Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Accord sedan 2.4l automatic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First question is probably for GTA car kits -- I got the GTA bluetooth only kit and my radio doesn't look exactly like the one depicted on their install video. On the video the plug goes vertically up into the radio, easy. On mine, that spot has a plug in it (for the XM radio I guess?), and it points horizontally toward the back. I tried unplugging it but there is very little room to move. Do I have to remove the whole radio to get this unplugged and the kit plugged it? Maybe if I remove that small screw that will expose it more somehow?

Next question is mic placement. Naturally i'd like to conceal it as much as possible just for aesthetics. I don't have a homelink. Has anyone had good luck putting their mic up there? There is a perforated cover that looks like it might be intended for a microphone. I assume ther might be a way to route the wire out of that small overhead console and across the top of the windshield? Should I keep the fuzzy mic cover if I hide it up there? I just wonder how the sound will be stuck behind that cover and not really pointing toward the driver.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was able to get that plug out by just pulling the bottom of the radio out a little, the top vents didnt want to come off so I made do without removing the whole thing. The bottom clips are rather strong so be aware of that.

Since that grate is for the stock microphone I would imagine the audio would be okay. I would take the fuzzy cover off as it is to reduce wind noise and there wont be any up there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was indeed able to get the plug out and new one in. I did remove the screw--that seemed to help. Then I used a long handled screwdriver to press down on the clip while pushing out the plug. The plug has a little lip on it that gives the screwdriver enough purchase. To get the new plug in, I just slipped it sideways into the gap behind the housing and lined it up correctly. Once it was started, I used a screwdriver to help press it into the slot completely. So even though I couldn't fit my fingers into the space behind, I still got it to work. Finally I replaced that little screw--don't know what it does or did, but it seemed to allow the plug to release.
808E71A6-03AE-4B78-88ED-AFB57849B5B9.jpeg

I hid the microphone in the roof console behind the little grille. I drilled a hole in the spot that looked like it was designed for something to clip into and glued the mic into position. The first time, the mic sat just a tad too high and the cover wouldn’t snap on cleanly, so I had to disassemble and drill the hole larger, allowing the mic to sit lower. Reglued and everything was good. I routed the wire inside the headliner lip, down the A-pillar, and back across inside the dash. Listeners say it sounds fine.

I had gotten an aux and usb dual plug off eBay for a clean install. I first tried to put it in the hole for the lighter. It looked good but was a little too high so it prevented the cover from closing all the way.

So that idea was out. Next idea was to use the holder provided with the plug, looks like it is intended for underdash installation. I glued it into place on the top of the storage box. There is a little support rib cast at that spot that I could use for alignment.

The glue felt sturdy, but I went ahead and drilled two holes with the right angle attachment and added two screws for extra stability. it looks pretty good. I dremelled out a hole in the top back to route the wires out. Looks pretty clean from the front.

I was going to get a picture all buttoned up but I realised there’s nothing to see. Mic, wire, Bluetooth module are all hidden. The plug isn’t visible from the drivers or passenger seat even with the storage box door open. The streaming music sounds great. Next I have to decide on a phone holder. No great solutions that can see, so I’ll just pick and go.

Ok, one finished pic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am in the market for a unit like this. Can anyone give a review of it? Simplicity of use etc? I like the idea of using the steering wheel buttons to control some functions. Did anyone purchase that option?

Lastly- The GTA unit looks a lot like the Yatour unit. Anyone try that one?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All I can say so far is it worked great for one night and then my starter appears to have gone out. I thought maybe the bluetooth unit had done something to the battery, but I took the battery up and had it tested, it is almost new and tested great, cleaned up the cables and connections (more). It read 12.7 V with my little tester, and starter wouldn't turn more than once even with an additional boost. So I removed the starter and took it up to be tested--bad. Looks like it is binding in the bearings because it's almost impossible to twist the shaft by hand. So no rebuild either. Waiting on the Rock Auto starter to arrive.

So yeah, the steering wheel controls worked well. It changed songs and everything just like advertised. It was plenty loud and clean enough for the stock audio. I was all happy for one night. When I get the starter in and can use it more I can add more info.

Looking at the Yatour ad on Amazon, I would say they look very similar. The link you provided said there is a newer model, $10 cheaper (but that is just for Toyota compatibility). The GTA also has plugs in both ends of the main unit, which has a slightly different shape but is basically the same size. Judging from the quality of the writing and instructions, one thing you are paying for with GTA is support. My emails to them with questions before and after purchase were answered swiftly and knowledgeably. Their PDF and video instructions were detailed and easy to follow. Of course, you can use them too if you need to. I don't know that the support quality justifies doubling the price ($150 for GTA for my car), unless of course you really need it for some reason, or have to return the unit, that kind of thing.

I believe that mine plugged into my XFM slot, which is now disabled. Looks like the Yatour doesn't address the XFM situation. The Yatour instructions appear to prescribe a separate unit, a switch, to allow moving between Bluetooth and CD Changer. (Small Print: "The MP3/CDC Switch Cable is needed for stereo with CD Changer to combine YATOUR with the CD Changer"). That switch does not seem to come with the unit. GTA guys were pretty clear about the Bluetooth not being compatible with the XFM, something about buzzing noises/interference. I haven't tried playing a CD yet, so will have to report later on that. The other accessories--the aux cable, mic, and harness, look just the same as GTA as far as I can tell from the pics.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rode around today and am really happy with the GTA kit. The volume and sound quality are good. All the controls work from the steering wheel as advertised. The CDs play without a problem. If your bluetooth is connected and playing, you can hit the Mode button and switch to a CD. If you are playing a CD and then hit eject, it will switch automatically to the bluetooth and start playing. The mic seems to be clear enough. I loaded up 3 CDs and cycled between them and the bluetooth from the steering wheel. So it all seemed good. The only question is how long the unit will last.

As far as shortcomings, my complaints are minor. It beeps everytime it connects to your phone, so if you left the volume loud (who, me?) the beep is really loud. That got old after the first time. As far as I can tell there is no pause button for the bluetooth from the steering wheel, but there's not one for the CD's either, so if the steering wheel has that functionality the GTA unit might be able to do it. The volume is controlled on both the phone and the head unit/steering wheel. That is, to get the loudest music you have to ratchet up your phone volume AND the stereo volume. If your phone is set on low volume, your stereo volume won't get very high. I've had bluetooth speakers that word that way, but the newer ones have had a kind of phone volume override, so essentially using the phone or the speaker controls the same volume as it were. My TV works that way between the cable box and the TV controls. You can use either set and it controls the same volume. No confusions. So my point is that this is doable--programmable--but GTA hasn't done it yet.

That's all the issues I can think of. If the unti goes south soon I'm sure I will report back. If it fails after a year or two I may forget to report, but I will try to do so because that is really the main question now. Several people complained on Amazon regarding the Yatour unit that it had failed around the one year mark, so I hope for the price that GTA holds up much better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rode around today and am really happy with the GTA kit. The volume and sound quality are good. All the controls work from the steering wheel as advertised. The CDs play without a problem. If your bluetooth is connected and playing, you can hit the Mode button and switch to a CD. If you are playing a CD and then hit eject, it will switch automatically to the bluetooth and start playing. The mic seems to be clear enough. I loaded up 3 CDs and cycled between them and the bluetooth from the steering wheel. So it all seemed good. The only question is how long the unit will last.
Thanks for the feedback on steering wheel button functionality. One thing I am curious about is using voice activated commands with my Android phone. Such as Hey Google.... The background noise in my car now makes it difficult for the phone to translate my voice. How does your unit work with it's dedicated mic?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good question. I don't have a habit of using voice commands so I can't answer it, However I can report that phone listeners are giving high marks on hearing me and I can hear them plenty well, so I'd guess it would work with Siri or some other AI. Maybe I will try it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
No worries about trying it. Sounds like your mic install in the overhead console worked out great. I watched a youtube video on one of these but cannot remember, when you are getting turn instructions from navigation does it mute any music you were playing?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alas, I don’t have nav. It does however pause music when I get a call, and mutes music when my phone gives directions—but that is likely a function of iPhone rather than any specific GTA programming.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't have in dash navigation either, but I use Google maps a lot. I use voice commands to speak addresses etc.

I thought the gta device might control volume when the mic is in use.

Do they have a steering wheel button you use to give a voice command similar to the way oem infotainment systems work?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've never owned a car with an OEM infotainment system. In fact, those things are probably the top reason I've never owned such a car, well, after the outrageous depreciation new cars suffer. This 07 Accord is the first daily driver I've ever owned with steering wheel buttons--my wife has a 2013 Subaru with buttons that I drive occasionally, but I never use the buttons because I forget they are there. It has a backup camera too, which I also forget to look at when I'm backing up. I usually get all the way backed up and then remember that I have a camera.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with you. I recently sold my 2016 F150 due to that fear. Just too much stuff tied into that infotainment. I miss the truck, but find the Accord far more comfortable to drive. Based on what you have described here I think this gives many of the same features without the risk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts