Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed during the summer when I would pull off the road and into a driveway at moderate speed while braking, I could feel the pedal 'crunch' and it felt like I bottomed out (even though I wouldn't). It felt very uncomfortable like I was losing control of my brakes.

We had some snow today and I was playing around and noticed it again when I lost some traction. Is this ABS I'm feeling? I've never had a car with ABS before.

·
Freelance Gynecologist
215 Posts
Yeah, you're likely feeling ABS which gives a pulsating feel in the brake pedal. If the car were older I'd be concerned about the brake fluid, but in your case I'm not too worried. Now if the car isn't stopping or continuing to slow down under braking, then absolutely bring it in to the dealer.

FWIW you'll stop faster if you can manage to brake to the point right before your ABS kicks in, but even for the best driver, shit happens and I'm sure you'll grow to appreciate the safety feature.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Anti-lock brakes work by measuring the speed of all four wheels. If one wheel locks up on a slippery surface the decelerating wheel sends a signal to the computer that opens and closes the antilock valve rapidly for the wheel that is not turning to allow it to begin rotating. Skids occur what the wheels lock up and stop turning. Keeping the wheels rotating prevents the skid but lengthens the stoping distance but you can steer the car. The valves open and close rapidly which is transmitted to the pedal as vibration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts