Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mentioned this in a few other threads about the software version and HU, but I am trying to compile some of my findings on "fixes" and workarounds. (And I am wondering if others have seen the same issues).

My car is a 2.0T Sport (running the 1863 software on the HU). Phone is a Pixel XL running Android 8.1 (current release).

The main problem I have is that the HU fails to connect to the phone via bluetooth, and this prevents AA from working (via the wired connection). Others (in this forum and in the AndroidAuto subreddit) state that this is because I don't connect the phone to the cable before starting the car, and that I am plugging the phone in DURING the bluetooth connection process. I respectfully disagree with this statement. I have religiously plugged in the phone before starting the car, and this hasn't solved the problem.

I haven't been able to take a picture of the HU during the error message display, but it says something like "Bluetooth connection failed. Check smartphone....".

At other times, when I don't plug the phone in, the bluetooth connection also fails, so to me this is a bluetooth issue. I tried uninstalling AA from my phone, and letting it reinstall during the initial connection to the HU. I also tried clearing bluetooth cache and data from the phone's Bluetooth system app. The only thing I haven't tried yet is a factory reset on the phone - I am not ready for the nuclear option yet.

Over the last couple of days, I have experimented with ways to get the phone to connect after the issue above occurs. So far, I am thinking that the car is "forgetting" the bluetooth functions that are associated with the phone, because I find that if I go to the HU, and "Settings -> Connections -> Bluetooth -> Pixel XL", I find that the Phone and Audio checkboxes are blank. I checked them both a couple days ago, picked "Save", and the phone connected. Workaround found (or so I thought)!

However, when I tried this again today, it didn't work. I then went the the phone, turned off bluetooth, then turned it back on, and repeated the above HU Settings adjustment, and picked both of those same blank checkboxes. Once I did this, it connected again.

So this is my NEW workaround until I find that it no longer works.

My question for others - especially if you have a Pixel/Pixel XL (or a Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL) - are you seeing similar behavior? (Does the Connection menu in the HU "forget" the Audio and Phone functions, or are they always checked in the menu?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have mentioned this in a few other threads about the software version and HU, but I am trying to compile some of my findings on "fixes" and workarounds. (And I am wondering if others have seen the same issues).

My car is a 2.0T Sport (running the 1863 software on the HU). Phone is a Pixel XL running Android 8.1 (current release).

The main problem I have is that the HU fails to connect to the phone via bluetooth, and this prevents AA from working (via the wired connection). Others (in this forum and in the AndroidAuto subreddit) state that this is because I don't connect the phone to the cable before starting the car, and that I am plugging the phone in DURING the bluetooth connection process. I respectfully disagree with this statement. I have religiously plugged in the phone before starting the car, and this hasn't solved the problem.

I haven't been able to take a picture of the HU during the error message display, but it says something like "Bluetooth connection failed. Check smartphone....".

At other times, when I don't plug the phone in, the bluetooth connection also fails, so to me this is a bluetooth issue. I tried uninstalling AA from my phone, and letting it reinstall during the initial connection to the HU. I also tried clearing bluetooth cache and data from the phone's Bluetooth system app. The only thing I haven't tried yet is a factory reset on the phone - I am not ready for the nuclear option yet.

Over the last couple of days, I have experimented with ways to get the phone to connect after the issue above occurs. So far, I am thinking that the car is "forgetting" the bluetooth functions that are associated with the phone, because I find that if I go to the HU, and "Settings -> Connections -> Bluetooth -> Pixel XL", I find that the Phone and Audio checkboxes are blank. I checked them both a couple days ago, picked "Save", and the phone connected. Workaround found (or so I thought)!

However, when I tried this again today, it didn't work. I then went the the phone, turned off bluetooth, then turned it back on, and repeated the above HU Settings adjustment, and picked both of those same blank checkboxes. Once I did this, it connected again.

So this is my NEW workaround until I find that it no longer works.

My question for others - especially if you have a Pixel/Pixel XL (or a Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL) - are you seeing similar behavior? (Does the Connection menu in the HU "forget" the Audio and Phone functions, or are they always checked in the menu?)
Haven't had a problem with my EX-L at all so far, but then again just saw a video that might explain things. It described the exact same way I did mine (old car didn't have Android Auto). Granted it was on a 2018 Honda Fit so might not be a fix for you but worth a shot.

Basically you need to connect Bluetooth first. And by first I mean delete your current Bluetooth and Android connection from the cars infotainment system all together. To play it safe I would go on ahead and delete Android Auto from your phone while doing this. Let the car detect and hook up to your phone via Bluetooth once again (like when it was brand new). Once that is all said and done then download and connect Android Auto to the vehicle.

For the record I was lazy when setting this up. When I bought my car I hooked up the Bluetooth at the dealer but didn't bother with setting up Android Auto until a week later. At any rate I haven't had a problem with it at all. Doesn't matter when I plug the phone in it just works. Granted I have auto launch in Android Auto settings enabled as well when Bluetooth is connected. Anyway hope this helps.

P.S. It could also just be a faulty infotainment unit as well if it can't detect Bluetooth very easily.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't had a problem with my EX-L at all so far, but then again just saw a video that might explain things. It described the exact same way I did mine (old car didn't have Android Auto). Granted it was on a 2018 Honda Fit so might not be a fix for you but worth a shot.

Basically you need to connect Bluetooth first. And by first I mean delete your current Bluetooth and Android connection from the cars infotainment system all together. To play it safe I would go on ahead and delete Android Auto from your phone while doing this. Let the car detect and hook up to your phone via Bluetooth once again (like when it was brand new). Once that is all said and done then download and connect Android Auto to the vehicle.

For the record I was lazy when setting this up. When I bought my car I hooked up the Bluetooth at the dealer but didn't bother with setting up Android Auto until a week later. At any rate I haven't had a problem with it at all. Doesn't matter when I plug the phone in it just works. Granted I have auto launch in Android Auto settings enabled as well when Bluetooth is connected. Anyway hope this helps.
I will give it a shot, thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Reviving an old thread to say I'm having the same problems, with the same phone (Pixel XL 1st gen). I think the main issue is simply a sketchy Bluetooth connection to the car. Hard to say if it's a Honda issue or an Android issue.

Sometimes, my phone's Bluetooth connects almost instantly after I start the car. Sometimes, it actually takes minutes to connect.

Android Auto will not connect until Bluetooth connects. If you plug in your phone before Bluetooth connects, you'll get the "Connecting.." message that lingers on the screen until it either connects or it times out and give you an error.

Starting the car with my phone plugged in vs. not plugged in doesn't seem to have any effect on the speed of connecting.

Also, I've noticed that if I'm using Android Auto in Accessory Mode with the engine off, Bluetooth will disconnect and always take a long time to reconnect when you start the engine from Accessory Mode. Dropping from engine on --> car off --> Accessory Mode always seems to keep Bluetooth connected, though.

I've only owned the car for about a month, but I'm still trying to find the "best" way to use Bluetooth & Android Auto.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reviving an old thread to say I'm having the same problems, with the same phone (Pixel XL 1st gen). I think the main issue is simply a sketchy Bluetooth connection to the car. Hard to say if it's a Honda issue or an Android issue.

Sometimes, my phone's Bluetooth connects almost instantly after I start the car. Sometimes, it actually takes minutes to connect.

Android Auto will not connect until Bluetooth connects. If you plug in your phone before Bluetooth connects, you'll get the "Connecting.." message that lingers on the screen until it either connects or it times out and give you an error.

Starting the car with my phone plugged in vs. not plugged in doesn't seem to have any effect on the speed of connecting.

Also, I've noticed that if I'm using Android Auto in Accessory Mode with the engine off, Bluetooth will disconnect and always take a long time to reconnect when you start the engine from Accessory Mode. Dropping from engine on --> car off --> Accessory Mode always seems to keep Bluetooth connected, though.

I've only owned the car for about a month, but I'm still trying to find the "best" way to use Bluetooth & Android Auto.
I actually just upgraded to a Galaxy Note 9 last week and so far no issues with connection (knock on wood).

·
Sr. Lead Engineer for GE
60 Posts
I have a moto x4 and am having the same issue. Sometimes my car wont connect via bluetooth and i have to go through the setup process all over again. I cant get my phone to connect at all with my 2012 honda pilot. Seems honda needs to work out a few problems with their electronic devices. This is getting frustrating.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wireless android auto

I've been reading about wireless android auto becoming more of a normal occurrence. My friend has a Hyundai Elantra and is able to use Android Auto over Bluetooth. Is there an update to our head units that will allow this?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
This was true early in 2018, but my colleague says she runs a Galaxy S9 with Android Auto in her car and it just started working wirelessly... Weird.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a moto x4 and am having the same issue. Sometimes my car wont connect via bluetooth and i have to go through the setup process all over again. I cant get my phone to connect at all with my 2012 honda pilot. Seems honda needs to work out a few problems with their electronic devices. This is getting frustrating.
This issue is my biggest problem with the car. I had Pixel XL OG and now have One Plus 6t and both periodically give the issue of Bluetooth forgetting the phone and Android auto malfunctioning as a result. Very annoying since I try to get directions/traffic while driving and stuck with it. The only workaround is to stop at traffic light and hope to reconnect Bluetooth quickly.

On wireless Android Auto - I doubt its possible in our car. First wireless receivers were presented in Feb 18 electronics show and will likely make it to new models next year or 2, but Accord was designed with older receiver in mind. Technology in cars does not change that quickly or mid year unless its Tesla for good (better QC) or bad. Think people are mistaking Bluetooth music for Android Auto.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This issue is my biggest problem with the car. I had Pixel XL OG and now have One Plus 6t and both periodically give the issue of Bluetooth forgetting the phone and Android auto malfunctioning as a result. Very annoying since I try to get directions/traffic while driving and stuck with it. The only workaround is to stop at traffic light and hope to reconnect Bluetooth quickly.

On wireless Android Auto - I doubt its possible in our car. First wireless receivers were presented in Feb 18 electronics show and will likely make it to new models next year or 2, but Accord was designed with older receiver in mind. Technology in cars does not change that quickly or mid year unless its Tesla for good (better QC) or bad. Think people are mistaking Bluetooth music for Android Auto.

I don't want to jinx myself, but I upgraded from the OG Pixel XL to a Galaxy Note 9, and it has been flawless so far. The ONLY time AA didn't connect was yesterday, and I had just gotten a meeting notification on the screen prior to connecting to the car. I did not clear the notification prior to connecting, so it was actually on screen yet (screen was on at the time I connected, too). I unplugged it, dismissed the notification, plugged back in, and it connected fine.

EDIT: Just realized that I posted essentially the same comment a month ago (minus the part about the on screen notification - I will leave it just in case that is useful to someone else).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a moto x4 and am having the same issue. Sometimes my car wont connect via bluetooth and i have to go through the setup process all over again.
This issue is my biggest problem with the car. I had Pixel XL OG and now have One Plus 6t and both periodically give the issue of Bluetooth forgetting the phone and Android auto malfunctioning as a result.

Please make sure you contact your dealership and Honda customer care, so they get these reports. I'm having the same issue as well. More reports will hopefully mean someone will actually look into it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I finally found a definitive reason for many of my Bluetooth problems in my 2018 Accord. It's because I also have an Android / WearOS Smartwatch.

Apparently, the Android OS (at least in my first-gen Pixel XL) is not smart enough to juggle Bluetooth connections between a watch & a car at the same time. As a result, I was having constant problems with extreme delay (several minutes) in connecting my phone to my Accord's Bluetooth. In some cases, it simply wouldn't connect at all.

I sent my watch out for repairs about a week ago. The entire time I've been without my smartwatch, the Bluetooth connection to my Accord has been 100% perfect and instantaneous.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I'mhaving the same exact issue with my car/phone. Using a OnePlus6T.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'mhaving the same exact issue with my car/phone. Using a OnePlus6T.
In my case, the problem was with WearOS. If I put my smartwatch in Airplane Mode BEFORE I START MY CAR, my phone reliably connects to my Accord 99% of the time.

It's annoying (particularly when I forget to do it, and my phone refuses to connect even if I put my watch in airplane mode AFTER I start the car), but it works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, I never thought of how a watch would affect that. iOS must be doing something right because my wife's devices never seem to have or cause issues. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In my case, problem keeps coming and it defies any supposed root cause.
1. Happened with infotainment system, dealer finally replaced it due to another issue (repeated reboots when starting car) and new infotainment system has same issue.
2. Happened with OG Pixel, which I replaced with One Plus 6T and it does the same thing. Bluetooth also forgets family members as well (another One Plus or Motorola phones) and requires repeated stop and repair. Sometimes restores itself after infotainment sporadically reboots (which is a different issue).
3. It does not matter if cables are plugged before or after to initiate Android auto, just when the car starts it fully loses BT. I do not notice it usually when not using Android Auto, so it usually comes to light when I start Android Auto navigation and start driving the car. Especially painful when trying to get out of DC downtown after hockey game in traffic and not being able to get directions.
4. Once in a while, BT reconnects on its own, sometimes I drive for an hour and it is suddenly connected, a few times it connected after 10 min (so I did not have directions for short period of time), but some other times BT issue required stop, full reconnect of the phone, and at times it worked and at times it did not. Most success I had was to force reboot of infotainment system by quickly shifting in rear after starting the car (defect I already mentioned).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I finally found a definitive reason for many of my Bluetooth problems in my 2018 Accord. It's because I also have an Android / WearOS Smartwatch.

Apparently, the Android OS (at least in my first-gen Pixel XL) is not smart enough to juggle Bluetooth connections between a watch & a car at the same time. As a result, I was having constant problems with extreme delay (several minutes) in connecting my phone to my Accord's Bluetooth. In some cases, it simply wouldn't connect at all.

I sent my watch out for repairs about a week ago. The entire time I've been without my smartwatch, the Bluetooth connection to my Accord has been 100% perfect and instantaneous.
I dont have an Apple watch but get strange AA cannot connect messages just the same.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
11 Participants
plefloch
Drive Accord Honda Forums
Drive Accord forum, a community where Honda Accord owners can discuss reviews, service, parts, and share mods.
Full Forum Listing