Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • Couple weeks ago the wife's 05 would occasionally make that steel-to-steel grinding noise when braking
  • Checked front pads and they're nearly new
  • Noticed lower ball joint had torn boot and a little play. I thought this was the culprit and replaced LBJ, Lower control arm bushings and upper control arm.
  • Grinding noise seemed to go way for a couple weeks.
  • Wife says it is "making a horrible grinding noise" when braking.
  • I drive it around the block, don't hear it, throw it up on a jack and check rear pads. I figure since the grinding is occasional it must be the rears.
  • Rear pads are nearly new. Cant tell the brand but the part # is DB928FF.
  • Rotor thicknesses are 0.352 (right) and 0.349 (left) in. Rotors do have heat cracks but I don't think I have a car that doesn't.
  • My Accord Manual says the "Max. refinish limit: 8.0 mm (0.31 in.)". From this it seems my rear discs still have life left.
  • All my front and rear end parts "seem" fine. I can find not anything showing wear from grinding.
  • I still get the clunkiness sounds from the front end so I think I need struts.
Any idears what else could cause grinding noises when braking (and only when braking)?

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
You've ruled out the occasional pebble/stone stuck behind the backing plates, correct?? I had one stuck there, once... and it sounded like a nightmare...
It eventually worked loose, as I saw a scored line on the inside of the rotor. doh!

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think to look for that but I saw no score lines and heard nothing when I spun them.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
No idea.

But perhaps reading this thread will give you some ideas?

·
Pilot without a plane
252 Posts
Isn't there a little raised bump on the back of those pads that has to fit in the slots of the piston from the caliper?

Any chance that didn't get aligned correctly or one of the calipers is getting stuck and not releasing all the way?

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read @t-rd's thread. I already do most of that.

I didn't see any hump on the back of the pads. Can anyone else verify if this is true?

·
Registered
996 Posts
I didn't see any hump on the back of the pads. Can anyone else verify if this is true?
Yes. There is a pin on the back on the inside rear pad than engages with a slot on the piston of the caliper. That's how the parking brake works.

Maybe the brakes are just squealing? Could be from a lack of lubrication at the metal-to-metal contact points, or just poor quality pads.

Attachments

·
Cruising in Montana
3,690 Posts
It is true, if we're talking about the rear disk brakes.

There's a pin on the back of the inside pad that needs to fit in one of the slots on the piston. The top of the brake piston has a large + in it, that pin needs to fit in one of those 4 slots.

·
Super Moderator
6,304 Posts
I am hearing here that you didn't do the brake job? The possibility of a shop messing up a brake job is HIGH, most shops don't care and just do incorrect pad slaps.

If you haven't already, you need to take the rear calipers off and inspect everything.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I did it all and it wasn't a brake job. Just a brake pad inspection. I'll have to double check that I lined up the slot to the pin. Wife did put about 10-15 miles yesterday after I put it all back together and says "wow, no more grinding noise." WTH is going on here?

·
Super Moderator
6,304 Posts
^
I did this a long time ago, on an Acura TL, when I didn't press the brake hardware all the down by a front caliper and it grinded against the rotor. The noise is LOUD. Always use a screwdriver and flatten it down all the way.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hear ya fellas. We've owned this car 18-19 months and nearly 20,000 miles. The grinding just started happening 2-3 weeks ago. I didn't do a brake job and then have the grinding noise start. It started after owning it all this time.I was sure brakes were wore and the indicator was doing it's thing. That wasn't it on all 4 wheels. All 4 sets of pads are almost new.

I completely took apart both the front and rear brake parts and could find not one single piece of evidence of grinding. I even re-did the front upper and lower front control arms and ball joints.

The only thing that seemed odd is what I've circled in this pic. It was about the size of a pin head. I couldn't tell if it was a rock or a piece of metal or nothing at all. I dug at it with a knife and some stuff crumbled out. There was no scoring on the disc. Who knows, maybe that was it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
What composite are the brake pads?
metal piece when composite was assembled? Material wore enough for that Metal piece to make grinding noise. Wear enough and noise disappeared until enough pad composite would wear to let metal grind again? Possibly

·
Pilot without a plane
252 Posts
I was pretty sure that little raised bump on the pad was on this car. I didn't know about that either so I didn't get it aligned correctly. The pad then had uneven pressure on it when the brakes were applied which caused uneven wear.

I wasn't sure if this would've been your problem too, but at least now you know about it and won't make the same mistake I did.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,100 Posts
About a month ago, I had a loud "horrible" grinding noise from the left front brake, especially when turning the wheel at low speed. I was confident that my brakes are good. So, I knocked the brake shield hard with a screw driver handle, and the noise went away.

I guess it was a piece of rock salt that the city sprayed on the streets. Man! the noise sounded like the car was going to fall apart.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts