Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Accord EX-L sedan. Starting today, there is an audible click sound coming from the shifter area if I press the brake pedal when the car is in park. It clicks every time I depress the brake pedal while in park, but does not click in neutral or drive.

Does anyone know what this is?

·
Registered
611 Posts
That's the clicking of the locking mechanism that let's you shift out of Park...
If you don't depress the brake it will lock the shifter in Park.
Safety feature that prevents you from shifting out of Park without depressing the brakes.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the clicking of the locking mechanism that let's you shift out of Park...
If you don't depress the brake it will lock the shifter in Park.
Safety feature that prevents you from shifting out of Park without depressing the brakes.
Thank you for the info. My question is why after 17k miles and a year and a half of driving is it all of a sudden making the loud click? What changed? Should I be worried? Can I get it fixed, because if nothing else it is annoying.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
You just started noticing it, that's all. It can't be fixed. ALL cars do this.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Unfortunately it didn't just happen. (every accord does this)
You just only stsrted noticing it.
There is no fix because that is characteristics of the car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just heard this today for first time. Never heard it before and I had my car for a year. Taking it to the dealer on Monday. I'm hearing the clicking in shifter and I can also feel it.

13 EXL V6 Navi

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just heard this today for first time. Never heard it before and I had my car for a year. Taking it to the dealer on Monday. I'm hearing the clicking in shifter and I can also feel it.

13 EXL V6 Navi
Read the other posts. The sound is normal, whether you noticed it before or not. Nothing is wrong. But sure, take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but reading through it, I couldn't help but laugh a little. All the awesome mechanics in here telling the OP it's perfectly normal, yet no one knows the name of the part. Just that it can't be fixed lol. First, it's the shift interlock solenoid. Second, a slight click to no sound is perfectly normal...a loud clicking sound is not. I've worked on Honda's (and Toyotas) for 20 years, and have driven multiple models of each since 1996. Not one have I driven with an "overly" audible solenoid. Doesn't mean it's about to fail, that's possible anytime, but switching it out (or possibly cleaning it with an electronics spray) and blowing out the surrounding area will make the loud click go away. So no, you're not crazy, it did just start or has been gradually getting louder over time. It's an inexpensive part and easy fix, plenty of diy info online.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but reading through it, I couldn't help but laugh a little. All the awesome mechanics in here telling the OP it's perfectly normal, yet no one knows the name of the part. Just that it can't be fixed lol. First, it's the shift interlock solenoid. Second, a slight click to no sound is perfectly normal...a loud clicking sound is not. I've worked on Honda's (and Toyotas) for 20 years, and have driven multiple models of each since 1996. Not one have I driven with an "overly" audible solenoid. Doesn't mean it's about to fail, that's possible anytime, but switching it out (or possibly cleaning it with an electronics spray) and blowing out the surrounding area will make the loud click go away. So no, you're not crazy, it did just start or has been gradually getting louder over time. It's an inexpensive part and easy fix, plenty of diy info online.
Or you could just buy a new one. Not sure how hard it would be to switch one out, a little bit of a pain to get to because of removing all the trim, but a new one is $20. Item number 3.
https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/v-2014-honda-accord-coupe--lx-s--variable/chassis--select-lever

Attachments

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,399 Posts
If the radio and A/C are off, and there isn't much noise from anything else, it will seem loud. Especially if you sit there and repeatedly press and release the brake pedal. Most of the time you aren't paying attention, and/or there are other noises, so you don't notice it.
If the solenoid is clicking, it's working. I certainly wouldn't change one that is working as it should. When you press the brake pedal, there is no click, and you can't get the shifter out of Park, that's when you need a "Fix".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for a definitive post on this. I just replaced the front brake pads on my 2004 HALX and noticed the clicking shifter syndrome when I pressed the brake repeatedly with the car running while in park. Thinking about it, ordinarily I'd never do that. The typical sequence of events involving park is 1.) press brake, start car, shift out of park, go and 2.) press brake, stop, shift into park, turn off car. The interlock noise and vibration probably was there all along but was masked by the shifting sequence.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Funny how he never updated this thread after he said he was taking it to the dealership. They prob said the same thing as everyone else

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had my cup holder replaced since the prongs came undone. Since then I've noticed when I press the brake pedal while the car is running in park I can hear audible clicking sound coming from the shifter area. I checked online people say it's normal as it's the mechanism locking etc. But I wanted to confirm with other Honda owners to see if they hear it too. It's just all of a sudden it's become louder or I notice it now. With no radio on or AC I can hear it clearly when pressing brake pedal. Does anyone else hear this as well? I have accord 2016 v6
Thanks

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
You are hearing the safety interlock on the shifter, it is a solenoid that opens to move the shifter out of park only when the brake us pressed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
You are hearing the safety interlock on the shifter, it is a solenoid that opens to move the shifter out of park only when the brake us pressed.

I know they say this is normal but being someone whose OCD I would have picked up on this sound. It isn't quiet by any means it's a decent volume to which even with half speed ac I can hear it.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
When they replaced the cup holder they may have moved the solenoid in contact with the console or left out some sound deadening material. I'm my TSX I could hear that solenoid loudly. In my 2013 Accord it is very quiet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts