Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the message from LM performance that my system would ship towards the end of Feb, it was at my house when I came home yesterday. Like a kid in a candy store, I went right to work and started the installation. Nice surprise when I opened the box, a Borla cap.

First off, this should be a pretty straight forward installation, at least one would think, it hardly was. I am not totally impressed with the over all fit and there is one major glaring issue with this being a bolt on exhaust. My Bassani exhaust I installed on my 350Z is far more complicated and fit much better. Borla uses what is about a 1/4 inch flange welded to the pipe. The factory flange is a fraction of that. The problem is that the bolts welded on to the exhaust pipe arent long enough to clear the flange and allow the Borla exhaust to be rebolted. I had to take my car to a shop to get them to punch those bolts out and then use new bolts (these dont come with the exhaust and I didnt have the tools to do this myself).

After that was done, despite my best efforts, the fit is not perfect, its just a little off and I will live with it. Some people may be severely bothered by it.

Some tips, lubricate the hangers really well because getting them off are a bitch! I sprayed my original bolts with liquid wrench and they came off with no problem (my car is over a year old already).

Now for the review. Surprisingly, this is a pretty quiet system. Given the mufflers are half the size of the factory ones, I expected it to be louder. Its marginally louder from inside the car. At full throttle, the Takeda intake drowns out any perceivable exhaust sound. At normal driving though the two seems to give the car a slightly sportier note, but again, hardly loud. I am sure its much louder outside the car or more noticeable from outside the car.
My guess it will probably get a little louder as it gets broken in, my Bassani exhaust came to life after a few 1000 miles of driving.

I am looking forward to getting my car back to the track to see what if any improvements in performance these mods actually make. Going to give my ECU some time to adjust first.

BTW, my car is an EXL V6 coupe with an automatic.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Did you end up re-installing your stock exhaust to get to the shop? Boy I hope I don't have that much trouble installing mine. I've got a sedan though. Mine isn't getting shipped until the end of feb :thumbsdow

·
Love my Coupe
32 Posts
Can you post any sound clips? I have a 2013 EXL V6 coupe with an automatic also.
Thinking of buying Borla Coupe Exhaust but I want a deeper sound than stock!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Can you post any sound clips? I have a 2013 EXL V6 coupe with an automatic also.
Thinking of buying Borla Coupe Exhaust but I want a deeper sound than stock!
You can go to pilotbears lil red build thread for sound clips.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pretty sad with Borla's reputation, particularly if not even a cat back, if the figment is that poor. Also with only a modest increase in exhaust note and little increase in power why even bother for $500 or whatever they are?

·
Registered
184 Posts
After that was done, despite my best efforts, the fit is not perfect, its just a little off and I will live with it. Some people may be severely bothered by it.

Surprisingly, this is a pretty quiet system. Given the mufflers are half the size of the factory ones, I expected it to be louder. Its marginally louder from inside the car. At full throttle, the Takeda intake drowns out any perceivable exhaust sound. At normal driving though the two seems to give the car a slightly sportier note, but again, hardly loud.

thanks for the review. you answered pretty much every question I had about this exhaust. this is definitely not for me. looks like I will be going custom. wish GReddy would offer something. has anyone else tried to contact them about an exhaust? I emailed them probably 6 times without any response.

·
Love my Coupe
32 Posts
You can go to pilotbears lil red build thread for sound clips.
Pilotbears is not the same, It was custom made and had two options, they choose the louder one! No option for this one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It does sound a little deeper than the stock system, and as I drive it some, its opening up a little bit. But it is far from loud, but from the outside loud enough and different enough to let people know this is not the stock exhaust. Given the nature of this car, I am probably ok with it not being loud or obnoxious. Dont get me wrong, it sounds nice, just not going to wake up your neighbors or drown out the wheeze from the kid in the Civic that pulls up next to you. I guess it sounds mature.

If you look at the picture of the flange, the factory flange has a curved lip so it looks like it is thick metal, but it isnt. The Borla flange is that thick. Unless Honda used different length bolts on the model Borla used to develop this, the welded original bolts simply arent long enough.

PS - those are Race Ramps. If anyone needs or wants ramps to work on their car, these are awesome. They are super light and do not slip at all, not an inch. I got the two piece ones. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. High quality, work as advertised.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
so it seems that it is poking a little too far out?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so it seems that it is poking a little too far out?
The tips are straight, not slanted like the factory tips, so they do stick out a little. But my system is not perfectly symmetrical, one side sticks out a tad more than the other...it doesnt really show through on the pictures, and its minor, but some people would not be happy. I can probably get a muffler shop to manipulate the hangers to get it perfect if I really want to.

·
Registered
175 Posts
how about a sound clip?:yes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Install mine today and I had the same problem with one side sticking out more then the other. The system sounds good beside that minor defect.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just looked at the AFE site, the Takeda system actually has the flange machined for clearance of the nuts. Why couldnt Borla do this? Sent Borla an Email. I would expect better of them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I spoke with someone from Borla. He was in customer service, and did not know there was a problem but was going to pass the issue on to the engineering department. My system was obviously from the first batch of production (everything with my Accord seems to be the first batch including the car itself) so perhaps it was a manufacturing oversight. They did offer to reimburse me for the installation costs but I only gave teh mechanic who did me a favor $20 for helping me out. So hopefully they correct this minor but major issue.

·
Registered
147 Posts
thanks for the review. you answered pretty much every question I had about this exhaust. this is definitely not for me. looks like I will be going custom. wish GReddy would offer something. has anyone else tried to contact them about an exhaust? I emailed them probably 6 times without any response.
GReddy does not care about the Accords. That has been made blatantly clear. We also called them multiple times and they were supposed to let us know when to bring my car to them for R&D. Never happened. This is because they only sold about 20 kits for the previous model Accord and didn't feel it was worth their while.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues people have been having with the Borla kit. I will forward this thread to my contact and see what he says about it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Was going to install mine today but didn't get around to it. Might just wait to see what happens about the fitment issues. I won't be happy if the fitment isn't right. Maybe borla will have a fix for this.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts