Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2nd Deer
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like its about time to do a brake job on my '04 EX 4-cyl sedan.

The rear driver pad appears to be dragging the rotor a bit at low speed, so I'm guessing the pad is likely worn out. I never needed brakes in the time I've owned it, and I'm assuming these are the original OEM brakes (purchased car at 41K, now at 132K)

Assuming the calipers are good, how much would be a fair amount to have 4 pads installed, and rotors turned? Also, are the rotors expensive? just in case.

·
Registered
231 Posts
At our shop it would roughly $290 with Honda pads and aftermarket rotors. The rotors are cheap. Usually by 132K they are all rusted so it's not even worth a resurface. Do it yourself it's simple!

·
mobiless2
2,200 Posts

·
2nd Deer
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you recommend using Honda pads? I'm not looking for any aftermarket performance mods, but I didn't know if the brand mattered.

Back in the old days I used to buy Bendix brake pads, but won't if it makes a difference (plus the shop I bought those from is now out of business)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought replacement rear pads from Advance Auto Parts for around $45. On this or another forum someone recommended them. They have done fine. I've yet to replace my front pads and am amazed they are still fine. I went to the dealer for an oil change (coupons keep them competitive) and they did the inspection and never mentioned brakes.

Changing the rear pads is a bit of a challenge because of the way they are manufactured and I ended up taking it to a friend of a friend who works at Acura and had him do them.

·
Registered
231 Posts
We do a lot of brake jobs and OEM Honda pads are the best choice IMO. We use a lot of Raybestos pads also. I tried a new type of brake pad on my Accord and hated them. They are called Adaptive One. The inside pad is semi metallic and the outer pad is ceramic. One for better braking and the other to control dust. Guess what? My wheels were dirty ALL the time. I complained to the Napa rep every time he came in. We even tried a second set of pads with just as much dust. Finally today he switched them out for Napa Premiums. So I'll see how those goes. I should have just stayed with the OEM, but what ever.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do it yourself me and my nephew did new pads and rotors all the way around for just under $280 from NAPA (if I remember the $$ right it was over a year ago) ... took us under an hour to finish

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brakes

Autoeverything.com is the best site ive come across yet

Go EBC rotors and match performance level pads
I used Hawk HPS----They feel great and perform even better

1 - 8 of 8 Posts