· Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone had blow head gasket issues with their 2018 Honda Accord? We have our car at the dealership now and they are saying we have a blown head gasket (possibly) and once we give them to ok to fix they will pull it apart to see if it also has a cracked engine.

I have been looking through sites and found that several other people are having the same issue with the 2018 (mostly turbo) Honda accord but Honda will not do anything/issue a recall until enough people complain.

So is anyone else having the same issue? Have you documented it with Honda? What is the best way to document with them in hopes that there is a recall if this is a common issue that is happening?
I've searched and did not find any news about blown head gaskets in 10 gen Hondas.

To the OP: please let us know if your car overheated, and how many times if so. And, if your car has overheated a few times, then you should have had your car in a shop and the problem taken care of before the head warped and the head gasket blew and the coolant all leaked out.

Poor maintenance and lack of attention to detail is not covered by your warranty. Sorry for the accusatory tone of my response, but I suspect there is an obvious cause for your car's problem and, again, it is not warrantied.
This just happened to my 2018 Accord and as the Deslership could see - I have always had my oil changed there and had excellent maintenance. My car never over heated. Never any tell tale signs.

· Registered
4 Posts
Our service rep at the dealership called Honda who granted us a 60% goodwill discount. Just wanted to chime back in on how our situation turned out. As for those saying it’s hilarious that this only affects new members, perhaps there is an uptick in this issue happening as all 2018’s are reaching their breaking points for this issue to occur. Instead of being salty, perhaps offer advice. The reason we are all here is because we googled our issue and this awesome forum of knowledge that we don’t always understand popped up. I found it incredibly helpful. So for those chiming in with advice and tips, THANK YOU! You helped guide me through a process I was completely ignorant in.

29 Posts
I'm new to the forum because I never had an issue w/my accord. Now I do. I went looking for information and found this forum. Honda is not providing information on failure numbers. They say it's an internal data collection activity. If they see lots of accords being impacted by blown head gaskets they will extend the warranty. This is what I was told by phone support. Not reassuring. I'm guessing a class action lawsuit will be the only way to find out how many accords are impacted and to drive honda into extending the warranty. This is my first time w/having a new car turn into a lemon. It may be that I have a lemon and most of the other accords are just fine. Who knows? If someone has a better way to determine the frequency of this head gasket problem, please share. The only way I know of is to search the web. When I did, i was very surpised w/how many other 10th generation accord owners are having the same issues w/the 1.5t.

· Registered
2014 Accord Sport MSM
320 Posts
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this issue only seems to affect new forum members. It's gone from suspicious to uncanny to almost humorous.
Think about it - 99.9% of vehicle owners are probably not on any automotive forum. When you are suddenly presented with a fat repair bill (in this case head gasket repair) for a car built by a manufacturer with a reputation for quality and longevity, you'd get curious and google it.... stumbling across a forum where others have had similar issues is only to be expected at that point.

The earliest built 10G Accords are around 5 years of age now, I'm disappointed but not surprised teething issues are arising. The 1.5t seems to be a good overall engine, but head gasket is certainly an issue that's common unfortunately.

One thing I am curious about is the cooling system design differences for the 10G Accord 1.5T versus 10G Civic 1.5T/2.0.
Accords simply have a coolant overflow bottle, whereas the Civic's have a expansion tank/'degas' bottle design:
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive fuel system Automotive design Vehicle

After owning TWO G35's, I learned how important it is to purge/bleed air out of the cooling system. On the G35/350Z, the heater hoses route above the engine block to reach the firewall, thus, you have huge opportunity for air pockets/air lock when filling the system with coolant after repairs/maintenance. The bleeding/purging process is a pain in the ass, even with a coolant fill funnel.

I am not familiar with the 10G accords, but if the radiator cap is effectively any bit lower than any portion of the cooling system, its asking for air pockets to form. Any air in the cooling system dramatically lowers the efficiency of the coolant to transfer heat to/from major engine components, which could lead to hot spots anywhere, around the head gasket, in the turbo, etc...... thus potential for component failure. This is a high-strung small displacement engine with high 10.3:1 compression and over 20PSI of boost from factory for the Accord. On that, the Civic makes 174hp (Si makes 200) whilst Accord makes 192hp & has to push around a bit more curb weight. Sadly, it appears the 11G Civic's went back to an overflow bottle as well :cautious:

The degas bottle design effectively purges air from the cooling system by itself, as the coolant is drawn into the expansion tank (even when the thermostat is closed) allowing any air to rise to the highest point with ease. The aftermarket is beginning to offer kits to upgrade G35/350Z to this design in the form of a swirl pot, and thus far from what I've read it effectively eliminates the air lock issues and even some overheating issues.

Why Honda decided on the difference in cooling system design's is beyond me, it seems to me someone in powertrain engineering was concerned for the Civics & maybe someone else wasn't for the Accord. Regardless, I'd be curious to know the percentage of 1.5t failures in the Accord vs Civic with very similar engine but different cooling system designs.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts