Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gents,

My 04 Accord LX I4 has reached 185K miles this week. The front brakes make grinding noise now, and judder steering wheels pretty bad when braking at high speed. The measurement two months ago were:
front lining: 5mm
rear lining: 3mm
I have only replaced front pads once for the 185K miles it had, cheers.

To ensure trouble free service for a few more years, I would like to do the brake job. I plan to order the OEM front pads, and rear shoes (I believe LX I4 rear brake is a drum setup).
43053-SM4-A01 SHOE SET, RR. BRAKE $42.56 $42.56
45022-SDA-A51 PAD SET, FR. $43.54 $43.54
45251-SDC-A00 DISK, FR. BRAKE $77.07 $77.07
45251-TA5-A00 DISK, FR. BRAKE $80.09 $80.09

The question is the front rotors, they have gone through two sets of pads for 185K miles, never been resurfaced or replaced. They are warped.

Is it a good idea to resurface the rotor?
Or should I bite the bullet and buy new rotors for about $80 each? Ouch, the OEMs are expensive.

It also need a brake fluid flush. How much honda brake fluid do I need to buy?

Thanks for your suggestion,
Kevin

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,446 Posts
I bought NAPA (Raybestos) rotors, for about $50 each, and they have been working great with the new OEM pads. The Honda rotors are too expensive for what you get. If you are using Honda fluid, I would get two of the little bottles. A lot of people use aftermarket fluid, and buy a quart. I don't. Be sure to lube the calipers, and watch them for problems after the new pads are installed. Are you doing this yourself?

·
Registered
375 Posts
You might need rotors, you might not.
I had my rotors turned "on the car" at Pep Boys Auto and they look nearly new 15 months later.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought NAPA (Raybestos) rotors, for about $50 each, and they have been working great with the new OEM pads. The Honda rotors are too expensive for what you get. If you are using Honda fluid, I would get two of the little bottles. A lot of people use aftermarket fluid, and buy a quart. I don't. Be sure to lube the calipers, and watch them for problems after the new pads are installed. Are you doing this yourself?
Time to look for aftermarket rotors.

I use a shop to do the work. Any suggestion where to buy the parts?

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,446 Posts
I wanted to buy the rotors from a local store, so if there was a defect in one, I could get a replacement at NAPA the next day. Didn't want to have to ship rotors back just because one had a low spot on the machined surface. I returned one of the Raybestos rotors because of a low spot, but If I would have ordered them online, I probably would have let it slide. I don't know what part number you need, as far as the brake shoes, but I suggest using your VIN to look up the parts, so the website gives you only the choices that fit your car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts