Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder. A few weeks ago I had both my radar detector and my iphone plugged in and charging through a dual outlet DC adapter which was plugged into my front power accessory socket. Then, suddenly it stopped working (radar powered off, phone wasn't charging). I smelled a slight burning smell coming out of my power socket. Now, nothing works when plugged in there. Also, nothing works when plugged into the second accessory socket located in the center console arm. I have checked for blown fuses marked for the accessory outlet - both under the hood and in the bottom driver side panel - everything is fine there, no blown fuses. Unless I missed a fuse to check.

Could this be an electrical problem? Could this be a problem with the socket? Why isn't the second socket working - could it be a short in the wiring?

Trying to solve this problem on my own with the help of a friend. He plugged in a voltage meter into the socket and said it was getting power. Could someone kindly provide some steps to take to solve this problem and what parts could be ordered, etc., Please help! Many many thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would start by checking for any damage with the wiring. It's easy to gain access to that area, start by removing the trim around the shifter and work your way towards the socket. When you gain access to it, remove the wiring under the socket and check for any obvious signs of physical damage on the circuit. A multimeter would be helpful to determine if electricity is coming out of it. Also check if electricity is coming out of the fuse box and try replacing your fuse; sometimes it's not obvious that a fuse has blown. Again you will be able to determine that with a multimeter.

·
Registered
200 Posts
you said you checked the socket with a multi meter and it said it was receiving power?? Sounds like it is working it may have fired your adapter. Have you tried just plugging in an accessory that you did not have plugged into the adapter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, forgot to say that the devices plug into another vehicle just fine. I will have my friend replace the fuse and check the wiring.

I read somewhere there is also a fuse box over on the passenger side - is this true? Haven't checked. Maybe it was for another vehicle.

Thank you all the responses. Will report what we learn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, forgot to say that my friend did try to carefully pry around the socket trim but we could not pull the socket out, seemed tight and he was afraid to go further. Where should we start pulling from? I'm afraid of the trim not being able to be put back together the same way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh, forgot to say that my friend did try to carefully pry around the socket trim but we could not pull the socket out, seemed tight and he was afraid to go further. Where should we start pulling from? I'm afraid of the trim not being able to be put back together the same way.
Remove the shifter trim first, not the socket trim.

skip to 1:20.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, thank you Pita!! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update. It was the #9 fuse - which we initially neglected to check - or at least I did. My bad, but luckily that is all it was! Occum's razor comes to mind: "when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better." Thanks again all for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts