Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize by definition nobody on the 2013+ forum has likely done a brake flush yet, but I'm bored sitting in a waiting room and reading my new Accord manual. It says you really should use only Honda brand dot 3 fluid. Is this just the normal manufacturer BS? They go on to say that you can use any Dot3 or 4 but you should change it for the honda as soon as possible. On my older Honda the consensus was that any dot 3 or 4 fluid is fine. Same here I assume?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I am not sure about the brake fluid but you can damage the power steering pump using non Honda power steering fluid and you can damage your cooling system by using non Honda antifreeze. I would not take the chance and just buy the Honda fluid from your dealer.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
bobistheoilguy.com has dozens of threads on this topic. Dot 3 is Dot 3, regardless of brand. Most important is to change it out every 2-3 years.

Having said that, I use only Honda brake fluid when I do a flush as the price is no more than $4 more (when I order online) than if I bought a brand such as Valvoline at my local Advance Auto. I am ordering other Honda parts online anyway- so it saves me a trip.

On a minor note: I do prefer the small Honda bottles. Two bottles is what I need for a flush- and I don't have to worry about a half a large bottle of Valvoline brake fluid gathering moisture in my basement. Brake fluid is hygroscopic- so it should be used right away after opening.

If you ever want an eye opener- fill two cheap beakers with 10ml each of brake fluid and gasoline with 10% ethanol. After a week in the summertime, see how much fluid you now have in each beaker. In Chicago's humidity, they each "grew" 2ml of moisture.

·
6MT JUNKIE
719 Posts
I am not sure about the brake fluid but you can damage the power steering pump using non Honda power steering fluid and you can damage your cooling system by using non Honda antifreeze. I would not take the chance and just buy the Honda fluid from your dealer.

As long as you are using the right type of fluid i have flushed my brakes, manual tranny fluid with Motul and it works better under harsh conditions and same under normal usage. There is aftermarket fluid that performs worse. But if you dont mind the extra $$$ there is better that wont mess up your car. Even for you CVT nuts they have better lubricants.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
As long as you are using the right type of fluid i have flushed my brakes, manual tranny fluid with Motul and it works better under harsh conditions and same under normal usage. There is aftermarket fluid that performs worse. But if you dont mind the extra $$$ there is better that wont mess up your car. Even for you CVT nuts they have better lubricants.
I guess this CVT nut takes all of his cars to his local Honda dealer for service. That way I get the correct fluids and Honda has a record of regular service. This can come in handy if you want to persuade Honda to either extend the warrantee or give you a courtesy discount on repairs if you have an issue after the standard warrantee has expired.

·
6MT JUNKIE
719 Posts
I guess this CVT nut takes all of his cars to his local Honda dealer for service. That way I get the correct fluids and Honda has a record of regular service. This can come in handy if you want to persuade Honda to either extend the warrantee or give you a courtesy discount on repairs if you have an issue after the standard warrantee has expired.
Its a Honda. Hopefully it should have minimal repairs the first 100k :) outside of fluid changes.

·
Banned
784 Posts
I realize by definition nobody on the 2013+ forum has likely done a brake flush yet, but I'm bored sitting in a waiting room and reading my new Accord manual. It says you really should use only Honda brand dot 3 fluid. Is this just the normal manufacturer BS? They go on to say that you can use any Dot3 or 4 but you should change it for the honda as soon as possible. On my older Honda the consensus was that any dot 3 or 4 fluid is fine. Same here I assume?
Don't mix Dot3 and Dot4 - each has a specific boiling point for different applications so it is not a good idea to mix brake fluids. Brake fluids - I don't think it matters which brand you use as long as it meets the specifications of DOT3. Transmission fluid is the only fluid buy Honda brand for 9th gen Accord.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't mix Dot3 and Dot4 - each has a specific boiling point for different applications so it is not a good idea to mix brake fluids. Brake fluids - I don't think it matters which brand you use as long as it meets the specifications of DOT3. Transmission fluid is the only fluid buy Honda brand for 9th gen Accord.
Not sure this is correct....I've read many threads to say DOT 3 and 4 are fully compatible. DOT 4 just has a slightly higher boiling temp.

Now DOT 5 is indeed completely different and is silicone-based or something so it is NOT compatible.

I bought some Valvoline last year and is listed as DOT 3/4.....they don't sell both 3 and 4.

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
I have always replaced the stock brake fluid with Motul RBF600 and now they have the RBF 660 that can mix dot 4 and dot 3 without any issues as dot 4 has a higher boiling point and the Motul fluid resists water more effectively

·
Banned
784 Posts
Not sure this is correct....I've read many threads to say DOT 3 and 4 are fully compatible. DOT 4 just has a slightly higher boiling temp.

Now DOT 5 is indeed completely different and is silicone-based or something so it is NOT compatible.

I bought some Valvoline last year and is listed as DOT 3/4.....they don't sell both 3 and 4.
I have not mixed the two types nor bought 3/4 combination. I have used either Toyota DOT3 or Honda DOT3 as the brake fluids are very cheap.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dot 3 is essentially Dot 3 as someone else already stated. Nothing special about the Honda brand. The important thing is changing it out every 2 to 3 years and worst thing you can do is disregard this maintenance.

I had massive issues with my clutch system on a truck (clutch system on manuals typically uses DOT 3 as does the honda manual) where I neglected changing out the fluid. Seal went bad in a couple locations.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,005 Posts

You are correct. Dot-3 and Dot-4 (and even Dot-5.1) are the same and can safely be mixed. The only thing that will happen by mixing them is you will change the boiling point. But for most people, that won't matter.

Honda's brake fluid is Dot-3, so if you mix it with Dot-4 or Dot-5.1, you're going to raise the boiling temp. That's not a bad thing.

Dot-3 boiling temp is lower than Dot-4 which is lower than Dot-5.1

Dot-5 is silicone based and incompatible with Dot-3, Dot-4, and Dot-5.1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts