Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
1 of a Kind
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought new brake rotors for the front axle of my 13' Accord sedan ex, but can't figure out which is the best ceramic brake pads to replace the OEM ones.

Been looking at HAWK and EBC but need help choosing or other options.

Anyone know more about this so I can make the right choice before I start ordering and installing brake rotors and pads?

Appreciate the help in advance guys.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am curious also but I still have about another year yet before I need my brakes done.
I have heard good things about Hawk but I haven't ever used them. My go to pad has always been wagner, but I want to try something different next time.
What is the length of time these will last vs buying napa brake pads? I don't race and the vehicle is my daily driver in mainly city driving.
I usually get about 70k miles from wagner pads before they need replacing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was leaning toward Akebono for the fronts. I read alot of reviews of Hawk brake pads...even though they have superb braking power above the rest...lots of brake dust....i'm not for that.
Oh that's good to know I didn't realize they made a lot of brake dust. I will probably pass on hawk pads then too.

·
1 of a Kind
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't seem to find anyone that sells the Akebono PROACT for the front axle??

Anyone where to get these, searched all over the web for these.:dunno:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Can't seem to find anyone that sells the Akebono PROACT for the front axle??

Anyone where to get these, searched all over the web for these.:dunno:
I emailed them:

We don't have a specific time frame, though it should not be too long from now since it is already listed in the catalog. I'll keep an eye out for our bulletins and email you back once we have it released.

Have a great day!.

Thank you,

Sarah Greene l Aftermarket Customer Service Representative
Akebono Brake Corporation

Does anyone know if the brake pads for the 4 cyl will fit the V6?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I actually did some research and TSX and 8th Gen brake pads are the same part number for the 9th Gen. So I ended up getting me a set of Project Mu brake pads. I haven't installed them yet because I'm waiting for my suspension to come in so I can do everything at one thing. But I've owned Project Mu brakes before and there is little to no brake dust and they lost a long time.

·
1 of a Kind
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually did some research and TSX and 8th Gen brake pads are the same part number for the 9th Gen. So I ended up getting me a set of Project Mu brake pads. I haven't installed them yet because I'm waiting for my suspension to come in so I can do everything at one thing. But I've owned Project Mu brakes before and there is little to no brake dust and they lost a long time.
Project Mu is way too rich for my blood lol.
given they are good pads, but mine is just a daily driver so no need to for expensive performance pads for my front wheel drive car :nuts:

·
Registered
11 Posts
do you have part numbers. thanks in advance

·
1 of a Kind
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since I needed to hurry and install my brake rotors and replace OEM pads during this weekend, I ended up choosing Powerstop Z16 Evolution Ceramic Pads.

I was hoping to get the Akebono PROACT pads for the front axle, but apparently not distributed yet so...went this route.

I'll post up some pics after the install and write a short review of my opinion on the drilled & slotted rotors along with the brake pads from Powerstop.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
Akebono Performance Pads...love them to bits. I abuse the crap out of my brakes and in 5k miles they show no wear. Minimal dusting. Great cold performance, even better hot performance.

(I know it's a bit late since you already ordered)

·
1 of a Kind
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Akebono Performance Pads...love them to bits. I abuse the crap out of my brakes and in 5k miles they show no wear. Minimal dusting. Great cold performance, even better hot performance.

(I know it's a bit late since you already ordered)
Ya I've been looking everywhere for the Akebono brake pads for the 9th gen accord ex front axle...but no part store or online websites have it. They may have them for the LX/sport but not for EX/EXL/V6 models (different rotor/caliper size).

Let me know if you know a website that are selling them, i'll buy them to replace what i just bought.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ya I've been looking everywhere for the Akebono brake pads for the 9th gen accord ex front axle...but no part store or online websites have it. They may have them for the LX/sport but not for EX/EXL/V6 models (different rotor/caliper size).

Let me know if you know a website that are selling them, i'll buy them to replace what i just bought.
Read my post above. Part # is in the system, but they aren't actually released it.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts

I'd probably just email Akebono sales and ask them what's compatible with your car. Chances are they know but haven't updated the catalogs yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just had my LX at the dealer for a parking brake issue. It was almost out of travel, and not hardly working. Turned out to be a frozen rear caliper, which they replaced under warranty. Wow, 34k seems a bit early..

They told me that it needed rear pads and rotors, but I passed on their cost of $440. Did some research at Tire Rack and Akebono websites, and ended up getting Akebono pads front and rear, and all new Centric rotors for $265 out the door. It took a bit of research to get the correct rear pads, as the catalog is not complete. I guess there is some advantage to having a LX!

I put that same combination of pads and rotors on my 2006 Pilot and have been very happy. It had the famous brake shake just as my 13 Accord has right now! Can't Honda get brakes right? My VW's have all been much better in that area.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting to note that the Tire Rack shows a different part number for the front pads than Akebono. I also had to do a bit of cross referencing to get the rear pad part number; I should have looked on here first, as the rear part number was stated above already!

I'll find out who was correct for the front pads when the shipment arrives!

·
1 of a Kind
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ya they made everything for the LX models before they did anything for EX & above.
I attempted to take off my front rotors during this weekend but couldn't get the dang 2 screws off the rotors lol, even with an impact driver.

Will try again July 4th weekend and hopefully have new rotors and pads installed.

Probably look at the rears also, cause now you got me thinking about the rears lol.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts