Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I probably brought this on my self by buying the cheapest brake pads for the front, was in a cash bind so just went with the cheapest.

Anyways, now my problem is that after washing the wheels, 3-4 days later they are covered in this brake crap again. VERY IRRITATING. I plan on running out and getting the best pads I can, but is there also some kind of chemical I can spray onto the rims to repel this brake dust stuff?

Lastly, anything extra I should no about changing the brake pads on this car? Can't be much different than any other car i've worked on, right? Remove the caliper bolts, slide off and replace the pads?

Thanks all! Any input or advice will be appreciated.
(2006 Honda Accord Sedan, 4cyl)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Get yourself some ceramic brake pads. They will end your dust problems. I had the Akebono pads from Tire Rack on my XJ8. They stopped as good as the stock pads and my wheels weren't dirty every few days.

·
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will definitely try this, should I avoid Napa/Auto parts stores and order online or does it not matter?

·
Honda Racing Evolution
2,179 Posts
There is no "avoidance" bro. This is one common problem for aftermarket pads, depending on which ones you get and some do it more then others.

Here is a video to help you

·
No lifetime fluids!
1,323 Posts
NAPA does have good parts, but you have to get their upper tier (more expensive) line.

I myself really can vouch for the Wearever Platinum Ceramics. I was skeptical about the Advance Auto home brand but these pads are great. They stop well and leave hardly any dust (more than likely I just can't see it). I have had them on since 25k and I'm coming up on 34k now.

Plus, you can order online, add a coupon code, and pick them up in store and save some money. :thmsup:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Any ceramic brake pad should cut down on the brake dust a lot.
Sounds reasonable to me. What I've also noticed is that pads that have a "light" color cut down on brake dust. Or at least whatever dust is produced just isn't very visible on your wheels. Unless you have black or dark wheels of course. Be aware to look for lighter colored pads. I suspect most ceramic pads are light colored.

·
Registered
374 Posts
better pads will reduce the dust but every car owner should treat his wheels..

1. wash wheels with dawn diswashing detergent
2. two coats of Collinite #845, 12 hours apart

most brake dust slides off with a hose after this....
As per the norm...+1. Collinite won't keep the dust from returning, but it'll make it much easier to wash off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts