Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a borla CBE brand new for 500 shipped (so happy) and will be installing it tomm. I know they were made for coupes but tons of ppl run them on the sedan. After some research I've found a lot of ppl saying they have "heard" either one or more of the hangers needs to be relocated or ~4" needs to be added to the exhaust for good Fitment. Id like to know definitively what needs to be done so I'm not wasting my time reinventing the wheel tomm. I'd like to save some time and hassle by getting a good answer first. Please help me out ppl!!

·
Roll Tide!
7,678 Posts
Another case of order it first and worry about the details in the 11th hour. I'd start googling since you plan to install these tomorrow. You didn't give the unpaid membership here much time to come to your rescue before you jump in with both feet. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
I didn't know there is a acronym now for catback exhaust, CBE......

You shouldn't have done that, that was my first mistake when I was 21. It was a 98 Accord V6. I got a catback exhaust for a coupe and installed it on the sedan. It was crooked in the mid section. Then I had to go to a muffler shop to have them chop it at a spot and add a 4" pipe. It's not worth it because you will leak later if the weld isn't good.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok...first of all...I researched every combination of exhaust parts for three months before buying this...second of all...if u have no meaningful input just save it...I'll update this thread with useful input after my install...so if you have this question years down the road please thank me instead of these others. thanks anyway DA...I'll stick to v6p

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
I bought a borla CBE brand new for 500 shipped (so happy) and will be installing it tomm. I know they were made for coupes but tons of ppl run them on the sedan. After some research I've found a lot of ppl saying they have "heard" either one or more of the hangers needs to be relocated or ~4" needs to be added to the exhaust for good Fitment. Id like to know definitively what needs to be done so I'm not wasting my time reinventing the wheel tomm. I'd like to save some time and hassle by getting a good answer first. Please help me out ppl!!
... It was a 98 Accord V6. I got a catback exhaust for a coupe and installed it on the sedan. It was crooked in the mid section. Then I had to go to a muffler shop to have them chop it at a spot and add a 4" pipe. It's not worth it because you will leak later if the weld isn't good.
Ok...first of all...I researched every combination of exhaust parts for three months before buying this...second of all...if u have no meaningful input just save it...
Not to entice the angry wrath of a new member, but t-rd did offer some first hand experience with purchasing a coupe cat back exhaust for a sedan.

I'm a little leery that you spent 3 months ACTIVELY searching this ... Do you have an '07 V6 like you name implies you have ? There's a TON of recognizable brands that make sedan specific exhaust systems ... I learned this from a 10 second Google search ...

Good luck with the install mate.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to entice the angry wrath of a new member, but t-rd did offer some first hand experience with purchasing a coupe cat back exhaust for a sedan.

I'm a little leery that you spent 3 months ACTIVELY searching this ... Do you have an '07 V6 like you name implies you have ? There's a TON of recognizable brands that make sedan specific exhaust systems ... I learned this from a 10 second Google search ...

Good luck with the install mate.
He offered experience on a cat back (not borla) on his 6g. So that's not super useful. And yes I'm aware of all the exhausts available that bolt right up pnp. I learned in my three months of research that I want a borla...with Ritchie's rv6 v3 jpipe...and v3 hfpc..bc I want minimal drone and rasp. I learned this through listening to every sound clip and vid on youtube, azine threads and v6p threads. I know what I want...and don't need to justify my decision to anyone. I'm asking a simple question. If you all r convinced I'm rushing this that's fine, but without going into a dissertation on the research I've done I'd like to keep this simple. Anyone have a borla part # 140080 on a 7.5 v6? Please chime in.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Why is it that most people pursuing something that's out of the ordinary always have that "I made my mind so I don't care about what you all have to say, just tell me how to make it work" mentality? I wish they could apply the same decisiveness (stubbornness?) to making it work themselves.

Get it to work and then post a guide here how it all went. Innovators have to go all the way. You can't get angry because people have a different (better) way of doing things. You can't improvise experience. You have to accept everyone's opinions. You've been researching for 3 months, some people here have been modding for decades.

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
If you don't want to listen, like many young guys here, that is fine. I'm just offering an advice regarding what I did and why it didn't work out, which ended up wasting me money. I dumped almost the entire catback exhaust system, sold the mufflers only, and went back to stock b-pipe + Comptech axle back mufflers.

I bought an exhaust system for a coupe, way back then, Borla didn't even bother making it for any imports. With the 3" to 4" chassis length difference, the tech who installed the system for me had to move forward the dual mufflers a bit, so the muffler hangers were stretched in strange ways. The mufflers also touched the rear under side of the bumper, causing burns on the polyurethane plastic bumper. The mid section b-pipe's resonator also didn't line up with the stock "space" for fitting in that resonator. The b-pipe also scraped the rear anti-sway bar from time to time. I drove like a young guy, enjoying that mad exhaust sound for a few months. Then I got sick of "short" exhaust pipe problem so I went to Meineke and they welded on a section of pipe that doesn't match the complete stainless steel aftermarket "CBE". It was a ugly hack but it worked. The exhaust drone was bad, especially when it was raining, the resonance would match at a certain RPM and I get a surrounding waving droning effect. The car lost a lot of torque at low end. This was the age before youtube, and nobody posted exhaust sound clips.

You can listen to all the exhaust clips, but in the end, you need to be in the car with that exhaust system and drive it through all RPM range. If you "think" that you are gaining power because of an entire catback system on a naturally aspirated engine, then by all means prove it with a dyno here. And most likely you'll find power gains near the top end, where you don't hit a whole lot. Larger diameter exhaust means slower exhaust flow speed at lower RPM, which equates to less torque until you hit higher RPM.

So good luck to you and post results here.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
God nvm DA... I already said I'd update with my findings...I have no problem going it alone...so much for trying to get a little help...stay tuned...u guys have no idea how old I am or how much research I've done or how long I've been modding cars. You all just jump on the "he has few posts so he's an idiot bandwagon"...well I'd leave this forum rite now if I didn't have unfinished business. Consider my update my last post. And mods please cut the fat in this thread and leave the findings. To actually help future members w this same question

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You got help alright, just not what you wanted to hear. Best of luck.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
1,015 Posts
u guys have no idea how old I am or how much research I've done or how long I've been modding cars.
We do now. ;)

Subscribing for the update after the install......

·
Roll Tide!
7,678 Posts
.... or how much research I've done
three months of research that didn't reveal how to make it fit :dunno:

listening to sound clips of exhaust on the internet is like trying to figure out which pizza tastes better by watching Papa John's and Dominos commercials. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

hope you get it installed tomorrow and the custom fab work at your local exhaust shop doesn't break your bank.

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
1,018 Posts
I have the Boral Cat back on my 03 coupe 6-6 and my muffler guy needed to do some custom modding to make it fit nicely. He also threw the clamps in the garbage as he said they were useless and welded everything up nicely. I don't advise doing this yourself. I also have the RV6-Jpipe. It sounds and performs great, but it's not an easy DIY. Putting this on a sedan will be an even bigger nightmare.

·
Carpe Diem
3,159 Posts
OP, when I installed a coupe exhaust on my sedan, the shop had to weld on a 3" extension to get it to fit.

·
Registered
329 Posts
listening to sound clips of exhaust on the internet is like trying to figure out which pizza tastes better by watching Papa John's and Dominos commercials. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
I'm sorry jimijam but you win worst metaphor of the year.

07j30 wins best thread of the year.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess im the only one on here who looks at the ingredients on their pizza before making a decision...sounds to me most of these members promote buying somthing without looking into it at all...bc it's "pointless" to search videos and past threads when deciding on mods. first time I've been flamed for searching before I post..one of the many reasons I'm leaving.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,480 Posts
Call the WAmbulance, there's a serious crier over here.
People are not just sitting around with all the answers, waiting for you to ask the questions. If you had asked if someone installed a Borla coupe exhaust on a coupe, you would have had a slight chance at a quick informative answer. The fact that you want answers to installing a coupe exhaust on a sedan makes it laughable that you wanted answers TODAY, so you could install the exhaust TOMORROW. Think about the odds.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE:

Well fellas I must say...this one really broke the bank. I took it to a very reputable shop I've known for over a decade. It's called my garage and it cost me 2 hours. Half of that time was removing the stock "cbe" (that means cat back exhaust). This project wouldhave been cut in half with another set of hands.

The stock "cbe" measures 120.25"from third cat flange to tip. the borla measures 118.5". Math tells us this is 1.75" shorter than the stock unit. I started at the mufflers and worked my way towards the jpipe assembling each piece. This way when the final piece goes in its easy to see which way the flange should be oriented to match up at the correct angle. my guess is these other shops stared at the flange and oriented it improperly, resulting in sections needing to be rearranged and hangers moved. If you do it my way IT WILL BOLT RIGHT UP IN THE FACTORY SPACES WITHOUT RUBBING OR CONTACTING ANYTHING ELSE WHAT SO EVER.

I will say this. Reference the pics below to see where the tips fall in relation to the bumper. If you so desire you may add a 1.75-2" piece of 2.25ID "extension" in the area circled in red. For me it's not a big deal, if I get any staining on my bumper I will add this section which will take me 30 min tops.

If you don't have a 06-07 sedan you will need to make cutouts in your rear bumper as well. I did not as I have an 07.

Cliff notes: work distal to proximal, take your time, it bolts up without modification just fine. Add 1.75"-2" extension of you want.

Please feel free to delete almost all comments before op (that means original post)

PICS:
Installed

1.75" tip shortfall

Add extension here if desired

Thank you and goodbye

Reactions: MindFork

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,480 Posts
Too high, and too short, try again.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts