Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brake Issue

I feel the steering wheel on my 2007 Accord EX (4 Door, 2.4L, 5AT) vibrating when I hit the brakes at speed of 60 km/h or higher.

A local garage suggested I resurface the rotors. I am not sure this is the best way forward as it makes the rotors thinner and this forum seems to echo that.

1. If I do indeed go for a resurface (which should last for 2-3 years from what I've been reading), do I need to change the brake pads as well?
  2. If I decide to go for a new set of rotors and pads, which aftermarket brands are recommended (and possibly available in the UAE)? I've read good things about Bosch rotors and pads on Amazon but not on here. If I do buy the Bosch rotors, do they have to be coupled with Bosch pads?
  3. Are there any adverse affect to using the supposedly warped rotors until my next oil service (possibly 2-3 months away)?
Shock Absorber Issue

Car bounces a bit at the rear side after clearing a hump.

Two independent mechanics concur that the rear shocks need to be changed.

1. Does changing struts at the back only make the ride uneven?
  2. Are KYB struts decent?
  3. Would you recommend buy struts with springs or the struts only? Mechanics have recommended struts only.
Additionally, one mechanic suggested I do an Oil flush. They run about a liter of engine cleaner liquid (as per the mechanic) for about 15-20 minutes and then drain the oil. Supposedly this cleans the engine of unwanted deposits. Is this recommended?

@RickBlaine You're advice is greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Anyone advising you to turn rotors is trying to pad their labour dollars and not thinking of the customer -you

These days the cost to replace rotors with new is less than the cost to remove, turn and reinstall - unless labour is free.

Always new pads with new rotors ( and new rotors with new pads) .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the rotors resurfaced for about 55 USD, using the same pads (polished with sandpaper). Wobbling is gone. Rotors cost nowhere near that from what I've seen so far...

Got rear shocks replaced with KYBs.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,895 Posts
If you have the budget, change all 4 shocks/struts. KYB is good so are Koni FSDs. Negative on the oil flush. Do a search on Marvel Mystery Oil, it's a solid brand with success, and use Top Tier gas. I agree with the members above, buy new rotors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Brake Issue

I feel the steering wheel on my 2007 Accord EX (4 Door, 2.4L, 5AT) vibrating...

Shock Absorber Issue

Car bounces a bit at the rear side after clearing a hump...

@RickBlaine You're advice is greatly appreciated...
Hi,
Regarding brake issue - I've had the same problem with my wife's '05 Accord after our trip to Yellowstone couple years ago - warped rotors. I've taken them off (these damn rotor screws!), and brought them to my local mechanic. He was going to charge me $20 for resurfacing, but did it for free, because wanted to encourage me to work on my own car. I'm not joking! These rotors still work great to this day. I've measured them, and they are still within spec. I've changed the brake pads at that time, because they were thin. It definitely is not going to hurt, if you change the rotors - it depends how much money you want to spend. The same with pads - there's no limit. On my two accords, I've been experimenting with different ones - OEM, Akebono, cheap organic, cheap no-name - and the conclusion is that you basically get the same miles/$$$ usage. The only difference is that the more expensive ones should last longer. For example, if you spend $80 for pads, they better last four times as long as the ones for $20. The only saving is labor cost, if you pay someone to change them. I change them myself...

Regarding shock absorber issue - I've installed four KYBs quick struts (shock absorber and springs) on my wife's car couple months ago myself, and she is pretty happy with them.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Got the rotors resurfaced for about 55 USD, using the same pads (polished with sandpaper). Wobbling is gone. Rotors cost nowhere near that from what I've seen so far...

Got rear shocks replaced with KYBs.
Regarding rotors, I replaced mine with Centric at least 8 years ago. I'm happy with them. I had 2 different shops inspected the brakes, they both agreed I need to replace them and resurface the rotors though the brakes have 40% left. But then again, mechanics are mechanics. They want our $$.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts