Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a newbie to this forum and never owned an Accord in my life until recently. I wanted a reliable and fun car to drive, did my research, and bought a 2007 Honda Accord LX 4cyl with 55100 miles on it. Prior to purchasing the car, I had it inspected at a third-party mechanic and test drove it for a bit. They looked at the engine, interior, exterior, and underneath the car. Noticed a fair amount of rust but the mechanic said it's not too big of an issue. They gave it a "thumbs up" to purchase. The vehicle was bought for $9100.

A few things I've noticed and would like your input on,

- During idle, the engine purrs and fluctuates (no purr, low purr, no purr, low purr, and so on)

- After getting the wheels balanced and alignment done, I notice a low whirling sound at low speed in correlation to the spinning of the wheels. Told the dealer and they said it could most likely be due to uneven tire wear exposed from the alignment. This sound is pretty hard to hear. I also did the left and right turning test and don't hear anything, so it's probably not the bearings. At high speeds, you won't hear anything.

- After a complete stop and then accelerating again, going from 1st gear to 2nd gear feels like a small struggle. Dealer says this is normal.

Everything else seems fine but I would like your inputs on whether some of the stuff I've mentioned is normal or should get checked out again.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I will be the first to say it, pics or it didn't happen :)!

You made a wise choice bringing a third-party mechanic to inspect it. I did the same with my Accord. I'm not an expert but I'd suggest cleaning the MAF sensor and throttle body to try and fix the idle problem. Possibly replace the air filter if that hasn't been done. Do you know what maintenance has been completed on the car?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some pics I took earlier,

Sorry about the lack of engine pics or more interior pics but I can assure you that they are very clean. ;)

Welcome to the forum!

I will be the first to say it, pics or it didn't happen :)!

You made a wise choice bringing a third-party mechanic to inspect it. I did the same with my Accord. I'm not an expert but I'd suggest cleaning the MAF sensor and throttle body to try and fix the idle problem. Possibly replace the air filter if that hasn't been done. Do you know what maintenance has been completed on the car?
Car has a clean record and was regularly maintained. They put on fairly new tires, Michelin tires to be exact. They said brakes are at above 50% life. All fluids were topped off. Didn't ask them about air filters or if they cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
My guess of the Idle fluctuations is the compressor and the cooling fans coming on at idle as it would normally cycle or it could just be the cooling fan coming on keeping the operating temperature in the normal range.

The transmission sounds normal, but take a look at the fluid and see what its condition is, I would go ahead and do a 3X change with the new DW1 fluid.

The sound is a hard one, as I tend to hear a similar sound in my TSX but it seems to come and go hard to pinpoint.

Good luck with your new ride, take car of that rust by using a rust encapsulator.

·
Montana, USA
2007 Accord SE, I-4 automatic
3,847 Posts
Look at that radio display. Mine is the very same radio (on an '07 SE) yet the text on the LCD display is white and the background is black. I wonder why there's a difference?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look at that radio display. Mine is the very same radio (on an '07 SE) yet the text on the LCD display is white and the background is black. I wonder why there's a difference?
No idea :p

Check / replace your accessory belt to see if that helps your idle. Link somewhere in this epic thread: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/15-7th-generation/145746-so-you-just-bought-7th-generation-accord.html
Accessory belt, you mean the Serpentine belt? I'm going to see if the arrow lines up with the notch later today to see if I need to replace it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
My car(s) idle just like yours. I believe Greg has it right, it idles-up to handle AC or defogger or etc., then back down.

·
Registered
692 Posts

In '07 the stock LX (and VP) stereo is a single disc unit. The SE (and EX) is 6 disc with a security code. Higher trims include satellite radio.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
It is a different model radio. He has the basic LX, which is a lower model than the SE.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
- During idle, the engine purrs and fluctuates (no purr, low purr, no purr, low purr, and so on)

- After getting the wheels balanced and alignment done, I notice a low whirling sound at low speed in correlation to the spinning of the wheels. Told the dealer and they said it could most likely be due to uneven tire wear exposed from the alignment. This sound is pretty hard to hear. I also did the left and right turning test and don't hear anything, so it's probably not the bearings. At high speeds, you won't hear anything.

- After a complete stop and then accelerating again, going from 1st gear to 2nd gear feels like a small struggle. Dealer says this is normal.
Hey mate - welcome to DA, and to Honda's !!

I would clean my throttle and MAF right way, as previously noted, as the cheapest and quickest fix ... hopefully it helps.

Regarding the "whirling noise" ... have you visually inspected the treads ? Try rotating the tires and see if the noise follows the tire.

1st gear to 2nd having trouble - read up on the drain/fill process, and change the tranny filter while you're at it ... hopefully that resolves that one for you too.

Cheers, and good luck with everything !!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey mate - welcome to DA, and to Honda's !!

I would clean my throttle and MAF right way, as previously noted, as the cheapest and quickest fix ... hopefully it helps.

Regarding the "whirling noise" ... have you visually inspected the treads ? Try rotating the tires and see if the noise follows the tire.

1st gear to 2nd having trouble - read up on the drain/fill process, and change the tranny filter while you're at it ... hopefully that resolves that one for you too.

Cheers, and good luck with everything !!
Thank you!

I made a list of stuff to do and everything you and the other members mentioned is on my to-do list in the next few days. The whirling noise is definitely coming from the driver side front wheel and it is following the noise of the tire I believe. I did inspect the threads but I can't find anything wrong with them.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Thank you!

I made a list of stuff to do and everything you and the other members mentioned is on my to-do list in the next few days. The whirling noise is definitely coming from the driver side front wheel and it is following the noise of the tire I believe. I did inspect the threads but I can't find anything wrong with them.
Honestly mate - it could be something like a nail or even stone stuck in the tread groves ... or it could be a small "bulbing" out of the tire (I just had two of my low-profile tires bulb during my cross-Canada move).

Do you only hear the noise, or are you feeling a very slight vibration ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honestly mate - it could be something like a nail or even stone stuck in the tread groves ... or it could be a small "bulbing" out of the tire (I just had two of my low-profile tires bulb during my cross-Canada move).

Do you only hear the noise, or are you feeling a very slight vibration ?
I hear the noise and and feel the bumpiness of the tires at low speeds. I just can't find anything wrong with the tires though. I felt them and inspected them all around.

Today, I got the serpentine belt (Dayco) along with the engine air filter (Fram) changed for $25 by a really nice guy at Autozone after his shift was over. The belt and the filter were also reasonably priced.

After the change, I noticed a few things. The arrow on the tensioner is not on the right side of the notch anymore, it is all the way to the left edge of the notch but still in the notch I believe. The Autozone employee who helped me out said the spring in the tensioner might have a problem.

The old air filter was yellowish? and just dirty.

The power steering is not as loose anymore, which is good. Idle is a little smoother but still getting the off and on purring.

Next on the list is to clean the MAF, the throttle body, and also change out the transmission fluid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts