Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had blow head gasket issues with their 2018 Honda Accord? We have our car at the dealership now and they are saying we have a blown head gasket (possibly) and once we give them to ok to fix they will pull it apart to see if it also has a cracked engine.

I have been looking through sites and found that several other people are having the same issue with the 2018 (mostly turbo) Honda accord but Honda will not do anything/issue a recall until enough people complain.

So is anyone else having the same issue? Have you documented it with Honda? What is the best way to document with them in hopes that there is a recall if this is a common issue that is happening?

·
Registered
2020 EX-L 2.0T 10AT
141 Posts
Has anyone had blow head gasket issues with their 2018 Honda Accord? We have our car at the dealership now and they are saying we have a blown head gasket (possibly) and once we give them to ok to fix they will pull it apart to see if it also has a cracked engine.

I have been looking through sites and found that several other people are having the same issue with the 2018 (mostly turbo) Honda accord but Honda will not do anything/issue a recall until enough people complain.

So is anyone else having the same issue? Have you documented it with Honda? What is the best way to document with them in hopes that there is a recall if this is a common issue that is happening?
1.5 or 2.0T?

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,223 Posts
Well, a recall is only for safety related issues. But if you find enough affected people, you might be able to try a class action lawsuit for coverage or an extended warranty on it. You'd need to hire a lawyer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
FYI, all 2018+ Accords are either 1.5 turbo or 2.0 turbo engine.
Honda built almost 300,000 Accords in 2018. I doubt any manufacturer would willingly begin a recall if only a very very small percentage experience any issue, especially if its a head gasket which is a very labor intense job... If your car is under warranty, and the Honda dealership replaces the engine free of cost without any hassle, I don't see reason to make a big fuss over it.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
This is the first post about a blown head gasket issue. As others have asked , 1.5 or a 2.0?

The issue should be covered under the powertrain warranty of 5yrs/60,000 miles.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2005 6mt and Hudouc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1.5 or 2.0T?
Its a 1.5

This is the first post about a blown head gasket issue. As others have asked , 1.5 or a 2.0?

The issue should be covered under the powertrain warranty of 5yrs/60,000 miles.

It's over 60K so its not covered

FYI, all 2018+ Accords are either 1.5 turbo or 2.0 turbo engine.
Honda built almost 300,000 Accords in 2018. I doubt any manufacturer would willingly begin a recall if only a very very small percentage experience any issue, especially if its a head gasket which is a very labor intense job... If your car is under warranty, and the Honda dealership replaces the engine free of cost without any hassle, I don't see reason to make a big fuss over it.
If they were covering I wouldn't be asking, its no longer under warranty. I also saw other posts on a different site about the same issue for the 2018 Honda Accord, figured I would post here to see if there is a larger group of people experiencing the same issue.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
How many miles on your car? The reason I ask if you are just barely out of warranty you may get some "goodwill". Especially if your car was maintained properly and you have all the documentation.

There have not been any blown head gaskets on this forum.
The main issue people were talking about was the oil dilution issues.

Was there coolant in the oil or oil in the radiator? You may have a cracked block? Did the car over heat?

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Can you provide the links to these several owners??

Been here since '07...never, ever seen a head gasket issue reported here on DA for a 10th gen.

·
port & polish everything
1,655 Posts
Are you the original owner?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Well, a recall is only for safety related issues. But if you find enough affected people, you might be able to try a class action lawsuit for coverage or an extended warranty on it. You'd need to hire a lawyer.
Class action lawsuits benefit only the lawyer class.

Class action lawsuits benefit only the lawyer class.
...and also the big data companies when they sell your information.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I got nothing against OP but I absolutely can't stand when people ask/post questions and then 10-15 members have to pry words/replies out of them asking basic things they should have provided upfront (if they actually want any advice). No engine listed, no transmission listed, no mileage listed, no history listed (clean/salvage title, accident), no ownership history listed, etc.

·
Registered
146 Posts
We have people on here who posted about how much they hated the little chime music when you shut your door. Others asked and/or complained about the natural ticking sound direct injection engines make. And plenty have let us know how much this accord sucks in terms of ride and noise quality. I doubt blown head gaskets would be ignored by the entire forum base. I'm on other forums including subreddits and nothing there either.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've searched and did not find any news about blown head gaskets in 10 gen Hondas.

To the OP: please let us know if your car overheated, and how many times if so. And, if your car has overheated a few times, then you should have had your car in a shop and the problem taken care of before the head warped and the head gasket blew and the coolant all leaked out.

Poor maintenance and lack of attention to detail is not covered by your warranty. Sorry for the accusatory tone of my response, but I suspect there is an obvious cause for your car's problem and, again, it is not warrantied.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6MT
171 Posts
Never heard of this either. There's a LOT of 1.5Ts out there. It could be a case of really bad luck, or poor maintenance. Good luck, OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
When I car shop I scan forums for real feedback. Not accusing but wonder if companies like Kia and Honda know this and post random stuff on forums?
I have enough sense to look for 10 blown head gaskets as an example

·
Registered
146 Posts
What area are you in OP? Different conditions in weather (extreme heat/cold) sometimes contribute to these things and if the other people you mentioned are in the same area/weather conditions it could help your case.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
It's over 60K so its not covered
I haven't gone through the rest of the replies yet, but I was under the impression that most dealers offered a lifetime powertrain warranty that covers certain things as long as you get the car serviced on a certain schedule.

Wow.
No updates from the OP??

Interesting.
Some people just fire and forget

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,223 Posts
Font Rectangle Plant Electric blue Multimedia

OP is giving me mad one post (2 post) guy vibes...

I suspect that OP came here expecting to find other affected owners, and simply gave up when they didn't.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts