Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went Yesterday to Mechanic to Change the Brake Pads, After He Installed the New Brake Pads i found that the Brake is not like before its little Loose and not working Nicely.

Also when i push Brake hard in Speed above 50 Kms the Car goes right direction after applying brakes.

I went back to the Mechanic & he spent about 3 hours to check different things and then he told me that Brake Caliper have Problem. then he asked me to bring the brake caliper sliding pins (Picture Attached)

I Searched Many Shops but didn't find this.

Can anybody confirm me what can be the problem.

(Mechanic also change the Wheel Hops for both Front Sides)

Attachments

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
That is a picture of your front caliper's sliding pins. The one with the little notch at the end is the slider pin for the top of your caliper. The other slider pin goes on the bottom.

They don't seem to have any lubrication on them....did you clean them, or was there no lube on them?
Where is the little rubber boot at the end of your slider pin?

They have a small amount of corrosion on them that should have been cleaned before being re-installed into your brake caliper's bracket. This corrosion can cause "stickiness", or "grabbing", or the symptoms of a "stuck" caliper. A stuck caliper, especially if it is your front right caliper, would cause the car to swerve to the right when braking.

Your brake caliper itself may be in need of a rebuild. If you let the slider pins get bad, over time, they don't move the whole caliper as it should move. THAT, over time, means the cavities where the slider pins go into, as well as the caliper itself- will be stuck and will need to be rebuilt.

What exactly is a "wheel hop" that your mechanic replaced?

This is a slider pin after it has been cleaned up.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you RickBlaine

The rubber boot was there was there when i went to Mechanic First time but when he gave me to Search these in Market there was none.
Do you think that absence of rubber boot is Problem?

I went to another Mechanic and he told me to change right Caliper.

He replaced both wheel Discs we call them "Hops"

Can you please tell me what should i have to replace, I cannot find any good Mechanic.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Not sure where you're located. The caliper slide pins and boots can be purchased from just about any auto parts store. Some may be offered in a single kit but the links below are separate items.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...0167960-p?searchTerm=brake+caliper+slide+pins

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...8310465-p?searchTerm=brake+caliper+slide+pins

If the car goes to the right "after applying the brakes", that means the passenger side caliper is not releasing so make sure the pins are lubed. Take some caliper lube to your mechanic as they tend to throw any grease in their that they have on hand.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...be-permatex_7730004-p?searchTerm=caliper+lube

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,722 Posts
I'm confused as to why your mechanic is giving you parts to find. If you take your car to a mechanic to get it fixed, isn't that his job???

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am living in Small City of Saudi Arabia so that I cannot find these things.

the car goes to the right "after applying the brakes", as this Car is left hand Drive so what do you mean that problem is in Left side Caliper? but Mechanic Told me that Problem is only in Right Front Brake Caliper Pins.

Here Mechanics Refuse to Bring the Small things as they Have no time ..Sad

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
i am living in Small City of Saudi Arabia so that I cannot find these things.

the car goes to the right "after applying the brakes", as this Car is left hand Drive so what do you mean that problem is in Left side Caliper? but Mechanic Told me that Problem is only in Right Front Brake Caliper Pins.

Here Mechanics Refuse to Bring the Small things as they Have no time ..Sad
If not readily available, I would try to find used or fix the current pins. The rubber boots may be similar among other vehicles if you can find used. Rub the slide pins down with steel wool to expose clean metal then lube them up real good. I've fixed plenty of brake calipers just by doing that. The other option is to buy a whole new caliper if available.

PS: Add your location and car to your signature to save time.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Mind-Blowingz:

OK, let's get these answers for you....

1) Regardless if your car is left-hand drive, or right-hand drive, the problem is what Drew said: Your front right caliper is sticking. That needs to be fixed. We did not know you were in Saudi Arabia so the phrases "Driver-side" or "Passenger-side" were misleading to you. Our apologies. Again, the problem is your right front brake caliper.

2) Wheel hops = brake rotors....OK, got it!

3) Drew is bringing up a STRONG point. When your mechanic puts the slider pins back in, he MUST use the proper brake lube. If he uses white lithium grease to lubricate the slider pins, your brakes will work great for about 3 weeks, and then they will be ruined as the white lithium grease will burn off. I've been to Beirut many times, and I know what a hot day is in the area- below is a picture of the PROPER lubricants for brakes.

4) As Drew said, those slider pins will have to be cleaned so that they look like the slider pin in my picture above. Use steel wool, a Brillo pad, Scotch Bright pad, etc. to clean it up good. ALSO, the hole where the slider pin went into may have corrosion in it. Your slider pin goes into a hole in the bracket. If the slider pin has corrosion as your slider pin does, you may have to ask your mechanic to wrap some sandpaper around a pencil and "clean out" the hole in the bracket where the slider pin goes to.

Too much corrosion in that hole means that the slider pin can't move freely. That will quickly cause a stuck caliper.

Look at item #11 in this parts diagram:

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/...5/exl/5-speed-automatic/chassis/front-brake-1

5) The rubber boot: Honda will say that the rubber boot (item #9) is there to "slow down" the sliding of the brake caliper, as well as to allow you to quickly and easily change brake pads by holding the bracket "up". Regardless, I would say that you need that rubber boot.

You asked if the rubber boot was the cause of your sticking brake caliper: I had a thread on this a month ago. Yes, it can be the cause....If your rubber boot was swollen fat, it could cause a sticking brake caliper. Rubber boots can swell over the years, they can shrink, they can crumble to dust. In my picture way above (post #2), one boot is new, the other is 8 years old and swollen. It was causing my brake caliper to stick just a little bit. I replaced that rubber boot.

Please make sure the rubber boot isn't stuck in the bracket's hole. That would cause the slider pin to not be fully seated into the hole. Your mechanic has got to clean that hole.

6) What you need to do:
A) Clean the slider pins to look like new
B) Have your mechanic clean the two holes in the brake's bracket to look like new
C) Find a rubber boot for your slider pin- make sure it is not swollen (see my picture above)
D) Make sure your mechanic uses hi-temperature brake lubricant.
E) As Drew mentioned, add your exact car (model and year) and location to your signature.

May I ask you, are you working in Saudi Arabia under contract or do you live there?

As far as mechanics go, the most industrious and capable mechanics I ever met are in Iraq and Vietnam. In those two countries, seemingly everyone knows how to re-build everything in a car, motorcycle, or scooter. It might have something to do with economic sanctions and a need to keep things running. Report back any questions and good luck!:thmsup:

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Yes, thanks Rick. I should have specified right caliper vs driver/pass, not knowing location. Good point about the holes were the slide pins go. I usually shoot some brake cleaner in there, then clean with a rag draped over a screw-driver (sort of like using a Q-tip). I then blow out the hole with compressed air to dry the solvent before applying lube.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very Much @RickBlaine you are great.

I will go to Mechanic again and Ask him about other things.

I am on work Visa in Saudi Arabia, Actually most of Mechanics here are from yemen etc they don't understand the Problem (May be Because of Language Gap).
There are Very Good Mechanics from South Asians Countries but they are mostly in Big Cities so moving there is not easy.

I am related to IT industry but i love to work myself in Automobile etc, so i take interest in these things.

Thanks all for your Suggestions.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
You are welcome but please:

1) Thank Drew as he has helped everyone on here at one time or another.

2) Please add a "signature" with your car's model and year, engine size (V6 or I4) and your location.

3) Report back when the job is done, and tell us your mechanic used the proper brake lubricant.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
The purpose of those sliding pins are they move in and out when you press the brake pedals. If it's pulling to the right while braking, it's either those pins are seized, caliper piston is stuck, or brake line is clogged. If it was working well before and started to have problems after the brake job. Check the tightness of the pins and make sure they are lubed. If all is well, you suspect caliper piston is stuck, jack up the side you are suspicious and put the car in neutral with parking brake on, and rotate the wheels. If it takes a lot of force just to turn the wheel, the caliper piston is seize.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The purpose of those sliding pins are they move in and out when you press the brake pedals. If it's pulling to the right while braking, it's either those pins are seized, caliper piston is stuck, or brake line is clogged. If it was working well before and started to have problems after the brake job. Check the tightness of the pins and make sure they are lubed. If all is well, you suspect caliper piston is stuck, jack up the side you are suspicious and put the car in neutral with parking brake on, and rotate the wheels. If it takes a lot of force just to turn the wheel, the caliper piston is seize.
I also feel that brake is little Loose (I have to Push the Brake more) after Changing the Brake Pads.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I also feel that brake is little Loose (I have to Push the Brake more) after Changing the Brake Pads.
After a brake job, your brakes should feel firmer, not the opposite. Ask the mechanic to properly bleed the brakes. He sounds a bit incompetent if you ask me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all for Help.

First Problem (Car moves right after applying Brake) Has been Solved, i found a good mechanic & He Rubbed, Cleaned and Lubricated the Caliper Pins and also Changed the Brake Pads (According to him that was not original).

But There is one More Problem, the Brake Padel is Soft It goes down to apply the Brake.
but brake Works nicely, Some time the Padel don't go down but mostly it goes down to Apply the brakes.

One Mechanic told me that it can be Master Cylinder Problem but i don't think so because of couple of reasons. Firstly, I have replaced the Master Cylinder Before 8-9 months Secondly, i have Experienced the Failed Master Cylinder and when it Fails brake goes down more & more as you push Frequently.

One of my Friend told me that it can be Booster Problem, He showed me some Oil there but i think this oil is months old.

What you Suggest guys?

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Mind-Blowingz:

A) Thank you for adding that information to your signature.

B) As others have mentioned, you most likely have air in your brake lines.

C) Do you know how old your brake fluid is? The manual calls for no more than three years old. If it is older than three years, you definitely have water in that brake fluid. I change it more often as I sometimes find myself in humid climates, and that attracts more water. There is a procedure to change the brake fluid- it is called "bleeding the brakes".

Here is an excellent video from a mechanic named "Eric the Car Guy":
www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5O_pbC8R2E

You should use "DOT 3" brake fluid. Use brake fluid from a new, unopened container. That is because brake fluid is hygroscopic- it will attract water.

Do NOT use "DOT 5". That will ruin your brake system.

D) Congrats on taking care of the first problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you @Rick i will ask Mechanic to do this bleeding, but i always use the high quality brake oil as you have mentioned.

I Feel one more thing that whenever i apply brake with full power the brake works but left Tyre Slips for while i mean Friction with Road, What do you think? may be right side Brake is still not working perfectly?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts