Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today was not one of my finer moments in life. Early this morning I was topping off some fluids in my 08 accord when I noticed my power steering fluid reservoir was at the 'min' line. Thinking to myself "well I will just pour some more in to put it in the middle of the two lines", I grab what I thought was the PS fluid and filled up from the MIN line the middle of the two lines. Upon capping off the bottle I look at it as I place it on the shelf and realize my grave mistake...it was brake fluid.

So I know that this is a problem that must be fixed. I have NOT started the car or moved the wheels since realizing my mistake. Do I:

A) turkey baste out just the reservoir (as doing a test of putting PS fluid and Brake Fluid in a clear container to find that the brake fluid is less dense and floats to the top

B) Drain the entire PS fluid system

C) take to it the dealer to be flushed and re-filled

·
Banned
294 Posts
So today was not one of my finer moments in life. Early this morning I was topping off some fluids in my 08 accord when I noticed my power steering fluid reservoir was at the 'min' line. Thinking to myself "well I will just pour some more in to put it in the middle of the two lines", I grab what I thought was the PS fluid and filled up from the MIN line the middle of the two lines. Upon capping off the bottle I look at it as I place it on the shelf and realize my grave mistake...it was brake fluid.

So I know that this is a problem that must be fixed. I have NOT started the car or moved the wheels since realizing my mistake. Do I:

A) turkey baste out just the reservoir (as doing a test of putting PS fluid and Brake Fluid in a clear container to find that the brake fluid is less dense and floats to the top

B) Drain the entire PS fluid system

C) take to it the dealer to be flushed and re-filled
Either you or the dealer, drain the entire power steering fluid and have the dealer refill it for you and not just the power steering reservoir but the entire system. That way, you get the brake fluid out *and* you get ALL fresh fluid.

your steering will be better in the process. honestly I would replace the hoses too and perhaps even buy a new reservoir and put that in. that way you really get an upgrade in the process. I did this along with replacing the drive belt (not timing belt) although I am not recommending replacing the drive belt because it would be too costly but you really get a brand new car if you did that. I would stick with replacing ALL of the fluid as a bare minimum and maybe the hoses and reservoir. my thinking is if youre gonna get all new fluid, yo might as well get a new reservoir(there is a screen at the bottom that wears out over time) and if you got the money, new hoses.(there are two, an upper and lower)

·
Doc Mojo
1,499 Posts
if you're not going to tow your car, i'd suggest siphoning out the brake fluid on the top layer (perhaps even most of the fluids that u can siphon out in the reservoir), top it off with PS fluid, drive to the dealership, have it drained/flushed and get the reservior/hose replaced.

personally, i have problems with dealerships working on my car, I would do everything myself without having to move the car at all.

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Just siphon all the fluid out of the reservoir. If you didn't start the car it shouldn't have went down. You also need to realize that fluid expands, I believe its supposed to be at the minimum line to allow for expansion when the car is in motion...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just siphon all the fluid out of the reservoir. If you didn't start the car it shouldn't have went down. You also need to realize that fluid expands, I believe its supposed to be at the minimum line to allow for expansion when the car is in motion...
Yea like I said in my original post this was not a bright point in my life and probably should have left well enough alone. I have been kicking myself in the a$$ all day long.

My thoughts were along the same line of reasoning that if I hadn't started it then there would be no reason to believe that the brake fluid would be ingested into the PS lines. I have to believe there is a check valve in the system leading up to the reservoir that would prevent back filtration into the system. If in fact the brake fluid is less dense than the PS fluid, then I don't physically see how it would affect anything other than the reservoir, and beginning of the lines.

Ilovemy06vtecv6, i appreciate the suggestion/advice. I dunno if I want to replace the entire system. The car only has 40k miles on it. I guess I have a tough time coming to grips with my poor decision.

Thanks again to all for all the advice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 9 of 9 Posts