Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
Just drill them out with a 1/4" bit. Use the lugnuts to seat the new rotors on the hub....ratchet crank them down a bit further than they would crank with the wheel on.

·
Registered
841 Posts
So I bought new brake rotors for the front axle of my 13' Accord sedan ex, but can't figure out which is the best ceramic brake pads to replace the OEM ones.

Been looking at HAWK and EBC but need help choosing or other options.

Anyone know more about this so I can make the right choice before I start ordering and installing brake rotors and pads?

Appreciate the help in advance guys.
I have asked around a LOT about this. As a tech is see TONS of customers complaining about brake squeals and usually its aftermarket parts. The honda stuff works great and stays quiet. Interestingly enough I work with a bunch of guys that autocross. They say they have tried many different brands, but they always stuck with a quality slotted rotor, and honda factory pads.

I cant say from my own personal experience, however these guys are very good techs, and they are known in the autocross world.

·
Freelance Gynecologist
303 Posts
I have asked around a LOT about this. As a tech is see TONS of customers complaining about brake squeals and usually its aftermarket parts. The honda stuff works great and stays quiet. Interestingly enough I work with a bunch of guys that autocross. They say they have tried many different brands, but they always stuck with a quality slotted rotor, and honda factory pads.
Its interesting that you say that, because that's been my experience too. I went through aftermarket pads before. I keep coming back to OEM for street use because for my use, they're the best compromise between noise, dust, and all-weather performance. Obviously if you're at a track, you might want something more aggressive, but the truth is most amateur drivers at HPDEs and Auto-X won't come anywhere close to using their brakes to their full potential (not saying I'm any better). I tried the EBC yellow stuff pads before, they were alright. Lots of people swear by HAWK ceramics or the HPS for their daily driving, but there are equal numbers of complaints.

I second using the Honda OEM pads. I can see some merit in using aftermarket rotors, but do some research to understand what you're actually getting out of the features on your new rotors. I'm willing to bet you'll never use the thermographic paint driving to walmart.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I mentioned before in this thread that i know a lot of people who autocross/race their hondas, and they all prefer honda pads. hearing others say the same only solidifies the notion that OEM pads are among the high quality pads out there. I have personally had aftermarket performance rotors and so far havent had a problem, however i have only gone with a slotted pattern. ive heard that cross-drilled rotors are prone to cracking unless very high quality (expensive) rotors are used. I wouldnt know for sure as i havent used them, nor do i know anyone who has.

Has anyone worked with "dimpled" and slotted?

·
HK Moderator
13,923 Posts
Compromise is for clowns.

For autocross, get insanely aggressive pads. You will be glad you did when you are making your 4th 100 mph - 20 mph slow down. When the event is over, change your rotors and pads back for street use. In my Dodge Stealth TT, my rotors/pads would last 2 days. But going 140 mph down to 20 mph again and again was worth it.

I run cross drilled/slotted rotors and have for about 15 years (and yes, on my Honda). I NEVER had a problem. No stopping benefit- I simply like the look. Those cracking "stories" are from the old days.

99% of rotors are made in China, so if you want to waste money on 4 exotic-name rotors for $500, have at it.

Disassemble, clean, re-lube, and re-install the brake hardware every year- and bleed the fluid every 2 years (not 3) and your brakes will love you. I do about 10 Honda brake jobs a year- never had a problem.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Compromise is for clowns.

For autocross, get insanely aggressive pads. You will be glad you did when you are making your 4th 100 mph - 20 mph slow down. When the event is over, change your rotors and pads back for street use. In my Dodge Stealth TT, my rotors/pads would last 2 days. But going 140 mph down to 20 mph again and again was worth it.

I run cross drilled/slotted rotors and have for about 15 years (and yes, on my Honda). I NEVER had a problem. No stopping benefit- I simply like the look. Those cracking "stories" are from the old days.

99% of rotors are made in China, so if you want to waste money on 4 exotic-name rotors for $500, have at it.

Disassemble, clean, re-lube, and re-install the brake hardware every year- and bleed the fluid every 2 years (not 3) and your brakes will love you. I do about 10 Honda brake jobs a year- never had a problem.

Thats good to know. Its hard to determine what to do when you have 1000 opinions thrown at you from all directions. I only have definitive knowledge and experience with OEM products. Everything else is i have limited experience with. What kind of cross drilled rotors do you use and do you recommend them?

·
HK Moderator
13,923 Posts
I bought my latest set up from Brakemotive- they are on eBay. I put them on my Accord, my neighbor's Accord, and my cousin's Accord. I also installed a set on my 1991 Nissan 240sx.

Here is a current listing for 7th Gens: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-4-PERFORMANCE-DRILLED-SLOTTED-BRAKE-ROTORS-AND-8-CERAMIC-PADS-M310505/290701374193?rt=nc

Each complete set was $150 delivered (4 rotors, and ceramic pads). That is "cheap", but suits me just fine. Knowing what I know about manufacturing, and seeing factories in the USA, China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, India, etc....I laugh out loud when people think that price equals quality.

I do not autocross on these (my Accord and 240sx are automatics) but again, they are fine for daily driving.

Think about how many cars can use the same rotor. Sometimes, 6 different car makers can utilize the same rotor part number across 20 different models.

·
HK Moderator
13,923 Posts
I attempted to take off my front rotors during this weekend but couldn't get the dang 2 screws off the rotors lol, even with an impact driver.
You can try several methods to remove brake rotor screws.....

When you are done playing games (lol), get one of these "machine drill bits". They do not drill through the metal rotor screws- they SHRED the metal rotor screws in about 2 seconds. Really, two seconds....
http://www.yg1usa.com/

and sold here:

and on eBay....

Two years ago, I offered to do a brake job for a single mother who just lost her job and needed her car to job hunt. I said it would take two hours. I wasted it all trying to remove rotor screws. I call up a buddy who dropped off one of these bits, and it is like the heavens opened up.

They are made for machines to shape metal, but you can attach one to your hand-held drill.

I don't recycle those rotor screws- I throw the pieces in the trash and say, "See you in hell, rotor screws!"

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
5,294 Posts
Project Mu is way too rich for my blood lol.
given they are good pads, but mine is just a daily driver so no need to for expensive performance pads for my front wheel drive car :nuts:
Then Centric Posi-Quiet ceramic pads are all you need.

StopTech = Parent company of Centric.

Jay

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put Power Slot rotors and Hawk pads on my Z71. Love them! Will definitely be putting the same combo on my 14 Sport when the time comes. I read a lot about brake dust with the Hawk and barely noticed a difference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put Power Slot rotors and Hawk pads on my Z71. Love them! Will definitely be putting the same combo on my 14 Sport when the time comes. I read a lot about brake dust with the Hawk and barely noticed a difference.
Z71 is a truck (assuming you are talking about the off-road package on the Silverado). I would imagine slotted rotors having real issues with mud in an off-road environment.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Z71 is a truck (assuming you are talking about the off-road package on the Silverado). I would imagine slotted rotors having real issues with mud in an off-road environment.
Not sure why? Slots are for heat dissipation and whatever off gassing. Even if caked solid with mud would be no less then a non slotted rotor?

·
1 of a Kind
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Do brake pads/rotors that fit the Accord LX models fit the V6 EX-L/Touring ones?
NO, the rotor size on the LX/Sport models are smaller than EX & above.

Since I needed to hurry and install my brake rotors and replace OEM pads during this weekend, I ended up choosing Powerstop Z16 Evolution Ceramic Pads.

I was hoping to get the Akebono PROACT pads for the front axle, but apparently not distributed yet so...went this route.

I'll post up some pics after the install and write a short review of my opinion on the drilled & slotted rotors along with the brake pads from Powerstop.
Ended up having to return the Powerstop Z16 Evolution Ceramic Pads.
Ordered from JC Whitney and they had there part number incorrect on their website. Luckly they returned and refunded everything. Great service!:banana:

I'll post up picks of the Slotted/drilled rotor I replaced on the front axle. Did about 3 weeks back and forgot to post up picks.
my wheels are really dirty though LOL (been raining here a lot).

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ended up having to return the Powerstop Z16 Evolution Ceramic Pads.
Ordered from JC Whitney and they had there part number incorrect on their website. Luckly they returned and refunded everything. Great service!:banana:

I'll post up picks of the Slotted/drilled rotor I replaced on the front axle. Did about 3 weeks back and forgot to post up picks.
my wheels are really dirty though LOL (been raining here a lot).
So you didn't replace the front pads then?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Akebono ACT 1654 for the fronts and ACT 1336 for the rear.
What are the long term impressions?

Considering Akebono ACT1654 for 2014 accord coupe ex-l 2.4 cvt front brake job. Research suggests this is the correct part number, I would like to know if not. (Note: interior is black leather)

·
Registered
352 Posts
So I bought new brake rotors for the front axle of my 13' Accord sedan ex, but can't figure out which is the best ceramic brake pads to replace the OEM ones.

Been looking at HAWK and EBC but need help choosing or other options.

Anyone know more about this so I can make the right choice before I start ordering and installing brake rotors and pads?

Appreciate the help in advance guys.
Sorry to disappoint you, but brake pads feel is an absolutely subjective thing (unless you can measure splits of seconds on the track), so the only way you can be satisfied is through experience.
Personally, I've been always happy with Nissins in the street and Hawks for more agressive use. Unfortunately, Hawk does not bother to produce pads for Acura RL, so after doing my BBK mod I can't use them any more...

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I kinda like the OEM pads. I have gotten GOOD wear out of them. The only ones that have been replaced were the rears because the left rear seized up. But here's the thing that makes me think I'm living in an alternate universe. I have 150,000+ miles on the car and I still am on the original brakes. On 1/14/2020 I had the dealer do a 4-wheel brake clean, lube, etc., and they measured the fronts as being at 4mm. I went back into my records to check whether I have had them done. Nada, and I think I would remember them being done even if I don't have a written record. Has anyone else had this great wear on their brakes?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts