Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Industrial Designer
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup DA!

I'm just killing some time at work before a meeting and thought I'd introduce myself.

I was originally the owner of an Arctic Blue Pearl '02 RSX-S which I bought new (it's also my online namesake ^_^).

Well, to make a long story short, it was time to let Blu3 go when my oldest son could no longer comfortably fit in the back while in the booster seat among other cosmetic and mechanical issues with the car. I was happy with these issues, but my better half, however, was not.

Needless to say, after 13 years of owning this car, we knew it was time for something to accommodate our growing family.

That's when my wife, on the way home from work, found a blue Accord Coupe sitting in the lot of a used car dealer down the street from us.

"It's you!" she told me. And, strangely, it was me. Sitting in it was just like being in Blu3; all very familiar but a little bit bigger, not too much, and faster, which was a bonus. :smile

Here's the serendipitous thing. My wife wanted to test drive it before we made a final decision. I went to my car and grabbed a Beastie Boys CD "License to Ill" so I could fiddle with radio / CD controls while she drove. And as I was about to put in the CD, "Fight For Your Right To Party" just started playing on the radio station which happened to be the first song on my CD. That's when I knew without her even driving it off the lot, we were buying it. This was in August of last year and have since been a proud owner of a 2009 Accord Coupe. I was also glad to stay in the Honda family considering how well the RSX kept up over the years.

It was sad, really, to let go of my RSX because of all the memories. When you have had something that long, it becomes a part of you, a part of your life but I'm so grateful for those memories because they were, and are, all wonderful.

So, I told my wife, I wasn't too crazy about the wheels. They did look decent but didn't fit my style and were the first things to modify. I also knew they were probably really heavy which a scale helped to verify as they weighed over 60 lbs. each:

Also, there were 3 different brands of tires on them.

I bought some Advanti Hybris 20" x 8.5" which are the lightest wheels available in that diameter that was reasonably priced. For tires, I got General G-Max 245/35's. Other than that, I put a K&N drop-in filter, drilled some holes in the air filter housing, and installed a Magnaflow high-flow catalytic converter to give it bit more punch and growl. More recently, I swapped out the rear sway bar for a Progress 22mm:

That's where things are now but I'm definitely glad to be here on Drive Accord for the start of my story with Blu3 Jasmine. ;)

·
Industrial Designer
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thought I'd share a quick soundbite of my car

As Blu3 is my daily driver and our family car, I didn't want a full-blown performance exhaust system. So, what you're hearing is my car with the following mods...

Drilled holes in my air filter housing, as such

In addition to a K&N drop-in filter it's like having the benefit of a short-ram intake. I also have a high-flow catalytic converter for the exhaust side of things.

Although, I'm still debating on getting a cat-back exhaust system but my brain's like, "nah, the missus won't go for that." :dunno:

As far as gas mileage is concerned, I can get over 500 miles per tank of gas if I'm diligent about using my cruise control averaging a bit over 25 mpg with my wheel / tire setup. I drive an hour to work and it's almost exclusive all highway with three or four stops because of stop signs and a couple traffic lights if my timing is lucky.

When I get around to it, I can get some soundbites of the car from outside. It sounds really decent in a parking garage but more so in a tunnel or passing under an overpass. :nerd

·
Industrial Designer
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did have some time this weekend for a Plasti Dip project. As previously mentioned, I bought our car in August of last year. For the most part, the trunk looked like this photo which was taken in January 2015:

But since then, the clearcoat on it started to degrade fairly rapidly so that by this past weekend, it had looked like this (note: decklid spoiler was removed prior to photo so I could sand the trunk unimpeded):

The clearcoat on the bumper below the trunk also started to delaminate:

I began to suspect that the car was in an accident but there was nothing in the CarFax report which discussed any such event to suggest otherwise.

In any case, I had considered just getting it all redone and had quotes for getting the trunk and whole car repainted which ranged from over $1700 to $4000+. Then a co-worker mentioned that he PlastiDip'd his motorcycle which turned me on to the idea of doing the trunk myself so after some research on the topic, I jumped in as it felt doable within my skillset.

It was in the 60's on Saturday and I wanted to keep the cans warm while I prepped the car (sanding, masking, car wash) so I turned our oven on to 200 degrees and shut it off. After about 15 minutes I put the cans of PlastiDip, while in the shipping box, into the oven so they would stay warm. Please note, also, I would *highly* recommend getting a spray handle if you're thinking about tackling a job like this because even though I was doing a small area, it did take several coats and your hand strength to use the handle is much greater than the strength of your individual finger to spray the can.

Here's what it looked like using the Flex Blue PlastiDip which closely matched, I'm assuming, the factory blue color and decklid spoiler re-installed:

Then, just for a dash of style I added some stripes because I'm totally an Adidas fanboy ^_^

I scored a "win" from the missus when she said it looked nice :x

I bought 2 cans of Flex Blue and 1 can of white PlastiDip. I used 1.5 cans of the Flex Blue so I have some left over and I had masking tape and packing paper material from our move to use for masking the large areas. All I really paid for was the PlastiDip which cost $29.90, shipped from DipYourCar.com , which sure as hell beats a four digit budget in my book. So, that's a win for me :thmsup:

·
Industrial Designer
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking good man
:thmsup: thanks!

please tell me your going to paint your trunk? that looks so tacky lol. yes i saw your failing clearcoat, but still. paint that thing!
Oh, it's getting painted...this is only a temporary remedy. I can deal with it looking like this than the peeling clearcoat. Besides, I don't want to cramp my gaming finger :tongue:

·
Industrial Designer
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In addition to my PlastiDip fun, I also installed a new grille:

The chrome plating also showed signs of delaminating as you can see in this image:

And being conscious of weight, I was curious what kind of impression on the scale this mod would make:

However, while I was changing out the grille, I learned some things which I can only share with anyone looking to buy a new (used) car in that, some things you'll only find out later than sooner, unfortunately. For example, in removing the front bumper, I discovered that there was some hastily executed repairs done to this part which the bumper mounts to (note at the red arrow where a bracket is missing to mount to the frame):

I discovered the grille was attached with screws instead of the quick release fasteners:

And then I learned why the fog light on the driver's side was a bit wobbly. There was a bracket missing:

These are just some of the tidbits of information I'm learning as time goes on. Part of this does come from my own mistake of NOT taking the car to be professionally inspected prior to buying. I was an Engineman in the Navy so I felt qualified in being able to determine if any mechanical misgivings the car might have would decide if we should buy it or not.

I'll chalk it up to "lesson learned" and would definitely recommend anyone in the market to spend a few bucks for a dealer to give any used-car purchase a once-over. Luckily though, I haven't had any mechanical issues.

·
Industrial Designer
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you should do a nice quad retrofit and black out the headlights! i used black chrome which looks so much nicer than actual gloss black or matt black

I concur ^_^ Yeah, I'll have to add that to the list since the headlight housings are showing signs of hairline cracking in the lenses.

·
Industrial Designer
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Industrial Designer
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,942 Posts
Your Accord looks super sharp! Good job on your mods too, the new grille looks sick.

·
Industrial Designer
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, while working on my rear brakes this past weekend, I had one particular bolt on the hub of the passenger side which proved to be a real PITA. I sheared two ratchet extensions just trying to loosen the bolt.

I did use a generous amount of Liquid Wrench but I may have been a bit hasty to begin the work by not allowing enough time for it to properly penetrate. Luckily, after a process of tightening/loosening said bolt, a little more Liquid Wrench, and using gradual pressure, the bolt eventually gave way. I was down to my last two ratchet extensions so if the third one failed, I would've had to resort to more drastic measures (i.e. FIRE).

R.I.P. ratchet extensions
:crying

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,942 Posts
That happened to me with Selene, changing the brakes the same as you. Ended up taking another extension, slipping a long piece of pipe over the handle to give more leverage and only THEN did the bolt come loose. Yeesh. The boyfriend broke two ratchets trying to change the pad on the front driver's side before that, too. We had to cut the bolts off from the sway bar links to get them out. They were that tight.

Every bolt on my car seems to have been tightened by a Greek titan and then sealed into place by supernaturally strong rust. I can't believe we didn't snap any valve cover gasket bolts when we changed the gasket.

·
Industrial Designer
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your Accord looks super sharp! Good job on your mods too, the new grille looks sick.
Thanks! I did add that red detail to the grille as an homage to a GTI I used to have.

That happened to me with Selene, changing the brakes the same as you. Ended up taking another extension, slipping a long piece of pipe over the handle to give more leverage and only THEN did the bolt come loose. Yeesh. The boyfriend broke two ratchets trying to change the pad on the front driver's side before that, too. We had to cut the bolts off from the sway bar links to get them out. They were that tight.

Every bolt on my car seems to have been tightened by a Greek titan and then sealed into place by supernaturally strong rust. I can't believe we didn't snap any valve cover gasket bolts when we changed the gasket.
*shakes tiny fist at Greek titans!

+1 for the Alphonse Mucha avi ^_^

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,942 Posts
+1 for the Alphonse Mucha avi ^_^
Good eye...HIM used it for Uneasy Listening Volume 1's album cover, which is where I first saw it:

(original)

"The cover for this album used a piece of art work by Czech Art Nouveau painter and artist Alfons Muchas. The name of the print is titled "Cycles Perfecta" from 1902. However, the artist's estate apparently did not allow full reproduction of the image so it had to be changed. The art work was eventually revised using Alfons Muchas' 1896 print titled "Salammbô." 50,000 copies were printed up with the original cover."

(reprint)

I have a copy with the original cover ;)

·
Industrial Designer
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good eye...HIM used it for Uneasy Listening Volume 1's album cover, which is where I first saw it:

(original)

"The cover for this album used a piece of art work by Czech Art Nouveau painter and artist Alfons Muchas. The name of the print is titled "Cycles Perfecta" from 1902. However, the artist's estate apparently did not allow full reproduction of the image so it had to be changed. The art work was eventually revised using Alfons Muchas' 1896 print titled "Salammbô." 50,000 copies were printed up with the original cover."

(reprint)

I have a copy with the original cover ;)

I definitely like the original as the subject is more engaged with the viewer and especially the signature style of her curling, wispy hair. Plus, all the blu3 ^_^

I've not heard of this group, though. Any song/album recommendations?

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,942 Posts
They have a lot of albums...but I would say my favorite album when I first heard it was Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights, like, a better experience as a whole album. Razorblade Romance probably has more of my now favorite tracks than the others, though. The album mentioned above is a remix album that has a lot of good tracks on it, but I'd only recommend the remixes once you've heard and fell in love with the originals.

As for songs they have covers of Don't Fear the Reaper, Solitary Man and Wicked Game if you're into Blue Oyster Cult or Chris Isaak, haha.

My favorite tracks are Join Me in Death, Bury Me Deep Inside Your Heart, For You, The Path, One Last Time and just about every track on Uneasy Listening. They're a Finnish band and their music is dark and heavy, but in a softer way; it's not like death or speed metal or anything...and I effing love speed metal. It's hard to describe without hearing it. Both of my parents are huge fans too after they heard me listening to it, haha.

You can find them all on YouTube easily.

To get back on topic of cars, I almost put a huge HIM logo on the hood of what was supposed to be my first car but things changed, a '98 Mitsubishi Eclipse. But it's a good thing I didn't, because the paint ended up peeling off the hood after a few years, from the heat of the engine. I wanted to paint the entire car black and put a red logo on it. Would've been sweet but short-lived.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I had to invest in a breaker bar for bolts that were stingy.

·
Industrial Designer
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Made some recent modifications to my air intake system. Don't have any pics just yet since I'm detailing the final finishes but I do have some soundbites to share:

It's hard to tell a difference between the two but I do plan to take some decent pics this weekend once I'm done. ^_^

K&N Drop-In filter w/ Magnaflow High-Flow catalytic converter.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts